American Psychological Association to publish controversial 'PSI' paper

Started by Telarus, January 10, 2011, 07:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Requia ☣

I'm now envisioning an experiment where people are asked to chose the left or right box, one of which will have the erotic images and, one of which will have horrible mind rending things selected by Roger, and seeing which one gets picked more often.   :lulz:

Not done reading, but this is... interesting.  In particular the powers he's proposing actually have a reason to exist from a natural selection standpoint*.  Assuming he's not faking the data or lying about his methods, this actually holds up so far.  A great deal of repetition is necessary.

*Apparently my confidence in the theory of evolution is higher than my confidence in the laws of physics, interesting.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cramulus

I, for one, am really excited that an established psychologist who already has a lot of credibility is looking at these things. It's difficult for parapsychologists to be taken seriously by mainstream psychological researchers because

(a) so many parapsychologists use really weird unproven explanations for the effects they find
(b) most parapsychologists don't have any cred in mainstream circles

the word Parapsychology itself makes a lot of psych researchers roll their eyes.. which is sort of sad because when paraspsychologists DO find something interesting, there are no ... hmm... social instruments for mainstream science to detect it. I think Bem's credibility will go a long way here.

Requia ☣

Psych researchers rolling their eyes at parapsychology has more to do with ~80 years of parapsychologists failing to produce any repeatable experimental results before the rest of the psych community said 'fuck it, get out'.

This paper isn't the same tired old debunked ideas being dragged out again, but new ideas that might be correct, and at the least require new debunking.

Jasper

Freely admitted, I did roll my eyes-  As a psych major, I'm definitely chagrined by the effect unscientific claims have had on the overall credibility of psychology as a science.  But if the paper turns out to be an appropriate application of psychological science with compelling results, I will accept them.  Plan to read this after school.  Maybe do a write-up?

LMNO

I'm wondering if the experiments have the rigor of a "hard science" experiment (physics, etc), or if it's a tightly controlled "correlation" experiment.

Jasper

No behavioral science can be as rigorous as a phys or chem experiment, ever.

LMNO

I suppose.  Plus, as noted above, what is being suggested violates known physical laws; I'm guessing no one attempts to reconcile this.

Jasper

Richter

Quote from: Sigmatic on January 10, 2011, 07:48:12 PM
No behavioral science can be as rigorous as a phys or chem experiment, ever.

Which is why it's important to do so with a very objective viewpoint and careful methodology including multiple levels of blinds and controls.  You literally CAN see diffferent results dependign on whether or not you're looking for them, when psychology is involved. 

Correlation is NOT relationship, as the professors made certain to demonstrate to us in school, due to the daunting number of factors invovled if nothing else.

Especially with parapsychology, even valid results with solid experimetnal design may be discarded, simply for the prejudice against the field, and biased view from a "Scholarly", "Scientific" community.  (Which REALLY irks me.)
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Jasper

Psych experiments are particularly hard because of "realism".  Like in the Asch conformity test with the glasses that was mentioned recently?  People will behave differently with regard to how they expect you to expect them to act.  Which is Fucking Frustrating.  QM is downright obliging by comparison.

Requia ☣

What exactly do you mean by a correlation experiment?  The only things like that in psychology that I'm aware of are questionnaire relationship type deals (IE, people with high scores on the authoritarian construct correlate to high aversion on INC-NON humor, stuff like that).  The two experiments I've read so far aren't anything like that.

Jasper

A lot of them are basically creating an environment, providing a stimulus, and observing behaviors. 

LMNO

Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 10, 2011, 08:33:18 PM
What exactly do you mean by a correlation experiment?  The only things like that in psychology that I'm aware of are questionnaire relationship type deals (IE, people with high scores on the authoritarian construct correlate to high aversion on INC-NON humor, stuff like that).  The two experiments I've read so far aren't anything like that.

I meant "When we do X, we get Y."

As opposed to "Because of Z (which works because of A and B), when we do X, we get Y."

Fucking violation of physical laws, how do they work?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 10, 2011, 07:36:38 PM
Psych researchers rolling their eyes at parapsychology has more to do with ~80 years of parapsychologists failing to produce any repeatable experimental results before the rest of the psych community said 'fuck it, get out'.

This

QuoteThis paper isn't the same tired old debunked ideas being dragged out again, but new ideas that might be correct, and at the least require new debunking.

And that.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.