News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

Freedumb!!11!

Started by Prince Glittersnatch III, September 10, 2010, 05:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prince Glittersnatch III

Ive noticed something rather odd.

People seem to be ok with limiting the freedoms of other people(Them) but as soon as someone wants to limit their freedom theyre suddenly big freedom lovers.

Take for instance gay marriage:

"We cant allow Gay Marriage because its immoral."
says the right in true Authoritarian fashion.
But when confronted with something that limits THEIR freedom the right suddenly becomes libertarian.
"We cant allow Hate Speech laws because its a slippery slope to authoritarianism. Bla bla bla constitution."

[Note: The reason for limiting the freedom of THEM is almost always moral]

"We cant ban Gay Marriage because bla bla bla constitution."
says the left the left in true libertarian fashion.
But when given an opportunity to limit the freedom of a group they dislike theyre suddenly authoritarian.
"We must ban hate speech. Hate speech is immoral."
[I admit this exists to a much lesser degree on the left]

So basically the constitution only applies when IM using it. But when YOUR using it you must be stopped lest you corrupt the world with your evil.
Everyone has certain inalienable rights(but only I know how to use them right)

So when the 9/11 mosque was being built(by THEM) we cannot allow it because "911 victims, outrage, offending families[Morals]"

But when some religious nutcases want to commit an act that accomplishes ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except for pissing off our allies(and our enemies, and pretty much the rest of the world) for NO LEGITIMATE REASON aside from xenophobia they suddenly become these exemplars of free speech.

FREEDUMB!!!1(for me and only me)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

The Johnny

Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on September 10, 2010, 05:16:20 AM
People seem to be ok with limiting the freedoms of other people(Them) but as soon as someone wants to limit their freedom theyre suddenly big freedom lovers.

This is an important part of why monogamy doesn't work in most cases.

It is human nature to have others under as much control as possible, while limiting others capability to control them.

OH, and also more on topic, one can play a game of Twister with discourse, as long as the standards of logic ussage are very loose.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Disco Pickle

I have a solution to this problem:

All we have to do now
Is take these lies and make them true somehow
All we have to see
Is that I don't belong to you
And you don't belong to me yea yea
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Cain

Hypocrisy and large sums of cash are the grease on which the political system runs.  As I'm sure some people around here can confirm, I was predicting the Republicans would move, rhetorically, towards Libertarianism once out of power because...well, they're just that predictable.  And they did it last time, in the Clinton years, when they cultivated elements of the militia movement.

Of course, in the interests of balance, it should be pointed out the Dems were all about "ending the war", "equal rights for all" and "stopping the excesses of the executive" until, you know, they were actually in power.

Elder Iptuous

yeah, this doesn't seem terribly odd to me.

in fact i would be kind of creeped out if it ever didn't go down like that....

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Cain on September 10, 2010, 02:36:54 PM
Hypocrisy and large sums of cash are the grease on which the political system runs.  As I'm sure some people around here can confirm, I was predicting the Republicans would move, rhetorically, towards Libertarianism once out of power because...well, they're just that predictable.  And they did it last time, in the Clinton years, when they cultivated elements of the militia movement.

Of course, in the interests of balance, it should be pointed out the Dems were all about "ending the war", "equal rights for all" and "stopping the excesses of the executive" until, you know, they were actually in power.

say whatever it takes to get elected.

none of this surprises me anymore.

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Phox

Is there a sagely nod emote? I could not find one, but there needs to be one. for now:  :mittens:

Prince Glittersnatch III

:mittens:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Lies

Heh, this is getting scary now- I once ran around the city holding up a sign that said "Freedumb" a few years ago.
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Prince Glittersnatch III

Quote from: Lysergic on September 11, 2010, 09:31:56 AM
Heh, this is getting scary now- I once ran around the city holding up a sign that said "Freedumb" a few years ago.
Great minds think alike.
Then again dumb minds tend to think alike as well.

Was there any context to the sign or were you just carrying it around for the hell of it?

Lies

Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on September 11, 2010, 10:29:20 AM
Quote from: Lysergic on September 11, 2010, 09:31:56 AM
Great minds think alike.
Then again dumb minds tend to think alike as well.

Was there any context to the sign or were you just carrying it around for the hell of it?

Yes
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!