News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

Universe [Probably] 250+ Times Bigger Than What Is Observable

Started by Telarus, February 03, 2011, 05:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

http://news.slashdot.org/story/11/02/01/2015250/Universe-250-Times-Bigger-Than-What-Is-Observable

eldavojohn writes
Quote"The universe is only fourteen billion years old so we are unable to observe anything more than fourteen billion light years away. This makes it a bit difficult for us to measure how large the universe actually is. A number of methodologies have been devised to estimate the size of the universe including the universe's curvature, baryonic acoustic oscillations and the luminosity of distant type 1A supernovas. Now a team has combined all known methods into Bayesian model averaging to constrain the universe's size and their research is saying with confidence that the universe is at least 250 times larger than the observable universe."
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Telarus on February 03, 2011, 05:04:08 AM
http://news.slashdot.org/story/11/02/01/2015250/Universe-250-Times-Bigger-Than-What-Is-Observable

eldavojohn writes
Quote"The universe is only fourteen billion years old so we are unable to observe anything more than fourteen billion light years away. This makes it a bit difficult for us to measure how large the universe actually is. A number of methodologies have been devised to estimate the size of the universe including the universe's curvature, baryonic acoustic oscillations and the luminosity of distant type 1A supernovas. Now a team has combined all known methods into Bayesian model averaging to constrain the universe's size and their research is saying with confidence that the universe is at least 250 times larger than the observable universe."

22.5 trillion light years.... damn.

Edit for math fail.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Kurt Christ

IF you read the link with more info, it says that 250 times may be conservative, and that it seems possible/likely that the universe continues infinitely in all directions (curvature of the universe seems to be 0, which is not consistent with models of a closed, finite universe).
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

Cramulus

it's a little mind blowing to think that the big bang may only have been a very very small part of what's going on in the universe.

Adios

Tin foil time, but I never did believe we live in a finite universe.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 03, 2011, 03:26:46 PM

I always liked the idea of infinite amount of matter in an infinite amount of space. It's just that there's more infinite space than infinite matter, if that makes sense.

Adios

Astronomers have identified some 54 new planets where conditions may be suitable for life.

Five of the candidates are Earth-sized.

The announcement from the Kepler space telescope team brings the total number of exoplanet candidates they have identified to more than 1,200.

The data release also confirmed a unique sextet of planets around a single star and 170 further solar systems that include more than one planet circling far-flung stars.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12354390

We probably aren't alone either.

Sister Fracture

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 03, 2011, 03:35:09 PM
Astronomers have identified some 54 new planets where conditions may be suitable for life.

Five of the candidates are Earth-sized.

The announcement from the Kepler space telescope team brings the total number of exoplanet candidates they have identified to more than 1,200.

The data release also confirmed a unique sextet of planets around a single star and 170 further solar systems that include more than one planet circling far-flung stars.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12354390

We probably aren't alone either.

This is awesome.
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

Nephew Twiddleton

Keplar 11 is an interesting one. If it has an Earthlike planet in the habitable zone (none indicated so far, as far as I can tell), its age has given plenty of time for intelligent life to evolve. Too bad it's 2000 ly away.

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Blight on February 03, 2011, 04:01:05 PM
Keplar 11 is an interesting one. If it has an Earthlike planet in the habitable zone (none indicated so far, as far as I can tell), its age has given plenty of time for intelligent life to evolve. Too bad it's 2000 ly away.

Habitable to life and habitable to life as we know it may not be the same thing at all.

Luna

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 03, 2011, 04:09:00 PM

Habitable to life and habitable to life as we know it may not be the same thing at all.

This.

If we do discover life on another planet and they look like Star Trek aliens (humans with random bumps added to say "different!" I am going to be stunned.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 03, 2011, 04:09:00 PM

True, but as far as I can recall, either liquid water or liquid methane would be needed as a solvent, and water is more versatile. Most of these planets seem to be a lot of hydrogen and helium.

That said, it would be pretty cool to find a silicon based insect that drinks methane.

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Blight on February 03, 2011, 04:13:32 PM
That said, it would be pretty cool to find a silicon based insect that drinks methane.

Right before it plunged into your eyesocket and laid eggs in your brain.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on February 03, 2011, 04:15:05 PM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on February 03, 2011, 04:13:32 PM

Right before it plunged into your eyesocket and laid eggs in your brain.

:lulz:

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Blight on February 03, 2011, 03:28:55 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on February 03, 2011, 03:26:46 PM

I always liked the idea of infinite amount of matter in an infinite amount of space. It's just that there's more infinite space than infinite matter, if that makes sense.

Would the matter really be infinite?  I can grasp infinite space (I think), but it would seem to me that the matter in the universe must be finite.  Am I mistaken?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman