News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

Race and ethnicity maps of cities

Started by Disco Pickle, October 15, 2010, 02:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 15, 2010, 05:36:22 PM
perhaps the talk about division is because it's real, as the maps seem to indicate.

but we choose to divide ourselves. 

The fact that most people never live more than 10 miles from where they were born could be playing a large factor in keeping the racial divisions in neighborhoods.  Where you were born becomes your home and a place that you identify as such.

I'd be interested to know where this data correlates to income and property values.

Fact: Everyone in Tucson is from somewhere else, and no one outside of Tucson is from here.

I'm about half a country away from my home.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Florida is where all the weird people from other places come to retire and die.
Fact.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on October 15, 2010, 06:19:56 PM
Florida is where all the weird people from other places come to retire and die.
Fact.

Same with Tucson, but you can't leave.
Molon Lube

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 15, 2010, 06:07:50 PM
Quote from: First City Hustle on October 15, 2010, 06:01:15 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 15, 2010, 05:48:11 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 15, 2010, 05:47:23 PM

They've had a great model of acceptance to.  Like when the mayor (now former mayor) publicly announced to the Somali community that they were ruining the city and needed to stop moving in.  Nevermind that the facts clearly show it is the poor white population of the area that is the biggest burden upon social services and welfare services, not the Somalis. 

:lulz:

For real?  He actually said that?

He really did. And the reality is that Lewiston is such a shithole that even being invaded by Mongols would only improve the place.

That said, if it's anything like Portland, ME (which also has a large Somali refugee population), there are some definite issues with their ability to accept the cultural norms of their new home. I'm all for immigration regardless of race or ethnicity, and the Somalis have definitely brought some cultural vibrancy to a once-drab place, but most Mainers don't like to see someone beating their wife in public for letting her head scarf slip. I have seen this myself, not saying it happens often but it does happen and things like that tend to make an impression which leads to a perception of commonness that may not jibe with reality.

We have a huge Somali refugee population here, too.  They don't seem to have the same issues with domestic violence and/or religion that you describe, though.  While many women wear traditional dress, just as many don't, and they have no higher rate of domestic violence than anyone else.

We have refugees from EVERYWHERE here, and the various groups of Africans have settled in very nicely, and seem to be the only ones that don't pine for the old sod.

Like I said, I think that's the sort of thing where isolated incidents make an impression that might outweigh the actual infrequency of such things. And I'm glad they're there, because I fucking LOVE their food, and the fact that there are now stores in maine that carry those ingredients. But there's no denying that, at least in maine, they have had trouble culturally assimilating. I have no idea whether it's through unwillingness or if they haven't been offered whatever social programs would make the transition easier and more comfortable for them. Just an observation on my part, and one that's completely value-neutral.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: First City Hustle on October 15, 2010, 06:27:03 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 15, 2010, 06:07:50 PM
Quote from: First City Hustle on October 15, 2010, 06:01:15 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 15, 2010, 05:48:11 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 15, 2010, 05:47:23 PM

They've had a great model of acceptance to.  Like when the mayor (now former mayor) publicly announced to the Somali community that they were ruining the city and needed to stop moving in.  Nevermind that the facts clearly show it is the poor white population of the area that is the biggest burden upon social services and welfare services, not the Somalis. 

For real?  He actually said that?

He really did. And the reality is that Lewiston is such a shithole that even being invaded by Mongols would only improve the place.

That said, if it's anything like Portland, ME (which also has a large Somali refugee population), there are some definite issues with their ability to accept the cultural norms of their new home. I'm all for immigration regardless of race or ethnicity, and the Somalis have definitely brought some cultural vibrancy to a once-drab place, but most Mainers don't like to see someone beating their wife in public for letting her head scarf slip. I have seen this myself, not saying it happens often but it does happen and things like that tend to make an impression which leads to a perception of commonness that may not jibe with reality.

We have a huge Somali refugee population here, too.  They don't seem to have the same issues with domestic violence and/or religion that you describe, though.  While many women wear traditional dress, just as many don't, and they have no higher rate of domestic violence than anyone else.

We have refugees from EVERYWHERE here, and the various groups of Africans have settled in very nicely, and seem to be the only ones that don't pine for the old sod.

Like I said, I think that's the sort of thing where isolated incidents make an impression that might outweigh the actual infrequency of such things. And I'm glad they're there, because I fucking LOVE their food, and the fact that there are now stores in maine that carry those ingredients. But there's no denying that, at least in maine, they have had trouble culturally assimilating. I have no idea whether it's through unwillingness or if they haven't been offered whatever social programs would make the transition easier and more comfortable for them. Just an observation on my part, and one that's completely value-neutral.

Maybe it's because you live in an icebox, and they're from near the equator?  I think that's why they get on so well, here.  It's every bit as hot and dry.

Also, we don't have ethnic-specific neighborhoods here, for the most part.
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 15, 2010, 06:18:16 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 15, 2010, 06:16:59 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 15, 2010, 06:08:52 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 15, 2010, 06:02:29 PM
you're making big leaps about my character.

I get the feeling you're wanting to call me a racist but haven't come out and said it.

If I wanted to call you a racist, I would have called you a racist.  Ask around...I'm not the bashful type.

I'm just a little curious about the income/property values comment, is all.

I'm curious because some of the fastest rising values (before the bust) was my cities "inner city" downtown area.  It's still expensive to buy there relative to some other places.  Not that I think "THEY" are always poor, but it'd be nice to have some data that shows otherwise so I can toss it out when I hear some dumbass say something along those lines.

and since when is intellectual curiosity about a real trend (people of similar ethnic background living closely together) basis for implying someone is a racist?

I may be digging there, since I accept that if you thought I was, you would have said it already, and were probably fishing for a comment from me that would tell you definitively one way or the other.  

It's genuine curiosity and a wish to dispel certain preconceived notions in any assholes I might run into spouting nonsense.

and you have a strange way of showing curiosity.  why no just ask questions?

Because attaching a shackle to your leg and pulling it with a Chevy Big 10 is more fun?

Dok,
Is reasonably certain he warned you that he's a horrible cunt.

fair enough.

one of these days I'll remember just what a cunt you are.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 15, 2010, 06:30:13 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 15, 2010, 06:18:16 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 15, 2010, 06:16:59 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 15, 2010, 06:08:52 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 15, 2010, 06:02:29 PM
you're making big leaps about my character.

I get the feeling you're wanting to call me a racist but haven't come out and said it.

If I wanted to call you a racist, I would have called you a racist.  Ask around...I'm not the bashful type.

I'm just a little curious about the income/property values comment, is all.

I'm curious because some of the fastest rising values (before the bust) was my cities "inner city" downtown area.  It's still expensive to buy there relative to some other places.  Not that I think "THEY" are always poor, but it'd be nice to have some data that shows otherwise so I can toss it out when I hear some dumbass say something along those lines.

and since when is intellectual curiosity about a real trend (people of similar ethnic background living closely together) basis for implying someone is a racist?

I may be digging there, since I accept that if you thought I was, you would have said it already, and were probably fishing for a comment from me that would tell you definitively one way or the other.  

It's genuine curiosity and a wish to dispel certain preconceived notions in any assholes I might run into spouting nonsense.

and you have a strange way of showing curiosity.  why no just ask questions?

Because attaching a shackle to your leg and pulling it with a Chevy Big 10 is more fun?

Dok,
Is reasonably certain he warned you that he's a horrible cunt.

fair enough.

one of these days I'll remember just what a cunt you are.

You can't observe all of my cuntiness at once.  Your feeble mind cannot possibly take in all the various unnatural angles and alien geometry of my horrible bastardism.  People have tried, and invariably an heroed or wind up in an asylum. 

Also, the very act of observing me being a horrible cunt changes my behavior.

In short, you can observe me being a cunt, but not the direction of where my cuntiness is heading.

Dok Howl,
Quantum Bastard.
Molon Lube

Remington

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 15, 2010, 07:02:40 PM
You can't observe all of my cuntiness at once.  Your feeble mind cannot possibly take in all the various unnatural angles and alien geometry of my horrible bastardism.  People have tried, and invariably an heroed or wind up in an asylum. 

Also, the very act of observing me being a horrible cunt changes my behavior.

In short, you can observe me being a cunt, but not the direction of where my cuntiness is heading.

Dok Howl,
Quantum Bastard.
:fuckmittens: :potd: :fuckmittens:
:dok:
Is it plugged in?

Adios

Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on October 15, 2010, 06:18:25 PM
perhaps the talk about division is because it's real, as the maps seem to indicate.

The fact that most people never live more than 10 miles from where they were born could be playing a large factor in keeping the racial divisions in neighborhoods.  Where you were born becomes your home and a place that you identify as such.

I'd be interested to know where this data correlates to income and property values.

Fact: Everyone in Tucson is from somewhere else, and no one outside of Tucson is from here.

Same here. It was a bullshit statement.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on October 15, 2010, 05:59:51 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 15, 2010, 04:45:27 PM
since it's census data, it does depend on just how many people actually turned in the forms.

The census requires people to send their forms back. There are several phases after the initial one (where people just mail them back) to make sure they have as many as possible. I'm pretty sure they get about 95% - 98% back, after everything is said and done.

They may get them back, but whether the information is accurate is another matter. With so many undocumented immigrants, it's my guess that most don't get reported on the census, and a great many Hispanics are white, so in the end does it really mean much? And then there are mixed households. The way the government quantifies race via census forms is so absurd as to be virtually meaningless. And there are so many factors to culture and ethnicity; "white" isn't a culture OR an ethnicity, and doesn't tell you shit about the cultural diversity of an area. I look at the map of Portland and I'm not seeing the Russian neighborhood, or the Romanian neighborhood, both full of recent immigrants.

As for property values, it is a pretty safe assumption that the values are lower in neighborhoods where there are a lot of old people. Those are also the neighborhoods which will be "gentrified" next, when the old people die and young couples looking for starter homes buy their houses.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on October 15, 2010, 07:29:45 PM
They may get them back, but whether the information is accurate is another matter.

I know I lie like a bastard on those things every decade.
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 15, 2010, 07:30:37 PM
They may get them back, but whether the information is accurate is another matter.

Hell yes, I am now listed as a full blooded Cherokee and Terri is listed as full blooded Blackfeet.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 15, 2010, 07:32:27 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 15, 2010, 07:30:37 PM

Hell yes, I am now listed as a full blooded Cherokee and Terri is listed as full blooded Blackfeet.

I'm Black and I'm proud.

Ten years ago, I was Hispanic.

Next, I'm thinking Inuit.
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 15, 2010, 07:28:09 PM

the fact that it's LESS true today than it was 100 years ago doesn't make it a bullshit statement.

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 15, 2010, 07:34:28 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on October 15, 2010, 07:28:09 PM

the fact that it's LESS true today than it was 100 years ago doesn't make it a bullshit statement.

So pony up a link.
Molon Lube