News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

REEFER MADNESS!!!!!!

Started by Prince Glittersnatch III, September 18, 2010, 03:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Ratatosk on September 20, 2010, 05:15:34 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on September 20, 2010, 04:09:22 PM
My personal thing against pot and other drugs probably can be best understood through the lens of the Shrapnel and Paths discussions.  I think especially for young people, drugs can end up being a limiting agent and as kids get more and more wrapped up into the behavior, paths become obscured and are no longer in sight.  It doesn't become the one-true path perhaps, but it's one of the few that matters to the young person.  Ultimately, this path becomes self-destructive depending on how far along the kid goes.  And the horizon has become so limited in options that it is all that can be done to make treatment appear to be a new path, and one that offers promise and personal rewards. 

So I guess in the end it's still a morality issue, but I like to think that it isn't a religious self-serving morality.  I just want kids to not become limited in their childhood and to still have all the options and paths opened to them.   

First, you and I are in agreement about kids smoking pot = bad idea.

However, I wonder if the 'obscuring of paths' that you mention is because of pot, or because of"pot as act of rebelliousness" or "pot as escapism" or even because there's no way to introduce young adults to pot in a responsible manner. Speaking as a person who uses pot, it can sometimes feel limiting simply because its an illegal act and you never know if a new person might be offended/upset etc. if they see a pipe somewhere in your house. Since I'm an adult, I can take responsibility for that and just make sure my stuff is put away etc. but if I were younger, less responsible, more paranoid, well, maybe it would feel limiting/obscuring/constraining.

My parents gave me my first drink when I was maybe 5 or 6. I had really bad chest cold or bronchitis or something and they mixed a shot of whiskey, honey and lemon, heated it and made me drink it. As I got older, Dad would let me have a taste of beer or a taste of wine or whatever they were having. Drinking alcohol was never demonized... it was just not allowed at my age. When I was in my late teens, I was allowed a beer occasionally. I wonder if pot would be such a consuming aspect to kids perceptions if it wasn't alienating by virtue of society. Shante's first experience with marijuana was as an adult, after she got stood up for a New Years party. Her Dad shared a joint with her for the evening and they had a great time bonding. Granted, he's a crazy hippie... but she remembers that as a positive experience.

After I grew up and finally tried pot (recreational) I stumbled upon the fact that its a godsend for recurring migraines that I've gotten ever since I was a kid. My parents had given me every drug the Doctors would perscribe, some of which left me feeling like my head was a hot air balloon... most of which didn't help or had nasty side effects. Would my expereince with Pot have been different if it had been like that first shot of whiskey?

I dunno.

Pot was socially accepted for me as a teen.  My father would not tolerate me using it in his house, because of possible legal repercusssions to him, but he did not mind if I used it occasionally at parties.  Alcohol meanwhile he would absolutely not tolerate the usage of under 21.

I've never abused either of those drugs (at least I don't think I have, I don't have any negative consequences in my life that I can attribute to either) on the other hand I have abused the hell out of DXM cough syrup (not the recent time, that was a once in several years occurance that I think was a positive thing) and I have also abused LSD (not as severely, but it certainly led to some negative consequences that could have been foreseen and avoided)

My main problems with pot being illegal are the funneling of money to organized crime and the gateway drug effect.  Because if you know someone who sells pot chances are you know someone who sells something else it often serves as the gateway to harder drugs.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Nephew Twiddleton

Please tell me that's a parody site.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Triple Zero

According to this NIDA report, one bowl of cannabis on average has a nutritional value equivalent to nearly 3 brussel sprouts:

http://www.nida.nih.gov/ResearchReports/Marijuana/Vitamins-minerals-health-benefits2009.html

I mean, it's not much, and people should of course always take care to have a varied diet. But at least it shows that cannabis isn't all bad.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 09, 2010, 12:40:31 AM
According to this NIDA report, one bowl of cannabis on average has a nutritional value equivalent to nearly 3 brussel sprouts:

http://www.nida.nih.gov/ResearchReports/Marijuana/Vitamins-minerals-health-benefits2009.html

I mean, it's not much, and people should of course always take care to have a varied diet. But at least it shows that cannabis isn't all bad.

Naturally a Dutchman would look to find the nutritional value of weed in comparison to Belgian food.

Triple Zero

It's from American research, just sayin'.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 09, 2010, 12:47:28 AM
It's from American research, just sayin'.

Damn.
The NIH website should have tipped me off on that.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Mmmm, with a cheese sauce!!!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cramulus

link totally got me

there needs to be an emote combining  :lulz: with this guy's fist  :argh!:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on October 12, 2010, 08:31:43 PM

link totally got me

Or just the fist on its own, so we can attach it to anything. Like the fap mote.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on October 12, 2010, 11:30:42 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on October 12, 2010, 08:31:43 PM

link totally got me

Or just the fist on its own, so we can attach it to anything. Like the fap mote.

or the goatse rabbit.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Telarus

http://stopthedrugwar.org/speakeasy/2010/oct/30/marijuana_legalization_contingen

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=608643&affid=fb

Galifianakis lights up a joint on late-night TV
Oct. 30, 2010, 12:18 PM EST

WENN

Funnyman Zach Galifianakis stunned TV viewers on Friday night when he lit up a joint and started smoking it during a political chat show.

"The Hangover" star was making a point about the upcoming vote for marijuana legalization on "Real Time With Bill Maher" when he took the roll-up and a lighter out of his blazer pocket.

He said, "It's a tricky thing politically to jump on that bandwagon (and vote for the legalization of pot) because I think that maybe people still see it as taboo."

Galifianakis then started puffing away and offered the joint to fellow guest Margaret Hoover, a conservative news reporter, who smelled the cigarette and verified it was the real thing.

The actor continued smoking as the political debate on the show continued, and then raised a laugh by screaming, "Oh my God, look at those dragons!," poking fun at the stereotype of stoners.

-------------
LOOK AT THE DRAGONS!!!!!!  :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

East Coast Hustle

too bad Galifianakis is a major douchebag.

And so is Bill Maher.

Otherwise, good show.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Placid Dingo

Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.