News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

Hey Bill O! The REAL War on Christmas was waged and won a long time ago.

Started by AFK, December 15, 2010, 02:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

Quote from: Suu on December 20, 2010, 05:07:35 AM
Not really. He was pretty brilliant for his time. It's just that our lifestyles have evolved GREATLY since the 17th century.

Anyone who believes that people in general could coexist peacefully and respect each other's rights is fucked up in my book.

Kai

Quote from: Doktor Phox on December 15, 2010, 07:40:04 PM
It's for these reasons that I keep all of my rosaries, I still wear St. Christopher, I still carry St. Bernadette and St. Jude in my wallet, and I still have a crucifix on my wall. I do still attend mass on Easter and Christmas. I say all the prayers at mass, I genuflect, I perform the gestures. If I'm feeling particularly "in the mood", I'll partake of the Eucharist. Partially, because of it's expected of me. But for the most part, I do it, because these things were all part of my life in a simpler, happier time. I was damn glad to have my shitty little plastic rosary, because it was my first one, and I still have it now, though I also have two nicer ones. I've lost more crucifixes and St. Christopher medals than anyone I know. And I always replace them when I do, even after I left the Church. Maybe it's selfish, and maybe it's so some people will leave me alone about religion. But it's also, reminding myself that I CAN be a better person, and for all the problems with the Church, they were teaching some things correctly.

Yes yes yes. Goddamn, I need to get to mass next saturday. Maybe I could con my mom into going. She hasn't been in years, so I don't know if it will work.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Suu

Quote from: Doktor Phox on December 20, 2010, 05:10:53 AM
Not really. He was pretty brilliant for his time. It's just that our lifestyles have evolved GREATLY since the 17th century.

Anyone who believes that people in general could coexist peacefully and respect each other's rights is fucked up in my book.

No, he said that it would never work, but it was nice thinking it could. He did say some good shit about religion though. Don't enforce ONE religion, or people will fight. Yeah, IF ONLY...

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Phox

Quote from: Suu on December 20, 2010, 01:55:51 PM
Quote from: Doktor Phox on December 20, 2010, 05:10:53 AM

No, he said that it would never work, but it was nice thinking it could. He did say some good shit about religion though. Don't enforce ONE religion, or people will fight. Yeah, IF ONLY...

Eh. I suppose i read it differently. I thought he said the reason to have a government at all was to prevent people from going overboard in their pursuit of justice. Though he did say that people can't be trusted to be their own judges. Hmm. You're right. I'll concede the point.

Epimetheus

POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS