News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

A Voice from the Basement, part II of V.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, February 08, 2011, 04:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

So the plant lost its main power bus today.

Tribal lore says the main plant switching box is so old and decrepit that it isn't to be touched, ever.  It does in fact look awful...Corroded as hell, with about 30 years worth of failed rust inhibitor all over it (the geniuses that built this place located it in the worst of the acid atmosphere.

But, you know, the plant is down.  So the boss calls down from on high, and says, "Remember to leave that disconnect panel alone".

We trace the problem directly to that panel.

I have the guys suit up, and we ever-so-carefully take the panel faces off...And it's a blown fuse.  What's more, there's nothing wrong with the disconnect boxes.  Nothing.  These guys have been living in fear for at least 8 years, and there's nothing at all wrong with it.  It isn't new, but everything inside is perfectly functional.

So now the plant has power, my boss is happy (success outweighs obedience, here), and we learned something.

And all of you bastards need to learn something, too.  You know those guys in the basement?  The crude, misanthropic bastards who walk around in Dickey shirts with tools stuffed in their pockets?  The ones who keep everything running?

Leave us alone.  It's our basement, not yours.  You just take care of whatever it is you Eloi deal with, and you leave us Morlocks to handle things down here.  Leave us be, and the lights stay on, and water comes out of the tap when you want it.  Fuck with our game, and we'll come up at night and eat you.

Or Kill Me.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Adios

LMNO

I like the parallel how the people who use the device, but don't understand it, eventually come to fetishize and worship the device as some sort of holy magical relic that must not be defiled.

But the people who understand it simply see another fuse box.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on February 08, 2011, 05:15:26 PM
I like the parallel how the people who use the device, but don't understand it, eventually come to fetishize and worship the device as some sort of holy magical relic that must not be defiled.

Eloi/Morlocks.

Likewise, we don't understand their fascination with building castles out of paperwork1.

1  We understand paperwork that's useful (maintenance tracking, parts requistions, etc).  We just don't understand all the ISO weirdness.  If the forms are in the computer, why do I have to print them out, scan them, and store them in the computer (not kidding)?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Requia ☣

ISO is efficient Roger, you want to be efficient don't you?

I seriously wonder if anybody really thinks ISO 9000 is worth anything, or if they all just do it because its expected of them by business partners.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 08, 2011, 05:43:42 PM
ISO is efficient Roger, you want to be efficient don't you?

I seriously wonder if anybody really thinks ISO 9000 is worth anything, or if they all just do it because its expected of them by business partners.

Just one more thing to blame the Dutch for.

Bastards.

Dysfunctional Cunt

I like this.  

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 08, 2011, 05:18:47 PM
Likewise, we don't understand their fascination with building castles out of paperwork1.

1  We understand paperwork that's useful (maintenance tracking, parts requistions, etc).  We just don't understand all the ISO weirdness.  If the forms are in the computer, why do I have to print them out, scan them, and store them in the computer (not kidding)?

This shit drives me insane.  I swear this office kills at least 5 trees a day...  and we still have to have 2 paper copies and a computer backup!!

Phox

Don Coyote

I like this, and I wish more of Them would leave those of Us the fuck along and let Us do Our job so The Shit Gets Done.

Eloi/Morlocks.

RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dean

Quote from: Canis latrans eques on February 09, 2011, 01:56:21 AM
I like this, and I wish more of Them would leave those of Us the fuck along and let Us do Our job so The Shit Gets Done.

Eloi/Morlocks.

RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BROOKLYN RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richter

Dad, while showing me how to do basic upkeep on a diesel tractor engine:  "If we take off this cover, behind the impellor for the water pump, can see the pin that connects it to the other dingus [sic] in the engine.  It's a pain to get this pin back into place, so you give it more grease whenever you're opening up the thing, you never remove it."

Richter: "Gotcha, leave it in."

Dad: "Most of the time.  Let's take a look at it."  ::yanks it clean out::  "No rust or dings on it, good.  Here, you put it back."

Richter: ::sigh:: "Ok, pass me that screwdriver..."

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Luna

Quote from: Richter on February 09, 2011, 05:07:48 PM
Dad, while showing me how to do basic upkeep on a diesel tractor engine:  "If we take off this cover, behind the impellor for the water pump, can see the pin that connects it to the other dingus [sic] in the engine.  It's a pain to get this pin back into place, so you give it more grease whenever you're opening up the thing, you never remove it."

Richter: "Gotcha, leave it in."

Dad: "Most of the time.  Let's take a look at it."  ::yanks it clean out::  "No rust or dings on it, good.  Here, you put it back."

Richter: ::sigh:: "Ok, pass me that screwdriver..."

:lulz:
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

navkat

I think the better lesson here is: just because someone says there are angels on the roof and demons in the basement, dun' make it true.

If common sense says push the big, red button, go 'head and let 'er rip.
Open the box and see what's inside.

Think for yourself, schmuck.

Jenne

...heh.  I wonder if the "sacred box of Doom" looks so awful because it's not treated like the tool it is but instead like some magical but curmugeonly orifice.  Instead of a simple mechanism through which you can bring power to the plant.

And yeah, the guys who usually bring us down to earth about such things are the ones who work with their hands, think with their heads, and keep superstition down to a minimum.

navkat

Quote from: Jenne on February 10, 2011, 05:03:02 PM

And yeah, the guys who usually bring us down to earth about such things are the ones who work with their hands, think with their heads, and keep superstition down to a minimum.

Nicely put.