News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "At least Satanists HAVE a worldview. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that discordians not only don't, but will actively mock anyone who does."

Main Menu

Bitcoin digital P2P currency

Started by Disco Pickle, November 16, 2010, 01:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco Pickle

http://www.bitcoin.org/faq

wasn't sure if this should go in the tech forum or this one, but I stuck it here for the possible political and legal implications that digital currencies could have with regard to money laundering.

I haven't done as much reading as I should on alternative digital currencies compared to what I read about central bank currencies.  I'm open to the concept of small communities of people exchanging something they put a value on for their goods and services, but to make it worthwhile you'd have to have a large and diverse enough community actually using it.

I expect to see more of this sort of thing attempted until governments crack down on it.

thought it was interesting and worth sharing and running past you spags.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

BabylonHoruv

I posted this in the tech forum a few months ago when it was still possible to generate bitcoins.

I have been happily watching the value skyrocket.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Requia ☣

Really?  How high is the value, I have a bunch of them from when I was generating.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on November 17, 2010, 12:02:21 AM
I posted this in the tech forum a few months ago when it was still possible to generate bitcoins.

I have been happily watching the value skyrocket.

sometimes I forget I should search function before I post.  Thanks for the info, I'll dig it up.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Requia ☣ on November 17, 2010, 01:50:25 AM
Really?  How high is the value, I have a bunch of them from when I was generating.

About 25 cents a piece.

-Dok Howl

Requia ☣

Sweet.  Here' to being 30 bucks richer.

Hmm, Maybe there are enough people buying shit now that I can try to hawk shit over the net for bitcoins again.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Requia ☣ on November 17, 2010, 04:28:19 AM
Sweet.  Here' to being 30 bucks richer.

Hmm, Maybe there are enough people buying shit now that I can try to hawk shit over the net for bitcoins again.

biddingpond.com seems to be the main place for that sort of thing, plus people arrange trades on the bitcoin forums sometimes.

-Dok Howl