News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "At least Satanists HAVE a worldview. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that discordians not only don't, but will actively mock anyone who does."

Main Menu

Queensland

Started by Adios, January 11, 2011, 10:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Have you guys been following this story? Brisbane is next.

Three quarters of the state of Queensland has been declared a disaster zone after torrential rain threatened the worst flooding in the state capital in 37 years.

Ten people were confirmed dead in flash flooding Tuesday which swept through the town of Toowoomba, about 125 kilometers (80 miles) west of Brisbane, on Monday afternoon.

The wall of water came without warning, overturning cars and swamping homes. More than 24 hours later, 78 people remained missing.
{snip}
The wave of water that devastated Toowoomba was moving through the Lockyer Valley where it was set to feed into the Wivenhoe Dam, built after the 1974 floods to prevent a similar disaster.

Heavy rains have already filled the dam to capacity and authorities are releasing water at staged intervals to release the pressure. That water is flowing into the already swollen Brisbane River. High tides predicted for Wednesday are expected to push the river's water levels even higher before peak Thursday.

The predicted flooding in Brisbane follows a deluge further north that swamped the city of Rockhampton, 600 kilometers (370 miles) north of Brisbane in early January.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/01/11/australia.floods/index.html?hpt=T2

Suu

Christ. Don't we have spags from Queensland? Or are they all NSW?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Adios

Quote from: Suu on January 11, 2011, 10:39:38 PM

I'm not sure. That is a very old dam to be under that kind of stress.

Rumckle

They're saying it is going to be at least as bad as the 1974 Brisbane flood, and are expecting the Brisbane CBD to flood, as well as low lying suburbs. Apparently the people in Brisbane are ok atm, but it is going to get worse.

Quote from: Suu on January 11, 2011, 10:39:38 PM

Placid Dingo is in Brisbane, and Bones is some where in QLD, I think.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Telarus

When will people realize that building on flood plains requires stilts. Even if they "don't flood every year".
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Adios

Quote from: Telarus on January 11, 2011, 10:52:35 PM
When will people realize that building on flood plains requires stilts. Even if they "don't flood every year".
They used to do that in Georgia along the river. A house 20 feet in the air with a boat on the front porch. Made me giggle.

Telarus

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 11, 2011, 11:05:36 PM
They used to do that in Georgia along the river. A house 20 feet in the air with a boat on the front porch. Made me giggle.

See! LULZ as Side effect!
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Rumckle

It's not trolling, it's just satire.

BadBeast

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I know there are a lot of houses in Queensland that are on stilts... mostly for the cooling effect of having air flowing under your house.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Adios

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 12, 2011, 03:42:05 PM

I know there are a lot of houses in Queensland that are on stilts... mostly for the cooling effect of having air flowing under your house.

In fact aren't they called Queensland houses?

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 12, 2011, 03:42:05 PM

Yes they do. Problem in a flood is the water goes up and they FLOAT THE FUCK OFF.

ANyway.

Yes, I'm a QLDer.

Yes I'm in Brisbane.

And yeah. Fucking wet here.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Lies

I've got friends there who are also disco who don't come to these boards that are affected too...

My thoughts are with you guys :(
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!