News:

"We don't make the apocalypse, we make the apocalypse better."

Main Menu

Cool as a Cucumber, but Hot Enough to Burn Your Face Off

Started by Cuddlefish, January 10, 2011, 09:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuddlefish

I was struck by a bit of culinary devine inspiration at the supermarket the other night, and decided to make a Cucumber/Jalepeno salad.

Three cucmbers
One red onion
One good sized jalepeno
Oil/vinegar
And a dash or so of salt, pepper, and sugar, to taste.

I was realy surprised at how quickly the cucumbers absorbed the spicyness of the jalepnos.

Next time, I'm going to try this with pepperoccini's (sp?) for a more tangy/less spicy variation, just so I don't have listen to people whine about the heat.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Jenne

Ha.  I made this with serranos and green onions the other night.  Used pomegranate vinegar, white balsamic, honey from EoC and serranos with sliced WHITE ends of green onions.  Hoo-ee, it's great!

Cuddlefish

Richter

Ohcool, I'll be bringing some stuff too, so jsut let me know what you think might compliment it well.

I'ma have to try it making some myself too.  I like the idea of using pepperocinis, and I've got a jar of pickled hot peppers I may try it with too.  I can't shake the feeling there's something else to add here...

Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Jasper

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cuddlefish

Quote from: East Coast Hipster on January 11, 2011, 08:08:50 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on January 11, 2011, 12:42:26 AM
Jicama?

This.

Also, maybe either some fresh mint or some fresh cilantro.

Ooh, mint and cilantro, both good ideas. Not sure what jicama is, tho.

Jasper

It is kind of like potato, kind of like watermelon.  But that's a poor description.  Better just to try it.

Jenne

...also, the "j" in jicama is actually pronounced /h/.  :lol:  In case you go looking for it in a grocery store and have to ask.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cuddlefish

Quote from: East Coast Hipster on January 11, 2011, 08:08:50 PM
Also, maybe either some fresh mint or some fresh cilantro.

ECH, made this again last night with the mint (and a sightly milder pepper for the sissies) and it was great! Thanks for the idea.

Richter

This was some seriously tasty stuff.  I'll be yanking the idea and serving it to people during the summer well chilled.

Cuddlefish

Oh, and I totally forgot, I had an idea last night. I'm gonna have to wait for the summer to try, but intead of adding any sugar, instead, ball up some honeydew melon and throw it in. I think that will bring it to perfection. Thoughts?

EDIT: Oh, and I switched from a red onion to a yellow onion. The tangyness of the yellow onion fit the dish better, and the different pepper I used last night was red, so the colors were still nice.