News:

i mean, pardon my english but this, the life i'm living is ww1 trench warfare.

Main Menu

CAIN!!!

Started by Adios, January 17, 2011, 09:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Some people brag about serving scotch whisky that's 15 years old. But three bottles of Mackinlays scotch flown to Scotland by private jet Monday date back to the late 19th Century.

The bottles are linked to famed explorer Ernest Shackleton's Nimrod expedition in 1907. They were found last year in a crate that had been buried beneath a basic hut Shackleton had used during his dramatic excursion, more formally known as the British Antarctic Expedition.

The crate itself was, unsurprisingly, frozen solid after more than a century beneath the Antarctic surface.

But the precious bottles were found intact, and researchers could hear the whisky sloshing around inside. Antarctica's minus 22 Fahrenheit (-30 Celsius) temperature was not enough to freeze the liquor, dating from 1896 or 1897, and experts said it was in remarkably good condition.

And probably tasty too: It is common in London's look-at-me bars to sell some aged cognacs for 50 pounds ($80) a glass or more, but none of Shackleton's stash will be put on this private market, so no one will know how much consumers would have paid for such a historic dram.

The bottles, part of a cache of 11 bottles found, were judged too valuable to be returned to Scotland on a commercial flight — for reasons frequent travelers can understand — so they were flown back in the private jet of Vijay Mallya, owner of Whyte & Mackay's, which bought Mackinlays some years ago.

The Mackinlays whisky will be studied and tasted in a lab for six weeks before being returned to Shackleton's hut under the floorboards of Shackleton's hut at Cape Royds on Ross Island, near Antarctica's McMurdo Sound.

The lab findings will be sent to the Antarctic Heritage Trust.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41122315/ns/technology_and_science-science/

Oh! For just one glass!

Whatever

I'm with you there Charley!!!

Pope Pixie Pickle

Adios

THE FUCKS ARE GOING TO PUT IT BACK AND LEAVE IT THERE.  :cry:

Whatever

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 17, 2011, 09:31:28 PM

I really am surprised they said that in the article considering the possible value of this and those buyers out there who will not think twice if the product were obtained "less" than legally...

The Good Reverend Roger

1.  Rent boat.

2.  Bring parka.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Adios

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 17, 2011, 09:37:53 PM

1.  Rent boat.

2.  Bring parka.

I FULLY SUPPORT THIS PLAN

Whatever

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 17, 2011, 09:37:53 PM

1.  Rent boat.

2.  Bring parka.

You drive!

I have tools!

Jasper

THE FUCKS ARE GOING TO PUT IT BACK AND LEAVE IT THERE.  :cry:

Shed no tears; This is providence.  They are putting it where they found it.  And leaving.

Cain

Yeah, they found "11" bottles.  Uh huh.  Sure.  No doubt the fact such a scotch would be perfectly chilled did not sway them in the slightest in reporting the number of bottles accurately and without sampling any of the wares.

I wonder if they were using chill-filtering back then?  If not, the taste may be a little surprising...

Jasper

Woulda been more like two if it was me.

Adios

There is little information on the value of vintage bottles of Dom Perignon, however, at a 2004 auction at Christie's in New York City, three bottles of Dom Pérignon 1921 sold for US $24 675.

I bet this find would eclipse that.

Jasper

I'd sell maybe one, keep six.  At least enough to share a drink whenever something great happens, for the rest of my life.

Disco Pickle

QuoteSunken treasure never tasted so good.

Divers earlier this week discovered about 30 bottles of centuries-old champagne in a shipwreck in the Baltic Sea. It is thought to be the world's oldest drinkable champagne.

The bubbly possibly dates back to the 1780s and is believed to be the top brand Veuve Clicquot.

It has remained perfectly preserved 180 feet deep on the seabed and "tasted fantastic," according to one wine expert.

Each bottle could be worth as much as $65,000 or more a piece if the authenticity can be verified. Samples have been sent to laboratories in France for testing.

A group of Swedish divers made the tasty find on July 6 off Aaland Island, midway between Sweden and Finland.

Aaland wine expert Ella Cromwell-Morgan tasted the find, which she described as dark golden in color with an intense aroma.

"I still have a glass in my fridge and keep going back every five minutes to take a breath of it," she said. "I have to pinch myself to believe it's real."

One going theory is that the bubbly was part of consignment sent by King Louis XVI to Peter the Great that never reached its destination.

"If it's really Louis XVI's wine," Cromwell-Morgan said, "it could fetch several million."

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann