News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

Predictions for 2011

Started by AFK, December 30, 2010, 01:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whatever

Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 30, 2010, 08:50:04 PM
Quote from: Niamh on December 30, 2010, 08:47:13 PM
I was born in 1968.   :|

Thus making you a grunge kid? Math is right.

Google better sweetie!  I'm an 80's girl.  You should have seen my in my Madonna phase.  I turned heads for more than one reason.......  :wink:

LMNO

Technically, Madonna's career was still active well into the 90's, so that really doesn't help.

Nephew Twiddleton

That and the musicians that started gaining attention around that time are approximately your age.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Whatever

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on December 30, 2010, 08:53:59 PM
Technically, Madonna's career was still active well into the 90's, so that really doesn't help.

Very true.
Quote from: Niamh on December 30, 2010, 08:52:05 PM
I was born in 1968.   :|

Google better sweetie!  I'm an 80's girl.  You should have seen my in my Madonna phase.  I turned heads for more than one reason.......  :wink:

I meant Madonna's "Material Girl" roots.  Sorry!

I never got into the grunge scene.  Some of the music was decent, but the clothes, dear god why anyone wanted to dress like that.  I never understood it.

Whatever

Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 30, 2010, 08:55:29 PM
That and the musicians that started gaining attention around that time are approximately your age.

And here I am just a data entry chick.  It's sad isn't it? :lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Niamh on December 30, 2010, 08:56:49 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD on December 30, 2010, 08:53:59 PM

Very true.
Quote from: Niamh on December 30, 2010, 08:52:05 PM
I was born in 1968.   :|

Google better sweetie!  I'm an 80's girl.  You should have seen my in my Madonna phase.  I turned heads for more than one reason.......  :wink:

I meant Madonna's "Material Girl" roots.  Sorry!

I never got into the grunge scene.  Some of the music was decent, but the clothes, dear god why anyone wanted to dress like that.  I never understood it.

It was basically a bunch of blue collar people from Seattle buying their clothes at thrift shops. When their music became popular, so did their lack of fashion sense.

Quote from: Niamh on December 30, 2010, 08:57:36 PM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 30, 2010, 08:55:29 PM

And here I am just a data entry chick.  It's sad isn't it? :lulz:

Data entry. It grabs everyone at some point.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

AFK

To, kinda, ride this tangent back to the point of the thread....

I predict that in 2011, Sonic Youth will, yet again, be passed over for induction in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 

But, Bon Jovi will get in. 

Well fuck it, SY are never getting in. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

BadBeast

Quote from: Charley Brown on December 30, 2010, 08:50:17 PM
I was born in 1968.   :|

I was born in '53 so technically I was there, but there is no memory of it.
The four years of the 60's I was there for, didn't seem to be that memorable. They probably were, but just not for me.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Hoser McRhizzy

Some talking heads will read from their teleprompters that a few troublemakers with too much time on their hands are upset that the new Border Speculum Searches aren't hygienic enough.  Talking points will include:

- The Highway: public or private space?
- why do They hate Our highway safety?
- truckers something-something economy.

20+ preexisting organizations opposed to ludicrous state surveillance will try to get people to advocate for human rights.  Over 3 million people will friend We Hate The Speculum on facebook.  Standard Internet debate will pit traditional against mechanically-assisted cavity searches.
It feels unreal because it's trickling up.

Adios

The Mexican Drug Cartels will unite and take over Mexico. They will strike a deal with big pharmaceutical companies, Congress will declare this legal. The Cartels win the war on drugs via capitalism and all are declared legal, with a prescription.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on December 30, 2010, 09:33:22 PM
The Mexican Drug Cartels will unite and take over Mexico. They will strike a deal with big pharmaceutical companies, Congress will declare this legal. The Cartels win the war on drugs via capitalism and all are declared legal, with a prescription.

Legalization would be a huge defeat for the cartels.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 30, 2010, 09:36:36 PM

Not if they struck the right deal.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on December 30, 2010, 09:40:01 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 30, 2010, 09:36:36 PM

Not if they struck the right deal.

Let's see...Flood the market, prices go down, deal with regulatory bodies, taxation, etc.

Or just keep running the shit across for high dollars on low investments.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Juana

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 30, 2010, 08:02:52 PM
2011 is going to be the 10th Anniversary of you know what. 

The sanctimony and fearmongering will be of epic proportions this year. 

I predict I will vomit until it burns. 
Uuuugh. Jesus Christ, it's going to be ugly. Endless repeats of jumpers again and again. The crocodile tears Republicans who're blocking 9/11 Responders bill will drown us all.

Blue collar folks will continue to rail against unions, none of them realizing that unions were key making their jobs safe(r) and their pay better.

College will become more expensive, forcing schools to take fewer applicants. California will probably see another 25% hike in 2011.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Juana

Oh yes, and many more slackitivist petitions will be passed around Facebook as more and more problems appear. "Sign this petition to stop the sea turtle burnings!!" an easy, feel-good solution for everyone but the sea turtles.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."