News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

Unlimited Obama Appreciation Thread.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, February 13, 2011, 03:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 14, 2011, 03:22:40 PM
Quote from: Cain on February 14, 2011, 03:20:52 PM
What jobs are any morons going to create in America anyway?  It's not like there is a skilled workforce worth a crap there anymore -

The last Toyota plant went to Brantford, Ontario...Because the higher taxes are cheaper than paying for health insurance, and because the last time they built a plant here, they had to train the workforce with pictograms.

:x

I'm pretty sure the same would happen over here, as well, since all the same problems apply.  Which is why I have spent the last week deriding and mocking anyone stupid enough to believe that David Cameron is going to revitalize British finances through the power of heavy industry.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Aaaaaand I will say it again....

America, we're fucked!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Khara on February 14, 2011, 03:30:34 PM
Aaaaaand I will say it again....

America, we're fucked!

It's not just America and England.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Adios

You're all going to miss us Boomers and our know how.

Dysfunctional Cunt

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 14, 2011, 03:32:49 PM

Already feeling it.  Most of my crew are boomers, and they're all getting ready to retire.  It's taken me THREE YEARS to find 4 young guys that know their shit.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 14, 2011, 03:40:06 PM

Already feeling it.  Most of my crew are boomers, and they're all getting ready to retire.  It's taken me THREE YEARS to find 4 young guys that know their shit.

I blame video games and the internet. Seriously.

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 14, 2011, 03:22:40 PM
Quote from: Cain on February 14, 2011, 03:20:52 PM
What jobs are any morons going to create in America anyway?  It's not like there is a skilled workforce worth a crap there anymore -

The last Toyota plant went to Brantford, Ontario...Because the higher taxes are cheaper than paying for health insurance, and because the last time they built a plant here, they had to train the workforce with pictograms.

I'd ask if you were joking about the pictograms... but I'm not even going to look it up.  I'm sure you're right.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 14, 2011, 03:48:06 PM

Can't have been education, surely.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

I don't really think its education, video games, or the internet.  I think those are all symptoms.  I think it's a cultural shift in expectations which in turn affects motivation.  But, I think there are plenty young people who ARE properly motivated to learn and to become productive workers.  But they are looking for their opportunities in different sectors compared to when the boomers were young.  I think young people are looking more to white collar opportunities compared to when my folks grew up and just assumed they would be doing blue collar jobs for the bulk of their career. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Hogwash.  I blame 30+ years of kids being told how "special" they are, of useless MBAs being idolized, of people being told that if they can't be multi-millionaires then they shouldn't bother at all.  I blame the cult of money for nothing that has instructed people that being blue collar is a shame and a disgrace.

I blame the unions for making themselves too exclusive (if you don't know someone, you aren't getting an apprenticeship), I blame CEOs for moving the jobs overseas, and mostly I blame the public, for demanding ridiculous returns on their investments, that can ONLY be achieved using slave labor.

That same public, incidentally, also opposes property taxes for schools, and title I funding.

Our own hubris and greed has dug this hole for us, not videogames.

But why worry?  We're building another aircraft carrier, so we can continue to have the trappings of empire while we rot right down to the core.

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 14, 2011, 04:43:33 PM

Hogwash.  I blame 30+ years of kids being told how "special" they are, of useless MBAs being idolized, of people being told that if they can't be multi-millionaires then they shouldn't bother at all.  I blame the cult of money for nothing that has instructed people that being blue collar is a shame and a disgrace.

I blame the unions for making themselves too exclusive (if you don't know someone, you aren't getting an apprenticeship), I blame CEOs for moving the jobs overseas, and mostly I blame the public, for demanding ridiculous returns on their investments, that can ONLY be achieved using slave labor.

That same public, incidentally, also opposes property taxes for schools, and title I funding.

Our own hubris and greed has dug this hole for us, not videogames.

But why worry?  We're building another aircraft carrier, so we can continue to have the trappings of empire while we rot right down to the core.

I agree "Blue Collar" is now a dirty word. I still think a giant lack of imagination has infested us from video games and mindless LOL and OMG on the internet. My daughter-in-law just got back from Lithuania last night. She was teaching them how to do her job, which is moving there. She works in the financial industry, of all places.

Yes greed has played a large roll. 10 mechanics can keep 100 robotic arms working, the arms that replaces 100 people on a production line. The Unions certainly had a hand in this, as well as the employees for thinking the cup was bottomless.

Captain Utopia

Don't blame the robots... all the stats I look at show a MASSIVE decline in industrial fatalities over time.  How much of this is due to compliance and regulation, I have no clue, but the less squishy meatbags you have in direct contact with heavy/poisonous/pointy things, the better.

Greed may have caused it, but the results are not altogether terrible.  That is, if you prefer to be unemployed than dead.

Youth may or may not be more superficial than before.  But they are also getting involved in global concepts and events in an unprecedented scale.  I'm happy with that trade-off.

Adios

Quote from: Captain Utopia on February 14, 2011, 05:24:35 PM
Don't blame the robots... all the stats I look at show a MASSIVE decline in industrial fatalities over time.  How much of this is due to compliance and regulation, I have no clue, but the less squishy meatbags you have in direct contact with heavy/poisonous/pointy things, the better.

Greed may have caused it, but the results are not altogether terrible.  That is, if you prefer to be unemployed than dead.

Youth may or may not be more superficial than before.  But they are also getting involved in global concepts and events in an unprecedented scale.  I'm happy with that trade-off.

That will not put food on your table.

Captain Utopia

Doesn't that depend on where, in the world, your table is located?