News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

Psychological Studies on Conformity relevant to GASM's, Mindfucks

Started by Dean, December 31, 2010, 08:11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean

http://www.wimp.com/conformityvideo/

The most important point is at 7:20. You can't let yourself be conformed to the group that you have assigned yourself to (and don't say that you aren't in a group). Be extra critical of dems if you are a dem, libs if you are a lib, and tea partiers if you are a tea partier or a british soldier.

At around 6:05, information relevant to Mindfucks and GASMs. If one voice saying an opinion three times is as valid to people as three different people saying the same opinion (reading the article now and validating that this is what it really implies) then a single agent of Eris has the potential to mindfuck an entire group if changing the group opinion is involved in the mindfuck.

Fodder for your mind, and your bantha.

Dean

btw, i don't know if anyone has told anyone here, but this is my favorite psychology thing from class.

Not Brad Pitt doing a photoshoot for inglorious basterds, in fact it is Hermann Rorschach, the creator of the Rorschach test. Imagine my surprise opening my tests and measures book to see what I thought was Pitt staring me back in the face. (Rorschach must have gotten so much psychology grad student ass).

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Dean on December 31, 2010, 08:31:04 AM
(Rorschach must have gotten so much psychology grad student ass).

That would help explain why his theory turned out to be terribly popular yet, "repeatedly failed as a prediction of practical criteria."
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cain

There was a new study on Asch's Conformity tests recently, incidentally.

QuoteInstead of one real subject in a room full of stranger stooges, they used polarising glasses – the same technology used to present a different image to the left and right eye for 3D films – to show participants different images on the same screen, at the same time, in the same room. This meant that friends could disagree, legitimately, and so exert social pressure, but without faking it.

The results were problematic. Overall, sometimes the minority people did conform to peer pressure, giving incorrect answers. But when the results were broken down, women did conform, a third of the time, but men did not. This poses a problem. Why were the results of this study different to the original study?

More info and links here http://mindhacks.com/2010/11/08/the-confusing-wisdom-of-crowds/

Cramulus

Golden Applesauce

Has anyone ever actually re-run the original Asch experiment?
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Jasper

I would venture to say that with vision altering glasses, the novelty of the situation is great enough that people are more willing to disconform in order to make sense of what is happening.

IOW, they would be more likely to see through the ruse and mention different experiences with vision-altering glasses on.

Triple Zero

I had the same thoughts.

Would be interesting to try it with even better trickery so the people really have no idea they're looking at differnt things.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jasper

What shape would that take?  Selecting only people who use glasses, then sneakily altering the glasses somehow?

OHHH

Projectors.  You use projectors to make a matte white object look like different colors from different angles.

Triple Zero

Yeah, or other stage magic tricks.

Or you beam the images straight onto their retinas, in such a way that it looks like it's on the projected screen.

I dunno. I bet Derren Brown could come up with something. But then again, I bet Derren Brown would be able to prime those people into saying whatever :lol:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dean on December 31, 2010, 08:11:26 AM
http://www.wimp.com/conformityvideo/

The most important point is at 7:20. You can't let yourself be conformed to the group that you have assigned yourself to (and don't say that you aren't in a group). Be extra critical of dems if you are a dem, libs if you are a lib, and tea partiers if you are a tea partier or a british soldier.

At around 6:05, information relevant to Mindfucks and GASMs. If one voice saying an opinion three times is as valid to people as three different people saying the same opinion (reading the article now and validating that this is what it really implies) then a single agent of Eris has the potential to mindfuck an entire group if changing the group opinion is involved in the mindfuck.

Fodder for your mind, and your bantha.

That was pretty awesome.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."