News:

PD.com: Taoism in a clown costume.

Main Menu

...I really need to move.

Started by Suu, November 17, 2010, 01:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leln

Honestly, thanks PD.com! This thread reassures me that sometimes renting space from relatives doesn't seem quite so lame...

If I was in a place I could "afford," I would live in a shithole because college students with far too much disposable income and post-industrial provincial elites suck up all the decent housing in my area. And living farther away would mean I'd have to commute to work, which would add up very quickly. Maybe I could live in the attic of an elderly, affluent couple nearer my job, but for that option to even exist intense local connections are a necessity. Decent housing can be hard to find, especially if you're in a place that isn't good for walking or public transit. My parents have told me flat out that they'd give me rent money before they'd let me live in certain local neighborhoods, and believe me, I'm grateful. Living with family may drive me nuts, but it's better than getting shot.
[initially a "Rabid Wombat of the Eastern Intertubes." Now the] Glorious Peoples' Revolutionary Wombat of Wrath and Righteous Retribution.

"If you speak out of turn again, I will unscrew your neckpipe and use the resulting hole for my lavatory.  And I have one fuck of a case of the squirts today."

East Coast Hustle

I think that while cases of random violence tend to be sensationalized and hyped up in the media, the truth is that the vast majority of murders are either domestic violence-related or drug and/or gang-related. In other words, even in a total shithole if you're not involved in shady shit you probably don't have much to worry about.

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Eater of Clowns

Living in a crime infested shithole is awesome because I have a really lovely 1 bedroom apartment that I pay almost nothing for.  And really, it's only bad neighborhood adjacent.  Of course, the bad neighborhood it's adjacent to is the one I grew up in, which has either declined drastically in 15 years or I was one oblivious little kid.  :)
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Suu

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 18, 2010, 02:02:29 AM
Living in a crime infested shithole is awesome because I have a really lovely 1 bedroom apartment that I pay almost nothing for.  And really, it's only bad neighborhood adjacent.  Of course, the bad neighborhood it's adjacent to is the one I grew up in, which has either declined drastically in 15 years or I was one oblivious little kid.  :)

Yeah, paying $525 a month with EVERYTHING included is convenient...but I planned this to only be a temporary thing. Unfortunately it became more permanent and I've been here since March. Since then, I've spent $100's more in public transportation than I used to,  I live next to 3 class 3 kiddie diddlers in the halfway house next door, I come home from work or class off the bus and stepping into middle school fights at the public library across the street, get approached as a prostitute as least every other night so I've been carrying the KABAR that Richter gave me, um...I got bedbugs, and now there's finally been an armed circumstance waaaay too close for comfort, I mean really guys, I'm talking 10 yards from my damn front door. I would take the screaming sirens of Federal Hill at 3am again waaaaay over this. I'd rather go live in the Bucket again with the Z's, but they have an exchange student this year. They may have been batshit crazy and drove me off the wall, but at least I was safe.

Sure, I've got my 2nd degree black belt, and there's a jujitsu master that lives on the first floor, but last I checked, hands and feet don't stand up too well against a 9mm. I did have a CCW permit, which I could easily renew, but at the same time, I don't exactly have the funds to invest in a new firearm either, as my weapon is in Florida.

My parents have reiterated that the next time they help me pay for a move, it will be to Florida, so, as the good parents they are, they're letting me fend for myself. Even my dad, who isn't happy with the news said straight up, "Well, you made the conscious decision to live there. Now you need to make another decision to leave."

Ugh, I should have moved last month.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

That's shitty Suu.

I hope you can get out of there soon.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Net on November 18, 2010, 03:25:12 AM
That's shitty Suu.

Agreed.

By crime infested shithole I meant my city, not my neighborhood, which is actually quite nice.  When I was looking for apartments, my stepmother's friend showed me a place he owned on the other end of town.  Turns out he's a slumlord.  Not a fan of that dude.

I have family in Providence, if I happen to hear of any places near them opening up would you like me to keep you in mind?  (They are renters themselves, not slumlords like the guy mentioned above.)
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: geekdad on November 18, 2010, 12:49:36 AM
http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2009/09/08/story_shooter_update.html

See all the police cars? I could spit on them they were close enough. I had SWAT and police with M-16s telling me to get back in my house for fear of random bullets...

I need to move too.

OK, first of all...what the fuck is a "souped up" AK-47? :lol:

Second of all, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, my ass.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Suu

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 18, 2010, 03:36:41 AM
Quote from: Net on November 18, 2010, 03:25:12 AM
That's shitty Suu.

Agreed.

By crime infested shithole I meant my city, not my neighborhood, which is actually quite nice.  When I was looking for apartments, my stepmother's friend showed me a place he owned on the other end of town.  Turns out he's a slumlord.  Not a fan of that dude.

I have family in Providence, if I happen to hear of any places near them opening up would you like me to keep you in mind?  (They are renters themselves, not slumlords like the guy mentioned above.)

Depends on where in Providence. I'm picky. Lol. Federal Hill or Eastside only...this is mostly for transportation purposes, since it's hard for me to take a bus home after a late class if they don't run, and I can walk to the hills. If my tax refund is enough this year I maybe...just maybe...become a car owner for the first time in 8 years.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on November 17, 2010, 06:52:34 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on November 17, 2010, 04:58:37 PM
I tried looking it up, also on urbandictionary, but I can't find it, what's a "ghetto shrine" ?

Remember CHEF D?  "Bring a teddy bear for your ghetto shrine when you meet me at 15th and Minnah", et al.

Yeah but I didn't get it then either :)

QuoteBasically, when some kid gets shot on the street, their friends and family gather around that place on the sidewalk and place candles, flowers, dolls, and other knick knacks to commomorate their death.  It lasts for a few days, and is eventually abandoned.

Ah okay, that makes sense. We have those too btw, usually for victims of "senseless violence" (meaning when someone gets kicked to death for pretty much no reason--fortunately in the 12 years living in this city that only happened once, as far as I know of. And it was a stabbing, IIRC).

My own guess would have been maybe it would be the chalk outline of a body (do they actually do that btw? or only in the movies?) or a bloodstain on the pavement or something.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jenne

If I look at the website that shows how many convicted sex offenders live around here, I'd probably get paranoid.  If I looked at the stats of how many girls under 18 have died around here after being attacked, kidnapped and raped since I moved to this area, I'd definitely be paranoid.  But then, I'm in suburbian hell, and this is where danger breeds in silence under cover of darkness, not with garish flashing lights and the rending of the night air with sirens going in all directions.  If there's a chopper overhead, it's less likely it's a "ghettobird" and more likely it's a military exercise/news chopper covering the rush-hour traffic.

I think it's just always best to be AWARE of where you are, at all times.  And if you feel at all unsafe, it's good to move.  Just for piece of mind.  Life's too short for otherwise.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I look at the crime map pretty regularly, just to keep tabs.

At this moment, I would like to mention that because of the way they do their color-coding, it makes it look as if there have been over 500 crimes at my house alone in the last four years.  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

oh, that PDX crime map is quite lulzy. Especially along 82nd.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Quote from: geekdad on November 18, 2010, 12:49:36 AM
http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2009/09/08/story_shooter_update.html

See all the police cars? I could spit on them they were close enough. I had SWAT and police with M-16s telling me to get back in my house for fear of random bullets...

I need to move too.

WHY ARE YOU IN MY CITY GET OUT  :argh!:

also, you live way too close for comfort. DONT SNEAK UP ON ME  :argh!:

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

also, are you one of those nerds i see running around the park of roses with your swords?  :lol: