News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

Laws of physics vary throughout Universe?

Started by Cain, September 18, 2010, 12:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

I like Kai's use of "Amplitude" because it implies a measurement, and not the thing being measured.  Since all we can really know about quantum events are the measurements we make, it's better to say that than make a declaration about what it is we're measuring.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cramulus on September 21, 2010, 03:15:32 PM
What this suggests is pretty cool, IMO.

in psych, the Fundamental Attribution Error is where you form an impression of somebody based on a very limited interaction with them. If you meet somebody, and he's being a jerk that day, you're going to think of that person as a jerk, even if he's nice on the other 6 days of the week. In short, we tend to overstate the importance of the knowledge we have.

I've always wondered if we make the same kind of mistakes in physics. We're only observing a very small sliver of the universe, and it's possible a lot of the conclusions we've drawn are based on relatively localized phenomena.

just goes to show... the more you know ... the more you know you don't know.  :p

My thought as well... Science is about describing what we observe. We observe a tiny fraction of the Universe, so it wouldn't be surprising to find wild inaccuracies in our current descriptions as we observe more data. Yay, more data! Of course, these guys are welsh, so....
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Doktor Howl

I'm telling you bozos, God is fucking with you.
Molon Lube

Armond

Understanding is useless, we are or we are not but, if we are not then there is no awareness so, we are until we are not......
There are no ordinary moments.

Kai

Quote from: Armond on September 22, 2010, 01:28:11 AM
Understanding is useless, we are or we are not but, if we are not then there is no awareness so, we are until we are not......

Splurgion! My cabbages are frosted!
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Kai on September 22, 2010, 01:30:36 AM

:lulz:
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

LMNO

Quote from: Kai on September 22, 2010, 01:30:36 AM

:potd:

Triple Zero

Oh nee! Mijn radijsjes zijn verdord!

(really what Kai said comes very close to Fred's profile title thingy)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.