News:

PD.com: More merciless than a statue of Ming.

Main Menu

Biology/Systematics blog.

Started by Kai, November 27, 2010, 10:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

I started a blog last year for science musings, because I often don't feel comfortable posting things here. Mostly because I think it makes me look like I'm showing off intellectually, but also partially because I don't think dumping my science thoughts on here is much appreciated.

[link removed due to it becoming my professional blog; PM for more information]

I just recently got going again on it, so there isn't much there. However, with the way science blogs are turning into political/religious shouting matches these days, I think I'm not doing bad. I mean, have any of you seen Pharyngula recently?  :lulz:

It will mostly just be systematics/entomology/biology talk. I've got many more thoughts recently about multilevel selection theory, species concepts, and systematics. My writing isn't best, but it's mine. Just putting it out there.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cain

Pharyngula is fucking horrible.  I know at least one website which is, on and off, dedicated to mocking him and the writers at Shakesville.

Well, this is now on my science folder's feeds, so you'll have at least one regular reader from here.

Kai

Quote from: Shashaojian on November 28, 2010, 01:57:35 PM
Pharyngula is fucking horrible.  I know at least one website which is, on and off, dedicated to mocking him and the writers at Shakesville.

Well, this is now on my science folder's feeds, so you'll have at least one regular reader from here.

I know, right? And it's on a site called SCIENCE BLOGS!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with sharing opinions and having fun. That's all part of blogging. But PZ hasn't written a single post about science in years, and most of his posts are filled with this incredible vitrolic mess (not that I don't approve of a good rant). "Random ejaculations" pretty well sums up the content.

My point being, that science blogging should be about science, with the fun and opinion mixed in. And even if the blog is about skepticism on any topic, the content should follow Plait's Principle (aka Don't Be a Dick: http://vimeo.com/13704095).
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Kai

Quote from: Shashaojian on November 28, 2010, 01:57:35 PM

Also, thanks, and mind linking said blog?

Cain

It's not like he's even very good at politics, outside of its impact on science.  Even on questions of religion and wider society, I would trust Richard Bartholomew (who is, OMG A CHRISTIAN) well above and over him - not least since Richard digs up political-religious links which you can't find just by using Google for five minutes, and has favourable reviews from the likes of Jeff Shartlet.

The blog which occasionally makes fun of him is http://6thor7th.blogspot.com/ He's sorta in the same area, politically speaking, as IOZ, maybe a little bit less nihilistic though (I believe Ethan described himself as a "recovering pwog" at one point, and seems to have an affection for Situationist theories).

Kai

I think the reason I have trouble paying attention to PZ is Atheist Overload.

As in, that's all he talks about.