News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

The War Against Hipsters, Part 1.

Started by Suu, November 18, 2010, 07:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Today after work, I walked into a store that had a "vintage" section, hoping to find something awesome, say, from the 30s or 40s or at least fabrics I can use...

...Everything on the rack was by Arizona Jean Company and from 1995/96.

Hold up...That's within 20 years. That's not vintage, that's just hipsters being fucking lazy and charging too much for shit you can pay $5 for at Salvation Army, I thought to myself.

And then low and behold, the hipster shop girl comes over and points out things on the rack, like she's some sort of fashionista princess...

"This jumper is super cute, don't you think? It really brings out the style of the period."

"...I think had that in 7th grade. I wore it with flannel and Doc Martens. In fact I think it's in my 7th grade picture that year."

<--- Photographic evidence. The bottom had attached plaid flannel skort/skorts. The one in the store was almost identical.

"But, I don't think you understand the style that this represents."

"...Grunge?"

"Well, no, it was the pivotal look of the mid 1990s."

"You say it like it was so long ago."

"Well I was born in 1991 and..."

*cough*

"Are you okay?"

"Well, it's just that you're charging $60 for this...I don't even think my parents paid that much for it when it came out."

"The price higher because of the value of the clothing."

"...Right. You keep telling yourself that, I'm going to go buy it at Salvation Army up on the Eastside for 4 bucks. Take it easy, and good luck with your store."

I swear, I'm going to go to Salvation Army, spend $50, and resell everything for 5x the price I pay for it, calling it VINTAGE, that way, the hipsters get all ironic on me and shit. Fuck them. Fuck it all. I am now going to troll every "vintage" store until I find one that I can actually praise. Gah.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

IF ONLY.

In other news, I'm going to see if Craftland will buy some of my bags. I'd rather shop at a place full of awesome handmade goods than that shit.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Gray Jester

Quote from: Suu on November 18, 2010, 07:01:00 PM
I swear, I'm going to go to Salvation Army, spend $50, and resell everything for 5x the price I pay for it, calling it VINTAGE, that way, the hipsters get all ironic on me and shit. Fuck them. Fuck it all. I am now going to troll every "vintage" store until I find one that I can actually praise. Gah.

This is a good plan.  I suggest using your profits to buy all of the PBR in your town, in order to frustrate the few joys in the small lives of most hipsters.
I am a surrealist.  It makes me feel more knightly.

Freeky

That's a good plan, Suu.

As a side note, I'm only 4 years older than that chick, and don't remember the 90's too well, but christ, at least I don't think of them as "that period".

What a tard.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Hoopla on November 18, 2010, 09:39:22 PM
I remember the 70s... fuck I'm old.  :sad:

Though I was born in 80,
Last weekend I went to the video rental store and there was this one young teen complaining to his friend that he had just watched the original Jaws and he was bored cause there was no CGI

I was debating whether the jail sentence for killing him would be worth it.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Reginald Ret

really? bitching about a lack of cheap effects?
thats just sad.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Apparently I was having babies when "vintage" was being established.

WTF. No, man, no fucking way do 15-year-old clothes qualify as "vintage". Fuuuuck that. I bet that store will be gone in a month.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

I don't think the 90s will ever be a "fashion period" in my mind.  Neither, I think, will any decade I participate in.

Perhaps posterity will see it, somehow, but I doubt I will.

Don Coyote

NIgel....you aren't trolling us are you? There is really a 'vintage' store selling overpriced shit from a thrift store. I don't know how I feel about that right now. I think disdain.

I thought vintage was shit from the 70's and earlier.....

Jasper

I think of vintage as pre-60's. 

Even "old" just isn't what it used to be.

Don Coyote

Not looking forward when shit I wore in high school is vintage.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on November 18, 2010, 09:49:30 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on November 18, 2010, 09:39:22 PM
I remember the 70s... fuck I'm old.  :sad:

Though I was born in 80,
Last weekend I went to the video rental store and there was this one young teen complaining to his friend that he had just watched the original Jaws and he was bored cause there was no CGI

I was debating whether the jail sentence for killing him would be worth it.

there isn't a jury born before 1975 that would convict you.  They're probably still scared shitless of going into the water at the beach because of that movie.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

BadBeast

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4