News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

Americans spend too much to learn nothing, duh.

Started by Suu, January 25, 2011, 09:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

http://theweek.com/article/index/211202/are-college-students-learning-anything

QuoteIn a bombshell finding that's unnerving the staffs of America's universities, a new study concludes that 45 percent of college students made "no significant gains in learning" in their first two years on campus. While professors have become more focused on their research than teaching, students have become increasingly fixated on their social lives. In fact, the report (based on the book Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses) reveals that students are spending 50 percent less time studying than their 1970s and 1980s counterparts. How can colleges justify rising tuition costs?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

I should also point out that typically the 1st 2 years are 75% gen-ed requirements that can be no better than high school 2.0 classes. That doesn't help either.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Richter

Quote from: Suu on January 25, 2011, 09:32:20 PM
I should also point out that typically the 1st 2 years are 75% gen-ed requirements that can be no better than high school 2.0 classes. That doesn't help either.

THIS. 

Some were good background, and very useful in handling later courses, others were there basically to take up time and get you charged for extra credits. 

Then there was the spectacular "University 101".  Twice weekly meetings telling you how to suceed at college and mandatory communtiy service.  (If the college could boast so many student - hours of community service, then a local philanthropist would keep donating.)
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat