News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

Wind farms wtf

Started by Cain, October 28, 2010, 02:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Uh...

http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy10osti/49229.pdf

QuoteThe gross resource has been quantified by state, water depth, distance from shore, and wind class throughout a band extending out to 50 nautical miles from the U.S. coastline.

This total gross wind resource is estimated at more than 4,000 GW, or roughly four times the generating capacity currently carried on the U.S. electric grid.

Now, obviously, not all of this is going to be harvested efficiently, it may be the case that only 60% of this energy is available.

Which is why Google is trying to get in on the ground level of this project

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/12/science/earth/12wind.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

QuoteGoogle and a New York financial firm have each agreed to invest heavily in a proposed $5 billion transmission backbone for future offshore wind farms along the Atlantic Seaboard that could ultimately transform the region's electrical map. The 350-mile underwater spine, which could remove some critical obstacles to wind power development, has stirred excitement among investors, government officials and environmentalists who have been briefed on it.

All in all, awesome news.

LMNO

Until you google "Cape Wind Project" and read how some rich NIMBY fucks have delayed getting this started for a decade.

Cain

Cant we pay Obama to hire the New Black Panthers to go round and rough them up a bit?

Faust

Holy shit, has it finally become viable and cost effective?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on October 28, 2010, 03:27:45 PM
Cant we pay Obama to hire the New Black Panthers to go round and rough them up a bit?

I'm not sure you understand how happy I would be if that really was the kind of president I helped elect.

Richter

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on October 28, 2010, 03:23:12 PM
Until you google "Cape Wind Project" and read how some rich NIMBY fucks have delayed getting this started for a decade.

CoughCAPECODELITISSTFUCKERScough.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Nephew Twiddleton

Ah Cape Cod, the part of Massachusetts that is virtually dead after October....
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

LMNO

Which reminds me, I'm off to Spooky Bear weekend tomorrow!

Kai

Quote from: Cain on October 28, 2010, 02:50:56 PM
Uh...

http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy10osti/49229.pdf

QuoteThe gross resource has been quantified by state, water depth, distance from shore, and wind class throughout a band extending out to 50 nautical miles from the U.S. coastline.

This total gross wind resource is estimated at more than 4,000 GW, or roughly four times the generating capacity currently carried on the U.S. electric grid.

Now, obviously, not all of this is going to be harvested efficiently, it may be the case that only 60% of this energy is available.

Which is why Google is trying to get in on the ground level of this project

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/12/science/earth/12wind.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

QuoteGoogle and a New York financial firm have each agreed to invest heavily in a proposed $5 billion transmission backbone for future offshore wind farms along the Atlantic Seaboard that could ultimately transform the region's electrical map. The 350-mile underwater spine, which could remove some critical obstacles to wind power development, has stirred excitement among investors, government officials and environmentalists who have been briefed on it.

All in all, awesome news.

Dude...

If this works out, we not only won't need any new coal, hydroelectric or nuclear plants, we'll be able to REMOVE some.  :fap:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Requia ☣

on the NIMBY thing, I've been to the wind farms in Wyoming, and they are very noisy, even when the nearest windmill is a mile away (Or maybe I'm misunderstanding how close to residential areas they want to install the things).
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Faust

Quote from: Requia ☣ on October 28, 2010, 09:18:22 PM(Or maybe I'm misunderstanding how close to residential areas they want to install the things).
You are, and its good news: They are at sea.

I can see that being horribly unreliable in the long run but will be a huge boost when the weather suits.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Nephew Twiddleton

NIMBY aside, lets hope that this is one of those beginnings of "Let's pull ourselves out of this pile of shit at the last possible moment sort of things.

Blight,
-Fingers are slightly crossed.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Bruno

Prediction: The government will declare this "money in the bank" and immediately take out loans against it.
Formerly something else...

Reginald Ret

Windmills kill migrating birds.
Just assume that whenever something sounds good it will be worse than you can imagine.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Regret on October 31, 2010, 11:51:05 PM
Windmills kill migrating birds.
Just assume that whenever something sounds good it will be worse than you can imagine.

I know this is a problem for land based wind farms.  Do offshore farms have the same effect, with migrating birds sticking closer to shore?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.