News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

Solitary detention = torture?

Started by Cain, December 15, 2010, 02:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Able on December 16, 2010, 02:01:08 AM
Bill of rights still doesn't apply to military personal

You're an idiot.  The Bill of Rights specifically mentions military personnel. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Able on December 16, 2010, 07:33:55 AM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on December 16, 2010, 02:03:53 AM
Torture laws do.

Not until the supreme court says they do

Yatto, you're the reason we're in this mess.  You and people like you.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Well, now we know why they're torturing him.

http://slatest.slate.com/id/2278213/entry/1/

QuoteU.S. federal prosecutors are investigating whether WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange worked with Army intelligence analyst Bradley Manning to steal classified documents from the government, reports the New York Times. The discovery of such evidence would mean he could be tried as a conspirator in the leak.

Basically, if Manning testifies that Assange "assisted him" in the actual leak, then the government can go after Assange for that, rather than for publishing them.  It gets around the First Amendment arguments.

Give the kid a few more months of solitary to soften him up, and he'll say anything they want him to.

Phox

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on December 16, 2010, 04:13:51 PM

QuoteU.S. federal prosecutors are investigating whether WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange worked with Army intelligence analyst Bradley Manning to steal classified documents from the government, reports the New York Times. The discovery of such evidence would mean he could be tried as a conspirator in the leak.

Basically, if Manning testifies that Assange "assisted him" in the actual leak, then the government can go after Assange for that, rather than for publishing them.  It gets around the First Amendment arguments.

Give the kid a few more months of solitary to soften him up, and he'll say anything they want him to.

Fuckin' Christ.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

This is the correct Set of Motorcycles for Drawing and Quartering (FOR AMERICA'S SAFETY!!)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Johnny

This is why everyone owes a kick in the nuts to the writers of "24".

THERES ONE HOUR IN THE BOMB TIMER/WE NEED TO FIND THE "CONSPIRATORS" - QUICK TORTURE HIM.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Good Reverend Roger

AND TEH ROCKET'S RED GLARE, TEH BOMBS BURSTING IN AIR, GAVE PROOF THROUGH TEH NIGHT THAT OUR FLAG WAS STILL THERE!
\
:mrh:

the last yatto

Hey I'm not the one who said national security trumps Judicial  oversight
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Adios

According to David House, a computer researcher from Boston who visits Manning twice a month, he is starting to deteriorate. "Over the last few weeks I have noticed a steady decline in his mental and physical wellbeing," he said. "His prolonged confinement in a solitary holding cell is unquestionably taking its toll on his intellect; his inability to exercise due to [prison] regulations has affected his physical appearance in a manner that suggests physical weakness."
{snip}
On 3 November, House, 23, said he found customs agents waiting for him when he and his girlfriend returned to the US after a short holiday in Mexico. His bags were searched and two men identifying themselves as Homeland Security officials said they were being detained for questioning and would miss their connecting flight. The men seized all his electronic items and he was told to hand over all passwords and encryption keys – which he refused. The items have yet to be returned, said House. He added: "If Manning is convicted, it will be because his individual dedication to human ethics far surpasses that of the US government."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/16/bradley-manning-health-deteriorating

I hate what my country has become.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Charley Brown on December 17, 2010, 03:01:11 PM
According to David House, a computer researcher from Boston who visits Manning twice a month, he is starting to deteriorate. "Over the last few weeks I have noticed a steady decline in his mental and physical wellbeing," he said. "His prolonged confinement in a solitary holding cell is unquestionably taking its toll on his intellect; his inability to exercise due to [prison] regulations has affected his physical appearance in a manner that suggests physical weakness."
{snip}
On 3 November, House, 23, said he found customs agents waiting for him when he and his girlfriend returned to the US after a short holiday in Mexico. His bags were searched and two men identifying themselves as Homeland Security officials said they were being detained for questioning and would miss their connecting flight. The men seized all his electronic items and he was told to hand over all passwords and encryption keys – which he refused. The items have yet to be returned, said House. He added: "If Manning is convicted, it will be because his individual dedication to human ethics far surpasses that of the US government."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/16/bradley-manning-health-deteriorating

I hate what my country has become.

And this boys and girls is why you use good encryption.

Cain

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Adios

Hey, if it ain't broke then don't fix it. That method has always worked.