News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

Anarchy

Started by BadBeast, September 15, 2010, 06:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Xochipilli on September 20, 2010, 09:17:43 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 20, 2010, 09:12:10 PM
Quote from: Xochipilli on September 20, 2010, 09:08:50 PM
As far as a factory, we're dealing with physical vs. ideological goods again.  They aren't the same.  Not just because ideological goods are far easier to duplicate, also because they can be combined and altered in ways that are not possible with physical goods. 

So your argument is that an arms manufacturer should have more rights than an artist?  Okay.

Yes,  Manufacturing requires continual effort and input. It is not purely rent seeking.  I read that initially as any manufacturer, not an arms manufacturer, but as I am completely in favor of the right to bear(and manufacture) arms that doesn't have much bearing on what sort of rights the manufacturer should have.

I'm really more in favor of worker ownership of production, but that's a whole other can of worms (although admittedly perhaps more closely related to the original topic of Anarchy than Copyright is)

Holy shit.  :lol:

NO, ART DOES NOT TAKE ANY EFFORT.

:lol:

Well, fuck it.  Now Anarchism is the utilitarian state ala 1984.  You have everything you NEED, why do you WANT art?

Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 20, 2010, 09:25:00 PM
As far as a factory, we're dealing with physical vs. ideological goods again.  They aren't the same.  Not just because ideological goods are far easier to duplicate, also because they can be combined and altered in ways that are not possible with physical goods. 

So your argument is that an arms manufacturer should have more rights than an artist?  Okay.

Yes,  Manufacturing requires continual effort and input. It is not purely rent seeking.  I read that initially as any manufacturer, not an arms manufacturer, but as I am completely in favor of the right to bear(and manufacture) arms that doesn't have much bearing on what sort of rights the manufacturer should have.

I'm really more in favor of worker ownership of production, but that's a whole other can of worms (although admittedly perhaps more closely related to the original topic of Anarchy than Copyright is)

Well, fuck it.  Now Anarchism is the utilitarian state ala 1984.  You have everything you NEED, why do you WANT art?

Didn't you know that anyone can create art by downloading stuff from the internet and pushing random buttons.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cudgel on September 20, 2010, 09:26:30 PM

Didn't you know that anyone can create art by downloading stuff from the internet and pushing random buttons.

I'm going to set Kipling to Ethel Merman tunes.  I am the next Don McLean.
Molon Lube

BabylonHoruv

Art requires effort and input.  More than manufacturing I'd say.  Enough that people should get an absolute right to control distribution and reproduction of their creation for a lifetime.  That's actually considerably more rights than a manufacturer gets.  Once a product is sold it belongs to the person who bought it.  This is not true of intellectual property.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 20, 2010, 09:27:09 PM
Quote from: Cudgel on September 20, 2010, 09:26:30 PM

I'm going to set Kipling to Ethel Merman tunes.  I am the next Don McLean.

I believe Kipling is in the public domain, so this is allowed.  I know I have enjoyed hearing Poe's works set to music and I don't think the fact that the words were not written by the person who did the production changes the fact that the works were still creative works of art.

Interpretive art, including acting, dancing, musical performance, and production of audio or visual material (I mean the actual production, not the organizational work done by someone with the title "Producer") is still art, and it is still creative.

-Dok Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Xochipilli on September 20, 2010, 09:28:32 PM
Art requires effort and input.  More than manufacturing I'd say.  Enough that people should get an absolute right to control distribution and reproduction of their creation for a lifetime.  That's actually considerably more rights than a manufacturer gets.  Once a product is sold it belongs to the person who bought it.  This is not true of intellectual property.

Sure it is.  If I sell the rights to my music to Sony, they own those rights.

When you buy an album, those rights are not part of the purchasing agreement.  It says so right on the package.

But, hey, what the fuck are terms and conditions, when stacked up against our need for free music?
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Xochipilli on September 20, 2010, 09:31:12 PM
Interpretive art, including acting, dancing, musical performance, and production of audio or visual material (I mean the actual production, not the organizational work done by someone with the title "Producer") is still art, and it is still creative.

Interpretive dances?   :lulz:

No sweat.  License the right to use the music and go nuts, Moonflower.
Molon Lube

the last yatto

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 20, 2010, 07:25:55 PM
I agree that DNA, etc, shouldn't be patentable unless it's a modified form.

Sorry Emperor, Haliburton says you can't make anymore space marines
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Don Coyote

Quote from: Pēleus on September 20, 2010, 09:32:48 PM

:spit:

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 20, 2010, 09:31:24 PM

When you buy an album, those rights are not part of the purchasing agreement.  It says so right on the package.

But, hey, what the fuck are terms and conditions, when stacked up against our need for free music?

You didn't sell the music, you sold the rights.

And you have the right to do as you wish with the Album itself.  You can make it into a coaster, you can smash it, you can also sell it someone else.  Just why selling the physical album is not illegal redistribution of the music on the album I am not sure, but apparently it isn't.

-Dok Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Pēleus on September 20, 2010, 09:32:48 PM

Holy fucking upsets, Batman...Yatto just won PD.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 20, 2010, 09:32:12 PM

I meant dance which has been choreographed (created) by someone else.  Both the choreographer and the dancer are engaged in creative art.

-Dok Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Xochipilli on September 20, 2010, 09:36:12 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 20, 2010, 09:31:24 PM

You didn't sell the music, you sold the rights.

And you have the right to do as you wish with the Album itself.  You can make it into a coaster, you can smash it, you can also sell it someone else.  Just why selling the physical album is not illegal redistribution of the music on the album I am not sure, but apparently it isn't.

Because you aren't copying it.

I fail to see why this is so difficult to comprehend.  I mean, are you one of those guys that thinks we can pay off the national debt by printing more money?
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Xochipilli on September 20, 2010, 09:36:51 PM

I meant dance which has been choreographed (created) by someone else.  Both the choreographer and the dancer are engaged in creative art.

That's nice.  Now all they have to do is get permission to use the music.

Not seeing a problem, here.
Molon Lube

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 20, 2010, 09:38:09 PM
Quote from: Xochipilli on September 20, 2010, 09:36:51 PM

That's nice.  Now all they have to do is get permission to use the music.

Not seeing a problem, here.

And permission to use the choreography.  As intellectual property that is also subject to Copyright.  Establishing creation of a particular dance style is more difficult than establishing creation of a novel or song, certainly, but it can be done.  It could also, potentially, become very messy since dance is even more obviously a remix of previous dance than other creative endeavors.

-Dok Howl