News:

Attempting to do something

Main Menu

A Rather Mild Revelation, part IV of V

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 30, 2010, 04:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

There's something almost spiritual about sitting in my office, listening to Elton John's Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player, and watching Tucson slowly melt under a relentless drizzle.  The sky is a dull grey, and everything else has turned baby-shit brown.

In most cities the rain washes the filth away, leaving the city almost clean and new-looking.  Not so in Tucson, where the washed-away filth only exposes the next layer of grime.  This City is rotten to the core...Which is why it's always been a favorite city for country singers to write about.

In keeping with the mood, I haven't shaved in days, and I'm damn near comatose with fatigue, stress, and the gnawing feeling that - though it hates YOU - Tucson loves ME.  It loves me to death.  This may be why it refuses to eat me when I go on one of my substance & no sleep-addled rampages through Central Filth.

Oh, yes, I cut a fine figure today.  Usual jeans, black tee shirt, engineer boots, plus a down vest and a cheap cigar poking out of my bewhiskered face, looking like every grizzled maintenance superintendant that ever lived in the fevered imagination of screen casters.  I feel like Tucson, today.  I understand it completely, and I wouldn't trade it for anywhere else in the world.  I am a vile man, and this is a vile town.

It's days like this that Elton John really hits the spot...The old stuff, mind you, when Reginald White knew the deal...When he understood how things are managed by people crushed under the stone of everyday life.  He wasn't always sappy sound tracks and really bad 80s music, you know.  Before that, there was Madman Across the Water and Tumbleweed Connection, which contain some of the finest blues music ever made.  The song Burn Down the Mission still fills me with a hate that's rather difficult to describe without doing so in person...And none of you want that.

I guess the point of all this is that it's on days like this that I feel that things may not actually be going to shit, because it's always been shit.  It's been crap since before I was born, and the very same crap surrounds me now, just with an inch or so of sediment on it...Sediment that gets washed away on a day like this, exposing the world for the mud and shit I always knew it was.

Is that a downer?  Sorry, it's the truth...And it ain't all bad.  For in a filthy world, I can be a filthy man, full of vile, disgusting, and mostly fun habits, with no thought whatsoever of appeasing the propriety of a world that pretends to be shiny, but is actually nothing more than glitter on a turd.

Oh, yes, this is MY world.  It's what I was born for, it's what I do, it's who I am.  And I'll stomp the fuck out of anything and anyone that gets between me and my base and degrading urges.  That means ANYONE, top to bottom, church weenie or "government" official.  They'll have to kill me to get me to stop, and they've already demonstrated their inability and/or unwillingness to do so.  I am, after all, the last Holy Man™ they have.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I gotta go loosen up my soul a bit.

Or Kill Me.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Adios

Somehow I have a vision of a volcano in downtown being called metro improvement.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on December 30, 2010, 04:58:46 PM
Somehow I have a vision of a volcano in downtown being called metro improvement.

"Bob" wouldn't let God do that to us.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

People don't get it, Roger. Most people mistake the mirth on our faces for joy. They just don't know how we keep up such a positive attitude in the face of adversity, and it's only when they look into our eyes that they see a little of what we know, and are overwhelmed with the need to take a step back.

Then they decide that we're crazy, or that they imagined it. But we know. And when you're a Holy Man™, you are called to share the Horrible Truth. There's just no way out of it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Fujikoma

I've been reading these, and I think they're great. I think I missed three, though.

I especially enjoyed this one... A little dark, but, yeah, IMO, there's a lot of truth to the picture of the world it paints. It ain't just Tucson that's round and brown. They can wrap it with all the shiny tinfoil they want, but the stench gives it away.