News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

Big Universe is Big

Started by AFK, December 04, 2010, 02:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

It's also got shit that's very very small.... wow.....
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Jasper

Very cool!  I've always been intrigued at how we seem to be at the very middle of these things.   

Persona Facade

My favorite part: the rubik's cube.
"You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on."
-George Bush

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Sigmatic on December 04, 2010, 07:37:08 PM
Very cool!  I've always been intrigued at how we seem to be at the very middle of these things.   

We are in the middle of everything, unless the universe as a whole is rotating.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

The Johnny

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on December 05, 2010, 05:15:39 AM
Quote from: Sigmatic on December 04, 2010, 07:37:08 PM

We are in the middle of everything, unless the universe as a whole is rotating.

In terms of scale, we are about in the middle of sizes, unlesss the scroll bar they made is weird like that.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

frogsicle

maybe our knowledge of what is out there is just centered on our own size category.
"There are beans in my... beans!!"

Triple Zero

indeed. Science is looking both up and down, and apparently both the large-scale and the small-scale limits push at their orders of magnitude at a similar pace. Because the scales are logarithmic and the progress isn't, this is probably not nearly as unlikely as it seems. Much less unlikely than us just happening to exist right in the middle of scales of magnitude taken as absolute.

In fact, there is nothing we can say about it because we don't know if the smallest scale we currently know is in fact the smallest scale there is. Same about the largest scales. So the fact that we're right in the middle says a lot more about the limits of scientific progress than about the actual scale structure of the universe.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Telarus

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 05, 2010, 01:23:11 PM
indeed. Science is looking both up and down, and apparently both the large-scale and the small-scale limits push at their orders of magnitude at a similar pace. Because the scales are logarithmic and the progress isn't, this is probably not nearly as unlikely as it seems. Much less unlikely than us just happening to exist right in the middle of scales of magnitude taken as absolute.

In fact, there is nothing we can say about it because we don't know if the smallest scale we currently know is in fact the smallest scale there is. Same about the largest scales. So the fact that we're right in the middle says a lot more about the limits of scientific progress than about the actual scale structure of the universe.

This is what I think about "God".
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 05, 2010, 01:23:11 PM

Exactly.  We're in the middle of the scale because we made the scale.  I think that any intelligent Arcturus or HIV sized beings capable of coming up with their own scale would find themselves in the middle theirs as well.

It's the same reason why the map on the wall in my school looked like this,

instead of this.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Jasper

I take it back, in terms of meters we're about 9 orders of magnitude larger than the very center of what we've observed.  Transistor gates and the like are closer to the middle of the logarithmic scales between the size of the universe and strings.

Right?  That's what I'm seeing.

Rumckle

Quote from: Pastor-Mullah Zappathruster on December 06, 2010, 04:00:57 AM
SNIP

instead of this.

Yeah, but the map on my school wall never looked like the bottom one.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Rumckle on December 06, 2010, 09:23:18 PM
Quote from: Pastor-Mullah Zappathruster on December 06, 2010, 04:00:57 AM
SNIP

instead of this.

Yeah, but the map on my school wall never looked like the bottom one.

That's because your convict ancestors were also from the Northern Hemisphere.  :D
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS