News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

Music Instrument Innovations

Started by 3D3N, January 25, 2011, 03:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3D3N

So I have an assignment on live sound, and I'm researching the roles of Instrument Technician and Stage Manager. I'm ok as far as the job descriptions and what's required goes, but part of the assignment is researching innovations in the field. I'm focusing on guitar and synth, but there's alot of companies out there making new things, is there anyone who's had some experience of these and future tech and would like to share their opinions on the newer shit, or wouldn't mind directing me to models and such I may not have found?

Finding new innovations for Stage Manager is also a bit of a bitch since I've never been one before, anyone out there who's got experience? I came up with stuff like Ipads to make organisation easier, but I'm going in somewhat blind here.

Adios

LMNO

Those are two incredibly broad subjects.  I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for. Instrument Tech-- would that be the person who changes strings and pics up dropped mic stands, or actual instrument technology?  Innovations + Guitar/Synth + Live sound?  I don't even know where to start, because you haven't provide details.  And Stage Management?  Would that be pre-show, or while the band is playing the set?

3D3N

Sorry yeah the role of instrument technician as in the guy who maintains instruments for the band/artist as they tour, changes strings, repairs damages to instruments, maintains them, helps lug amps and shit around (but not like the roadie), but I do also want information about new guitars and synths, innovations. Like I'm just reading about the new ethernet digital guitar, after nothing really changing in 70 years. If I know about the newer technology I'm sure I can link it to how the role of the technician would change accordingly.

Stage manager both before and during the show? As far as I can discern the job consists of keeping the night running smoothly, making sure the bands/acts are on time and ready to play/perform, being responsible for health and safety, lighting, sound, e.t.c. But due to lack of direct experience Im not sure what innovations apart from say communications technology like Ipads would really help a stage manager out.

Thanks for the link to the odd instruments - some of those are pretty whack but I haven't been through all of them yet.

LMNO

How old do the "new" technologies have to be?

For a guitar tech, they have tuning pedals that can identify the pitch of all 6 strings at the same time.  I think I've also seen these gadgets that you put on the tuning peg, and it will tighten the string on it's own.  Other than that, it's not really going change much.

For synth tech: Flahsh drives.  Backups.  Moore's law.  iPad mixing.  Wireless. On-the-fly real-time sampling.  moving parts vs integrated circuits. 

For stage manager: Bluetooth.  WiFi.  Texting.  Multi-function multitasking smartphones (text, phone, email, web running simultaneously).

3D3N

Nice, cheers for those, guitar tech did seem to be pretty straightforward. This site I'm on right now is quite interesting:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.01/guitar.html?pg=2&topic=&topic_set=

Innovations in the last decade I suppose, although the more I can learn about the future ones the better.
Figures you could apply wireless to guitars too, although I'm not sure how you'd get around signal disruption and long range. And yeah, I saw something of the real-time sampling when I watched the Traktor getting demo'd, that shit is awesome.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

3D3N