News:

PD.com: Taoism in a clown costume.

Main Menu

World food crisis

Started by Adios, February 04, 2011, 05:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

Quote from: Pickled Starfish on March 22, 2011, 07:12:22 PM
hate to burst your bubble but because people who attain education breed later and fewer children, that just means the less educated and intelligent are going to out breed the ones who do.  I think they did a movie about this that I couldn't sit through more than once.

Don't remind me.  Even remembering it makes my brain hurt.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cain

hate to burst your bubble but because people who attain education breed later and fewer children, that just means the less educated and intelligent are going to out breed the ones who do.

Oh, Idiocracy is now considered a documentary source, is it?

LMNO

Luna

Quote from: Cain on March 22, 2011, 07:30:07 PM
hate to burst your bubble but because people who attain education breed later and fewer children, that just means the less educated and intelligent are going to out breed the ones who do.

Nah, was a moronic movie.  On purpose.

However, it was (loosely) based on the fact that a woman's education level HAS been linked to her number of children.

QuoteA women's educational level is the best predictor of how many children she will have, according to a new study from the National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The study, based on an analysis of 1994 birth certificates, found a direct relationship between years of education and birth rates, with the highest birth rates among women with the lowest educational attainment.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/97facts/edu2birt.htm

It's an old study, but I don't see anything more recent with a quick look, at work so I don't have time to properly research.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cain

"in periods of rising birth rates, persons with higher intelligence tend to have fertility equal to, if not exceeding, that of the population as a whole."

Vining Drj (1982). "On the possibility of the reemergence of a dysgenic trend with respect to intelligence in American fertility differentials". Intelligence 6 (3): 241–64.

And, for those of you who haven't been paying attention, worldwide, birth rates are going down.  Maybe not fast enough to prevent total overpopulation.  Maybe not as fast as many would personally like.  But they are going down.

And whatta ya know, intelligence is a polygenic trait and the degree to which intelligence is inherited is hotly contested, with wildly varying answers given.  In fact, there is a very interesting study which suggests the lack of intelligence amongst lower social classes is far more to do with environment than genes, and given the right environmental opportunities many would have improved score results, whereas among higher social classes differences are almost entirely genetic in origin.

And that's before I even go into how flawed most testing for intelligence actually is...

Luna

Quote from: Cain on March 22, 2011, 07:45:09 PM
"in periods of rising birth rates, persons with higher intelligence tend to have fertility equal to, if not exceeding, that of the population as a whole."

Vining Drj (1982). "On the possibility of the reemergence of a dysgenic trend with respect to intelligence in American fertility differentials". Intelligence 6 (3): 241–64.

And, for those of you who haven't been paying attention, worldwide, birth rates are going down.  Maybe not fast enough to prevent total overpopulation.  Maybe not as fast as many would personally like.  But they are going down.

And whatta ya know, intelligence is a polygenic trait and the degree to which intelligence is inherited is hotly contested, with wildly varying answers given.  In fact, there is a very interesting study which suggests the lack of intelligence amongst lower social classes is far more to do with environment than genes, and given the right environmental opportunities many would have improved score results, whereas among higher social classes differences are almost entirely genetic in origin.

And that's before I even go into how flawed most testing for intelligence actually is...

Granted.  And, intelligence <> education.

Some of the brightest people I know didn't finish school because it bored them brainless.

Disco Pickle

didn't say it was.  dick.

but then, I suppose fictional stories containing concepts that have echos in the real world should never be used as examples when trying to illustrate a point without being able to immediately produce case studies to back that idea up.  NEVER. EVER.

something about art imitating life or something or other.  

I did laugh, but you just seem like you're being a dick because it's [EDIT] easier funnier than asking for data.

(which I completely support)

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Iptuous on March 22, 2011, 05:00:35 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 22, 2011, 04:42:49 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on March 22, 2011, 04:27:58 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 22, 2011, 04:21:01 PM
Um, regardless of a kind of retarded and childlike argument about what kind of food you like to eat, I am simply not seeing any benefit to there being more people on the planet. What's the point? Do we win a toaster if we outpopulate the chickens, rats, and cockroaches?
Is there anybody that actually wants the population to increase?
i mean i have heard of groups that want their population to increase (e.g. the quiverfull movement), but i've not heard anybody shouting that we need more people on the planet in general...

Then what the fuck is the debate about feeding all these retarded assholes?
i guess i missed something?  :?
i saw people arguing how to feed the people that are already here.
of course, that will just lead to an increase in population, but i didn't think that was anybody's aim.
if there were a way to feed everybody, while at the same time keeping the population flat or declining, then i think just about everybody would be on board.  except that, like Roger pointed out before, the only ways to do that would appear to be despicably evil...

GMO crops with birth control chemicals in them.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Nigel on March 22, 2011, 04:42:49 PM

Um, regardless of a kind of retarded and childlike argument about what kind of food you like to eat, I am simply not seeing any benefit to there being more people on the planet. What's the point?

Annoy TGRR?
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Pickled Starfish on March 22, 2011, 07:57:57 PM

but then, I suppose fictional stories containing concepts that have echos in the real world should never be used as examples when trying to illustrate a point without being able to immediately produce case studies to back that idea up.  NEVER. EVER.

I did laugh, but you just seem like you're being a dick because it's [EDIT] easier funnier than asking for data.

Historical evidence shows that when Tokyo is in trouble, it tends to be related to civil wars, being bombed by America, global economic crises, or a massive earthquake.  On the other hand, there are a lot of movies about giant monsters coming out of bumfuck nowhere and stomping on Tokyo.

According to your argument, which of these two sources of information should we be paying attention to?
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on March 22, 2011, 11:48:59 PM

Historical evidence shows that when Tokyo is in trouble, it tends to be related to civil wars, being bombed by America, global economic crises, or a massive earthquake.  On the other hand, there are a lot of movies about giant monsters coming out of bumfuck nowhere and stomping on Tokyo.

According to your argument, which of these two sources of information should we be paying attention to?

Godzilla was meant partly to serve as an allegory about nuclear weapons. 
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

East Coast Hustle

Owned by BH. that's gotta hurt.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

I suppose fictional stories containing concepts that have echos in the real world should never be used as examples when trying to illustrate a point without being able to immediately produce case studies to back that idea up.  NEVER. EVER.

I noticed that you completely missed Cain's citation that shows the concept that you believe "echos in the real world", actually doesn't. 

I also noticed you implied that Idiocracy is art.

So, you're misguided, ill-informed, and have bad taste.  Nice trifecta.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on March 23, 2011, 02:12:40 PM
I suppose fictional stories containing concepts that have echos in the real world should never be used as examples when trying to illustrate a point without being able to immediately produce case studies to back that idea up.  NEVER. EVER.

I noticed that you completely missed Cain's citation that shows the concept that you believe "echos in the real world", actually doesn't. 

I also noticed you implied that Idiocracy is art.

So, you're misguided, ill-informed, and have bad taste.  Nice trifecta.

admittedly, most of the information I've read on the subject is at least 10 years old.  The information is always changing, and what we once thought was true gets an update with new studies, but that doesn't mean it was never true. 

I implied film is art.  What you think of a particular example of that art is subjective.

anything else you want to be a prick about? 
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann