PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

an argument for a deflationary policy in the You Ess of Heeeeey

Started by Disco Pickle, September 06, 2010, 07:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco Pickle

Quote from: phoenixofdiscordia on September 11, 2010, 06:41:25 PM
Where is Pickles? I miss him in this thread. :cry:

I'm coming back.  Still finishing up The Leviathan. 

I'll be back.  Just want to do some more reading on Hobbes.

I still think communism is a dream that will never work anywhere but in very small communities, never in a centralized government.

here, this should keep you busy and laughing until I come back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhV5RgcNJjE

the part where he pauses..  and then says "Masters in Communication!"  made me almost piss myself.

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Phox

Disco Pickle

Quote from: phoenixofdiscordia on September 11, 2010, 07:05:03 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on September 11, 2010, 06:59:02 PM

the part where he pauses..  and then says "Masters in Communication!"  made me almost piss myself.
:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

That's great.

yeah, this video is almost worth it's own thread.

all he needs is a wheel chair and he could be Joe from Family Guy
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Phox

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on September 11, 2010, 07:14:19 PM
Quote from: phoenixofdiscordia on September 11, 2010, 07:05:03 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on September 11, 2010, 06:59:02 PM

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

That's great.

yeah, this video is almost worth it's own thread.

all he needs is a wheel chair and he could be Joe from Family Guy

I also noticed he sounded like Patrick Warburton.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 08, 2010, 04:56:09 PM

Yes, but that would be illegal, and I would get caught.  Besides, my boss finally made us dismantle it.

Whaaaaaat but we never got to saw pics :(
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

the last yatto

"We cannot compete in the global market with countries like china and Mexico providing much lower labor costs,"

How does guest worker program factor into this?
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

the last yatto

"Why not remove competition through legislation? Tariffs or whatever."

Wto lawsuits, governments are limited in the help they can give to companies if they want to trade internationally. Which is why a lot of places are playing for healthcare as its a loophole to reduce costs for companies under their borders

Eta this is also something the jackasses are starting to finally point out. One of america's loophole is they pay taxes of companies operating over seas. Which does lower their costs but it encourages them to have only their hq in america with everything being made else where.
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

the last yatto

"it's simply inflationary rather than deflationary."

Fiat money vs debt? Not sure what you mean here

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Pēleus on September 12, 2010, 09:29:07 AM
"We cannot compete in the global market with countries like china and Mexico providing much lower labor costs,"

How does guest worker program factor into this?

guest worker programs are old brain drain mentality, without actually offering asylum status.  At least, that's what it SHOULD be.  Guest workers, highly educated, should be encouraged to come here and work, provided their being paid the prevailing wage.  Yes, a lot of this money will be sent back to their family, and that's to be expected.  The problem with the guest worker program is it's being used to bring in cheaper hard labor, when this country has an abundance of people capable of doing that work.  The advantage to businesses is they get cheaper labor than they would have to pay for an american, and as long as inflation in the currency keeps prices and wages at their current levels, there's no incentive for them to hire an american workers, who's going to demand a wage based on the cost of living they face because of the inflation in the currency.  This ties directly in to an argument for controlled deflation of the currency, reducing the cost of living relative to the prevailing wage, and returning the incentive to hire workers here rather than import them.

Quote from: Pēleus on September 12, 2010, 09:44:11 AM
"Why not remove competition through legislation? Tariffs or whatever."

Wto lawsuits, governments are limited in the help they can give to companies if they want to trade internationally. Which is why a lot of places are playing for healthcare as its a loophole to reduce costs for companies under their borders

Eta this is also something the jackasses are starting to finally point out. One of america's loophole is they pay taxes of companies operating over seas. Which does lower their costs but it encourages them to have only their hq in america with everything being made else where.

state managed trade, by giving advantage to companies that import from certain other countries, is a big problem in my opinion.  It's another form of priveliged law, that stifles domestic competition that would seek to employ domestic workers to provide the same service at a competitive price.  Competition goes out the window when the state shows favoritism in favor of the few who own the companies able to secure trade internationally.  This allows coorporations to gain a foothold on an industry and choke out any competitors.

In regard to your second statement, my biggest problem with defense spending is not, in fact, that it's so large (it's my second problem with it) it's that the companies, while based here, are outsourcing their production of everything from microchips in warheads, to actual DoD secure missile parts.  This shit is being made in other countries and brought back here for assembly.  The money being spent no longer stays here, as it did since before WWI.  There's no cost to wage incentive here to NOT outsource this manufacturing base to countries with cheaper labor.  If the Military Industrial system is destined to stay as large as it is, and I've found no evidence that it will shrink, only hope, then there should be a controlled effort to reduce the price to wage ratio so that the incentive returns to hire people here to build the war machines.

Quote from: Pēleus on September 12, 2010, 10:42:47 AM
"it's simply inflationary rather than deflationary."

Fiat money vs debt? Not sure what you mean here

Not sure what YOU mean here.  Fiat money (government mandated money) in this country no longer has a backing that helps control it's value.   You might say that Fiat=Debt, as the only way we've been able to grow our GDP since Bretton Woods broke down and Nixon refused to pay international debt in gold, was to increase our countries debt to the world and trick everyone into accepting our dollars as the reserve currency of the world.  The value of the dollar is based on the ability of our population to repay the collective debt we take out.  The only reason any other government still buys treasuries, is that for generations, we've worked our asses off and been able to show an ability to pay the debts we take.  This is becoming less and less a reality, as we just keep printing more in order to cover our debt, driving up prices all out of proportion to demand and wages. 

All of these things are linked, and I may not be doing a good job of tying them together, but these were my initial thoughts on a sunday afternoon..

Still working on The Leviathan PoD (shouldn't have told me you hated that btw) it's just that I got hooked on another book too.

the last yatto

"The problem with the guest worker program is it's being used to bring in cheaper hard labor, when this country has an abundance of people capable of doing that work."

:cn:

The union glenn always rants about has a contest for some of the farms, basicly they invited anyone to work the fields. Think cnn even sent a news team. Last time I checked only the reporters took em up on it. Organic and local farmer markets are ideal but cost usually has people choosing the less healthly option

After a year at fastfood, I never took a job less then ten an hour, I'm sure a lot of urban dwellers do like wise

the last yatto

Also microsoft always goes on about needing more work visas, as they are having trouble filling some roles otherwise.

Adios

Quote from: Pēleus on September 12, 2010, 09:52:50 PM
"The problem with the guest worker program is it's being used to bring in cheaper hard labor, when this country has an abundance of people capable of doing that work."

:cn:

The union glenn always rants about has a contest for some of the farms, basicly they invited anyone to work the fields. Think cnn even sent a news team. Last time I checked only the reporters took em up on it. Organic and local farmer markets are ideal but cost usually has people choosing the less healthly option

After a year at fastfood, I never took a job less then ten an hour, I'm sure a lot of urban dwellers do like wise

This is the same argument the anti Mexican fuckwads use. And it's still a false assumption.