News:

PD.Com: Pretention in a can.

Main Menu

Lisbon Summit fun

Started by Cain, November 17, 2010, 04:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

A little birdie tells me NATO is going to delcare at the Lisbon Summit on either Friday or Saturday (presumably to ensure the major networks do not report on it) two things:

1) NATO is never ever going to leave Afghanistan, declaring South and Central Asia to be within it's remit in the same way Carter did for the Middle East, and
2) NATO is going to keep all of its nukes and enforce a strategic concept of permament nuclear weapons superiority

That's what I hear, anyhow.

Cain

Also, formal policy on how to deal with Iran will be laid down.  Either pressure will ease on Iran to obtain their aid in Afghanistan, or, more likely, Iran will be placed into the "emerging threat" category which will not only allow NATO to antagonize Iran further, but also use that threat classification to justify restarting the Ballistic Missile Defense Doctrine - obstensibly aimed at deterring Iranian nuclear attack on mainland Europe, but more likely aimed at Russia.

And if that happens, expect Medvedev to be a dead man walking.  He staked a lot of credibility on his pro-Western foreign policy, and he will lose a lot of face and political capital if NATO starts acting in such a manner.  Even Putin may not be able to entirely escape such a backlash, working as he did to use Europe to offset American unilateralism.

Requia ☣

Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jasper

Awesome.

My favorite part is how badly this will end for almost everybody.