News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

Grand Theft Auto gives a nod to discordia

Started by Lies, December 28, 2010, 04:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bds

In Minecraft, the golden apple is the item that restores all your health. Also the developer, Notch, is an asshole, so he's basically guarenteed to be a Discordian.

the last yatto

radio ad http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_III_soundtrack

Eris Running Shoes - Parodies the controversy over Nike's controversial outsourcing and labor practices (Eris, like Nike, is a Greek goddess). This sneaker company employs children ("It's fun! We get to play with knives!", "Yesterday, I made a dollar!" "My friend Joey sewed his hands together!"). Eris' slogan is "Eris Running shoes, always running...from something". Eris appears in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas as one of the clothing brands, and are promoting their "Rampage" line.
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Cuddlefish

Look, IMO, you guys are all doing it wrong. The argument on whether or not this is or isn't an actual nod to Discordianism is pointless. As Discordians (y'know, the "reely-reel" type), we should be propagating the idea that someone at Rockstar Games is secretly a Discordian, and putting subtle references to Discordianism into their game. Regardess of the reality of the situation.

Basicly, it doesn't matter whether or not these guys are Discordian, what matters is that we say they are, and if we can get others to believe it.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

LMNO

Dimo is riding an Eris-sponsored motorcycle.

Cuddlefish

A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Epimetheus

Quote from: Cuddlethulu on December 28, 2010, 03:55:38 PM
Look, IMO, you guys are all doing it wrong. The argument on whether or not this is or isn't an actual nod to Discordianism is pointless. As Discordians (y'know, the "reely-reel" type), we should be propagating the idea that someone at Rockstar Games is secretly a Discordian, and putting subtle references to Discordianism into their game. Regardess of the reality of the situation.

Basicly, it doesn't matter whether or not these guys are Discordian, what matters is that we say they are, and if we can get others to believe it.

troof.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Either that's a nod to the five fingered hand, or Jung's collective unconscious is way more active than I realized.
:lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

hooplala

Quote from: Cuddlethulu on December 28, 2010, 03:55:38 PM

This.  Though, I suspect it is very much on purpose.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

AFK

Could be some grunt-level art designer that came up with it but never let the higher-ups in on the gag.  Is Grand Theft still a big deal in game land? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

the last yatto

Its usually sells well when released but that drops off since multiplayer isn't included

Faust

Quote from: Able on December 28, 2010, 06:49:59 PM
Its usually sells well when released but that drops off since multiplayer isn't included

At the time GTA III was a very progressive game, its influence can still be seen in most modern games.
The successive games have all been one step forward two steps back but continue to do well solely because of the success of III.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

the last yatto

GTA I  :oops: came out about the same time as quake,
A lot of people thought that would be better then the topdown look

Lies

Quote from: Doktor Phox on December 28, 2010, 07:17:01 AM
:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

First page of google results for "eris": Wiki entries for "Eris (dwarf planet)" and "Eris" disambiguation page.

Entries for the goddess Eris at theoi.com and pantheon.org

Two news articles about the discovery of the dwarf planet Eris

and references to the Droid Eris.

Nothing about Discordia on page one.  :fnord:

I don't know what google page *your* looking at, but discordianism comes up as *my* second result when I look up Eris on google.
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Epimetheus

Quote from: Lies on December 29, 2010, 02:52:15 AM
Quote from: Doktor Phox on December 28, 2010, 07:17:01 AM
:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

First page of google results for "eris": Wiki entries for "Eris (dwarf planet)" and "Eris" disambiguation page.

Entries for the goddess Eris at theoi.com and pantheon.org

Two news articles about the discovery of the dwarf planet Eris

and references to the Droid Eris.

Nothing about Discordia on page one.  :fnord:

I don't know what google page *your* looking at, but discordianism comes up as *my* second result when I look up Eris on google.

Uh, I think you're the only one.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=eris
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS