News:

OK fuckers, let me out of here. I farted for you, what more do you want from me? Jesus fuck.

Main Menu

A Problem

Started by Jasper, October 07, 2010, 01:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Quote from: WikipediaCool (aesthetic)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Uncool" redirects here.

Quote from: Devo:  Through Being CoolGoing to bang some heads.  Going to beat some butts.

Quote from: Less Wrong...meta-contrarians are at risk of becoming too meta-contrary.

We became smart because of a social cognition arms race.  Part of the competition is who/what can be the coolest.

HIPSTERS are the result of this.

I think you should all feel very ashamed.

That is all.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Sigmatic on October 07, 2010, 01:53:03 AM
Quote from: WikipediaCool (aesthetic)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Uncool" redirects here.

Quote from: Devo:  Through Being CoolGoing to bang some heads.  Going to beat some butts.

Quote from: Less Wrong...meta-contrarians are at risk of becoming too meta-contrary.

We became smart because of a social cognition arms race.  Part of the competition is who/what can be the coolest.

HIPSTERS are the result of this.

I think you should all feel very ashamed.

That is all.

So Hipsters are the end result of the genetic arms race?

THAT MEANS THEY ARE WMDs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nephew Twiddleton

You just have to wait them out. They'll run out of stuff to latch onto at some point.

Personally I think we should be thinking of ways that hipsters can be utilized.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 07, 2010, 02:08:07 AM

Personally I think we should be thinking of ways that hipsters can be utilized.

Quote from: Sir Coyote on October 07, 2010, 01:59:59 AM
THEY ARE WMDs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adios

That's a lot of power to give a passing fad.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Let's look at this.  I'm not a hipster nor a fan, but.....

They are cleaner than the grunge fad.

Their clothes fit better than the gangbanger pants at the knees fad.

They are less conservative than the preppy button down collar and khaki gap pants fad.

Do we even want to go to the 80's?  I mean seriously....

They're here for this fashion era and will move on to something equally annoying but called by another name in a year or so. 

In a word....

Yuppies!

Cramulus

yeah I really don't get the hangups here about
(a) why this is a real group of people
(b) why this particular group if people is in any way special enough to care about

I mean whenever you have a pile of something, by very nature of the structure of the pile, somebody's gonna be on top. Real visible. Apparently leading the zeitgeist.

Are these mythical "hipsters" substantially any different than whatever was going on in Brooklyn (and other metropolitan cultural centers) before them? I don't think so.

there's always gonna be cool kids somewhere drinking a particular brand of beer, wearing a particular style of glasses, smoking a particular brand of cigarettes, showcasing an attitude which is a reaction to (and iteration of) previous cultural attitudes.

AHGHGH I HATE THOSE GUYS  :argh!:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on October 07, 2010, 02:44:56 PM
(b) why this particular group if people is in any way special enough to care about

I mean whenever you have a pile of something, by very nature of the structure of the pile, somebody's gonna be on top. Real visible. Apparently leading the zeitgeist.

Are these mythical "hipsters" substantially any different than whatever was going on in Brooklyn (and other metropolitan cultural centers) before them? I don't think so.

there's always gonna be cool kids somewhere drinking a particular brand of beer, wearing a particular style of glasses, smoking a particular brand of cigarettes, showcasing an attitude which is a reaction to (and iteration of) previous cultural attitudes.

Well, that settles it.  I'm off to buy a ukelele.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

I think that the problem is that they're the uncool kids who are unaware that they are the uncool kids and try to be uncool to be ironic and cool but it just makes them more uncool.

ok that just made my head burst. But I've found a use for them.

I shall start my reality safari with them.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 07, 2010, 02:47:47 PM

If you will sing "Tiny Bubbles" I will send you a slave!!  Or a kid whichever is cheapest to ship....  :lulz:

Adios

Quote from: Kiaransalee on October 07, 2010, 03:03:50 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 07, 2010, 02:47:47 PM

If you will sing "Tiny Bubbles" I will send you a slave!!  Or a kid whichever is cheapest to ship....  :lulz:

I request Tiptoe Through The Tulips!  :lulz:

Doktor Howl

Neither of those would be ironic enough.

I'm going to do Hank Williams Sr on it.

Dok,
Yeah, went there.
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 07, 2010, 03:08:45 PM

Dok,
Yeah, went there.

:lulz:

FTW

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Henny Youngman on October 07, 2010, 03:09:34 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 07, 2010, 03:08:45 PM

Dok,
Yeah, went there.

:lulz:

FTW

I will be very disappointed if I'm not torn to bloody gobbets by 70 year olds.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Flight of the Bumblebee.