News:

One day, I shall make the news feed. Then they'll see. Then they'll all see! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Main Menu

Acts of violence against PD

Started by Mangrove, January 20, 2011, 03:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

hm...
i think it's like i said about them not ever having been 'threatened' by the presence of black people that accounts for the subtlety in their racism.
or maybe i'm wrong...
:)

Phox

Quote from: Iptuous on January 22, 2011, 02:20:28 AM
hm...
i think it's like i said about them not ever having been 'threatened' by the presence of black people that accounts for the subtlety in their racism.
or maybe i'm wrong...
:)
Could be. Who knows?

BadBeast

The Japanese have never been subtle in their racism against, for example the Chinese, but like you said, it could be down to the lack of any historical or geographical threat. But I'm not trying to say that the Japanese aren't racist, they're human, so they are subject to similar cultural pressures as the rest of us. It's just that racism usually has a very particular stink about it, that is totally lacking here.  
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Faust

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 22, 2011, 01:04:10 AM
Quote from: Lies on January 21, 2011, 02:18:50 PM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on January 21, 2011, 12:53:07 PM
Quote from: Faust on January 21, 2011, 12:47:43 AM
Quote from: Mangrove on January 20, 2011, 06:02:46 PM
Quote from: Nigel on January 20, 2011, 08:21:10 AM
Jesus fucking christ, do people in Australia think that kind of shit is OK? Wow.

Seems that Australia is the last bastion of 'blackface' shows. [shudder]

No, Japan and China still love the blackface/gollywog stuff. Of its just the tip of the iceberg of a great many things in their culture that would be considered pretty offensive over here.
Yeah, that would explain this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfX8pOiuWFc
Mind Officially Blown.

Apart from musical taste, is this actually "wrong" or even racist, though?

If he's impersonating Louis Armstrong, painting his face is pretty much the same thing as an Elvis impersonator wearing a wig. He's not ridiculing black people, just a guy trying real hard to look like Armstrong.

It goes back to minstrel heritage. While that act may not have been a minstrel act, it damn well came off as one when they started doing the slapstick routine.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Slyph

Triple Zero

Quote from: Faust on January 22, 2011, 11:11:40 AM
It goes back to minstrel heritage. While that act may not have been a minstrel act, it damn well came off as one when they started doing the slapstick routine.

Ok that might change it a bit, I didn't watch it until the end, so I assumed he just kept singing and doing his impersonation.

I don't really want or care enough to subject myself to the entire thing, so I'll just let it remain in a superposition of quantum-racism.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.