News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

Steel cut oats...

Started by Sir Squid Diddimus, February 04, 2011, 05:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Squid Diddimus

Are they worth the effort?
I like oatmeal but I hate the glumpy paste that instant oats turn into.

I hear that steel cut oats do not do this and that you can even make a big pot and store them in the fridge.

Now, if you put more water in the instant oats than is recommended it takes longer for them to turn to glue so that's what I do. I hear rolled oats cook quickly and you can even microwave them, but are they as good as steel cut?

THOUGHTS!

Jasper

I like them, but they are something of a pain to prepare compared to the luxury of rolled oats.  The steel cut oats I've had, you either have to boil them for like 30 minutes, or leave them soaking in the pot the night before to cook them quickly.

As for taste and nutrition though, top notch. :)

East Coast Hustle

Blech.

Oatmeal is only good for cookies.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on February 04, 2011, 06:47:57 PM
Blech.

I have to disagree. I actually like that weird stick and dirt flavor.

Salty

I've had steel cut oats that cooked in about 10 minutes and they are so worth it. They have a bite to them and the taste has more umph.

I like mine with peanut butter and banana MMMMMMmmmmm

Though I just found some really good instant oatmeal with flax, can't remember the name but will check the box and let you know. They're so much better than that Quaker shit.

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Oh no no no. I'm not using that fancy Quaker name brand stuff here folks.
I'm talkin TARGET brand oat packets, cinnamon flavored, 10 packs for $1.34.
That's how my oats roll round here.

But I think this weekend I may try the steel cut, to see how much of a pain it is.

Eater of Clowns

I use rolled oats and they're infinitely variable.  It takes probably 10-15 minutes to cook them, and I'm usually doing a bunch of other stuff at the same time.  They can go bad, though, so freeze or refrigerate them.

Steel cut is good as well; they seem to be less creamy and a bit more stiff.

I usually cook them with butter and honey (my dad's stuff, which you have, which you now must use in oatmeal).  Toss in whatever fruit is laying around - cranberry season was good because a handful of them would burst as they cook just like cranberry sauce, mmm.  Nuts - fuck yeah.

I buy like a pound of them for $2.19 at the glorious ocean state job lot.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH8tEw938RM

Alton Brown will give you the Troof on Oats. ;-)

I like steel cut oats.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Dysfunctional Cunt

I like steel cut oats.  I cook them in my rice cooker and they are wonderful.  Just add your oats, water, butter and a pinch of salt the night before and set your timer. 

East Coast Hustle

[pet peeve]

ALTON BROWN IS NOT A CHEF.

[/pet peeve]

ETA: but he's right, oats are glorified horse food.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on February 04, 2011, 09:43:58 PM
[pet peeve]

[/pet peeve]

I see you hate the cooked oats ECH, so, what is your hot, healthy breakfast cereal alternative? 

Because while I like the steel cut oats in comparison to rolled or instant, I will admit they are not my favorite breakfast, but damn they fill up teenagers cheaply and are good for you so what can I do instead?

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on February 04, 2011, 06:52:01 PM
Quote from: Rip City Hustle on February 04, 2011, 06:47:57 PM
Blech.

I have to disagree. I actually like that weird stick and dirt flavor.
I also have to disagree.

I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

East Coast Hustle

If you have to make your beer taste like oatmeal and chocolate, it's probably shitty beer.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Khara on February 04, 2011, 09:49:57 PM
Quote from: Rip City Hustle on February 04, 2011, 09:43:58 PM
[pet peeve]

[/pet peeve]

I see you hate the cooked oats ECH, so, what is your hot, healthy breakfast cereal alternative? 

Because while I like the steel cut oats in comparison to rolled or instant, I will admit they are not my favorite breakfast, but damn they fill up teenagers cheaply and are good for you so what can I do instead?

Beer.

ECH,
only eats breakfast at the tail-end of an allnighter

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on February 05, 2011, 02:49:21 AM
If you have to make your beer taste like oatmeal and chocolate, it's probably shitty beer.

Disagree again :/