News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

World War I officially over

Started by Iason Ouabache, September 29, 2010, 06:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/8029948/First-World-War-officially-ends.html

QuoteThe final payment of £59.5 million, writes off the crippling debt that was the price for one world war and laid the foundations for another.

Germany was forced to pay the reparations at the Treaty of Versailles in 1919 as compensation to the war-ravaged nations of Belgium and France and to pay the Allies some of the costs of waging what was then the bloodiest conflict in history, leaving nearly ten million soldiers dead.

The initial sum agreed upon for war damages in 1919 was 226 billion Reichsmarks, a sum later reduced to 132 billion, £22 billion at the time.

The bill would have been settled much earlier had Adolf Hitler not reneged on reparations during his reign.

Hatred of the settlement agreed at Versailles, which crippled Germany as it tried to shape itself into a democracy following armistice, was of significant importance in propelling the Nazis to power.

"On Sunday the last bill is due and the First World War finally, financially at least, terminates for Germany," said Bild, the country's biggest selling newspaper.

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Jasper

Financially at least.

Meaning exactly what?

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Sigmatic on September 29, 2010, 06:23:35 AM
Financially at least.

Meaning exactly what?

Meaning, not counting Operation: Ultimate Solution. Shh.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Iason Ouabache

Financially at least.

Meaning exactly what?
Germany can finally start rebuilding its war chest to prepare for World War III.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Jasper

Oh I forgot how that whole thing where Germans cry if WW2 comes up in conversation is just a ruse.

No seriously, I've seen it.  He wasn't even that drunk.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on September 29, 2010, 06:30:24 AM
Financially at least.

Meaning exactly what?
Germany can finally start rebuilding its war chest to prepare for World War III.

You mean WWV.

WWIII and WWIV are currently going on right now, WWIII by technicality.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cain

Yeah, the Neocons were vomiting around the "WWIV means the War on Terror" meme for a while as part of their Churchillian wankfest/fantasy version of world affairs, and the Cold War was for all intensive purposes WWIII (just fought more intelligently).

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cain on September 30, 2010, 02:36:37 PM
Yeah, the Neocons were vomiting around the "WWIV means the War on Terror" meme for a while as part of their Churchillian wankfest/fantasy version of world affairs, and the Cold War was for all intensive purposes WWIII (just fought more intelligently).

:lulz:

I'll have to delve into it more.

Cain

From the Massive Multiplayer Online Encyclopedia RPG otherwise known as Wikipedia

Former government officials, politicians and authors have attempted to apply the labels of WW III, WW IV, and WW V to various military engagements and diplomatic stand-offs since the close of WW II, such as the Vietnam War or the War on Terror. Among these are former American and French government officials James Woolsey[11] and Alexandre de Marenches,[12] author Elliot Cohen[13] and zapatist leader Subcomandante Marcos.[14]

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cain on September 30, 2010, 03:08:04 PM
From the Massive Multiplayer Online Encyclopedia RPG otherwise known as Wikipedia

Former government officials, politicians and authors have attempted to apply the labels of WW III, WW IV, and WW V to various military engagements and diplomatic stand-offs since the close of WW II, such as the Vietnam War or the War on Terror. Among these are former American and French government officials James Woolsey[11] and Alexandre de Marenches,[12] author Elliot Cohen[13] and zapatist leader Subcomandante Marcos.[14]

Thanks Cain!