News:

There's a sucker born every minute... and you are right on time.

Main Menu

Nobel Prize Winner Says DNA (may) Perform Quantum Teleportation

Started by Telarus, January 13, 2011, 09:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

http://science.slashdot.org/story/11/01/13/0017256/Nobel-Prize-Winner-Says-DNA-Performs-Quantum-Teleportation

"New Scientist is reporting that the joint winner of the Nobel Prize for medicine in 2008, Luc Montagnier is claiming that DNA can send 'electromagnetic imprints' of it self into distant cells and fluids which can then be used by enzymes to create copies of the original DNA. This would be equivalent to quantum teleportation. You can read the original paper here [PDF]."

-----><-----

There is quite the back and forth of vitriol going on in the slashdot comments. Most of it seems to be dismissing this as "woo woo", but there are a few reasoned counterpoints to the real critiques of his controls and experimental setup.

Very interesting idea.

We know for a fact that then human body can emit radiation, and not just infrared 'heat' radiation, but radiation in other aspects of the electromagnetic spectrum (the japanese "blind room" studies).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helical_antenna
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

LMNO

First off, DNA is of a much higher order than quarks.

Secondly, "Quantum Teleportation" is yet another attempt to make decoherence intuitive (which it isn't).

Lastly, decoherence happens everywhere, all the time, so it's only natural that DNA would also quantumly decohere.

Cain

He only said it might.

It also might not.  He also might just like trolling the science media.  He might be tripping during this interview.  And you'll never know for sure, because of quantum.

LMNO

I think I needs to start ending all my thoughts with, "because of Quantum".

Cain

Cramulus

"-because of quantum" will now replace "-in game" as the phrase I append to fortune cookies.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

What are the Japanese "Blind Room" studies? Googling that phrase gave me the Wikipedia article on Masaru Emoto, I'm hoping it's not related to him, cause your sentence started with "We know for a fact" ...
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jenne

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on January 13, 2011, 02:08:30 PM
I think I needs to start ending all my thoughts with, "because of Quantum".

...was wondering where this came from.

MYSTERY:  SOLVED.

Also, brilliant!  I shall now be adding this to any and all arguments forthwith.  Thereby confusing my interlocutors into ONE) thinking I'm over a barrel TWO) unable to continue the conversation THREE) simultaneously producing the ejective "HUH?" and the action of scratching their heads FOUR) not giving a shit about ONE through FOUR and FIVE) there's always a 5?

...I blame Suu's Southern Hoopla.

Telarus

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 13, 2011, 11:36:55 PM
What are the Japanese "Blind Room" studies? Googling that phrase gave me the Wikipedia article on Masaru Emoto, I'm hoping it's not related to him, cause your sentence started with "We know for a fact" ...

Ah, that was my term. I'll dig up the link I had in the "What is Chi" thread.

Quote from: Telarus on October 04, 2010, 12:03:43 AM
Quote from: Telarus on November 10, 2008, 01:33:37 AM
The quote from the above article was just a little snippet taken out of their closing. The entire article is really worth reading thro. They have correlated Ki activity with energy in the near-infrared range, and produced repeatable effects involving bouncing it with mirrors.

Here's an earlier study by the same people from 2006:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1475930

Bump.

This 'wacky' idea keeps coming up.

http://www.livescience.com/health/090722-body-glow.html

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Pæs

Quote from: Cramulus on January 13, 2011, 04:05:27 PM
"-because of quantum" will now replace "-in game" as the phrase I append to fortune cookies.
I'm going to see how many Wikipedia articles I can get it included in.