News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

We're All Hipsters.

Started by Phox, December 09, 2010, 07:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Jesus christ I cannot believe this thread became about the h-word. Dkr. Phox's message of horror was spot on.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cain

We're all hispters now.

No, wait, we're all emo kids.  Or are we all anarchists?  Environmentalists.  We are all Christine O'Donnell.  And Time Person of the Year 2006.  We are being all that we can be.  We believe we can make a difference.  We're all in this together.  We all live in a Yellow Submarine.  We're all going on a summer holiday.  We are family, I got all my sisters with me.  We are sorry, but no lines are available to take your call at this time.  We are the champions, my friends.  We are sorry, but Windows has suffered an unidentified problem and has had to close this program.

Kai

Quote from: Cain on December 10, 2010, 01:21:57 PM
We're all hispters now.

No, wait, we're all emo kids.  Or are we all anarchists?  Environmentalists.  We are all Christine O'Donnell.  And Time Person of the Year 2006.  We are being all that we can be.  We believe we can make a difference.  We're all in this together.  We all live in a Yellow Submarine.  We're all going on a summer holiday.  We are family, I got all my sisters with me.  We are sorry, but no lines are available to take your call at this time.  We are the champions, my friends.  We are sorry, but Windows has suffered an unidentified problem and has had to close this program.

Nice channeling of IOZ there.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cain

It seemed like the only reasonable response.

Phox

Quote from: ϗ on December 10, 2010, 01:11:09 PM
Jesus christ I cannot believe this thread became about the h-word. Dkr. Phox's message of horror was spot on.

I can believe it. And thanks, Kai.

And thanks to all the other people who get it.

And thanks ECH, I love nothing more than causing a stir.

We're all hispters now.

:lulz:

hooplala

Quote from: Abraxas on December 10, 2010, 12:14:54 PM
And it has nothing to do with stupid clothing or bad taste in music. I find it absolutely unforgivable and repugnant that there's a subculture based around the idea that being genuine is undesirable.

Where is it written that a hipster, by definition, is not genuine?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

East Coast Hustle

I'm pretty sure it's in the first page of every issue of Vice Magazine.

But you know what, nevermind. I still hate hipsters and everything they stand for but it was stupid of me to derail Phox's thread over it. Apologies, Phox. And I DO get your point, and I think you should troll this individual until they either get it or start crying uncontrollably and/or break their own nose.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Abraxas on December 10, 2010, 04:58:13 PM
I'm pretty sure it's in the first page of every issue of Vice Magazine.

But you know what, nevermind. I still hate hipsters and everything they stand for but it was stupid of me to derail Phox's thread over it. Apologies, Phox. And I DO get your point, and I think you should troll this individual until they either get it or start crying uncontrollably and/or break their own nose.

And if he does start punching himself in the face, do upload to youtube.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

And it has nothing to do with stupid clothing or bad taste in music. I find it absolutely unforgivable and repugnant that there's a subculture based around the idea that being genuine is undesirable.

Bullshit. That's some made-up shit right there. Hipsters spend 99% of their time proclaiming how "authentic" they are. How they were into that band before they were cool, etc.

Right?

Hipster is a completely meaningless term. It doesn't mean fuck-all. And yeah, if you walk into any bar in Portland, someone's going to look at you and decide you're a hipster. There's even a hipster category pre-cut-out for you, and all they have to do is glance at you, decide you fit in it, and dismiss you, alll while you're doing the same to them.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

:horrormirth:

Got the horrormirth back, Phox.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on December 10, 2010, 06:09:43 PM

Bullshit. That's some made-up shit right there. Hipsters spend 99% of their time proclaiming how "authentic" they are. How they were into that band before they were cool, etc.

Right?

Hipster is a completely meaningless term. It doesn't mean fuck-all. And yeah, if you walk into any bar in Portland, someone's going to look at you and decide you're a hipster. There's even a hipster category pre-cut-out for you, and all they have to do is glance at you, decide you fit in it, and dismiss you, alll while you're doing the same to them.

I'm REALLY trying to let this go.

but..

"Authentic" and "Genuine" are NOT the same thing. Especially when said authenticity is just a pose meant to gain "cred points" in the scene. And if you REALLY think that EVERYONE can be shoehorned into some category of hipster, you're either wilfully devaluing the entire meaning of the term or you really need to broaden your social horizons.

Believe me, even in Portland there are hundreds of thousands of people who are not in any way, shape, or form anything even remotely resembling a hipster.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Eater of Clowns

The title "We're All Hipsters" doesn't have anything to do with the actual point of the post.  It's distracting, with the emotions that word elicits on the boards these days.  Where once I would roll my eyes at the people the word represented, now I roll my eyes at the word itself.  It's so fucking annoying just to hear it anymore, to the point where hating on hipsters, defining hipsters, etc. is just a chore.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

Who are we?  We're the Friendly People...

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

We're all hispters now.

:lulz:

I'm not a hipster.  I'm a Roger.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.