News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Pathfinder vs 3.5

Started by Don Coyote, February 15, 2011, 02:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Pros and cons?
How much cross over can I get from 3.5 sources to pathfinder if I were inclined to get it?

I ask this because there is a strong strong possibility that my new friends (not the whiny spags that can't hack anything), will be up for a weekly RPG session.

Sister Fracture

You can pretty much do and have the same things as 3.5, you just have to do a slight recalculation is all.
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North Endâ„¢

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

Requia ☣

Pathfinder has pretty much all the core stuff from D&D except what Wizards is claiming is their super special intellectual property (IE, the things that are fan submissions), and psionics.  Anything from 3.5 can be converted pretty easy as well (except psionics).
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 15, 2011, 03:01:36 AM
Pathfinder has pretty much all the core stuff from D&D except what Wizards is claiming is their super special intellectual property (IE, the things that are fan submissions), and psionics.  Anything from 3.5 can be converted pretty easy as well (except psionics).

Psionics suck anyway.  They always have, right from the beginning.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Requia ☣

I've been meaning to try my hand at them actually.  No reason not to start over since Paizo isn't going to touch it, and the 'professionals' in the third party business that did it are letting a guy who calls himself Soulwolf write for them.

Sister Fracture

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 15, 2011, 03:24:58 AM
I've been meaning to try my hand at them actually.  No reason not to start over since Paizo isn't going to touch it, and the 'professionals' in the third party business that did it are letting a guy who calls himself Soulwolf write for them.

Odds he is a douchebag: 1:1
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North Endâ„¢

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Sister Fracture on February 15, 2011, 03:30:25 AM

Publishing game materials under a pagany pseudonym....that calls for some kind of pain to be inflicted.

Is it worth getting the actual core book or is the PRD good enough?

The Good Reverend Roger

Road trip.

Brass knuckles.

Flammable booze.

Now.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Canis latrans eques on February 15, 2011, 03:32:17 AM

Publishing game materials under a pagany pseudonym....that calls for some kind of pain to be inflicted.

Book and Bestiary.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Canis latrans eques on February 15, 2011, 03:32:17 AM

You need at least one physical book for the game table (unless you want to pass around your laptop), I'd say you need the same for the bestiary(s) as a DM, unless you are extremely meticulous about notes.

I don't think he actually publishes under that name, but I was involved in the beta testing briefly, and that's what he uses on the forum.

Icey

I was just thinking about this the other day... odd.

Don Coyote

Is there a noticable difference in powerlevel between pathfinder and 3.5 classes, in other words if I were to use 3.5/OGL monsters would I have to buff them up to a noticable degree?

Requia ☣

Depends on the class.  In general it's going to be worth running the numbers, but I've done some 3.5 monsters that the party barely survived despite it being CR+1 (admittedly, it was a trio of Paizo monsters, but still from the 3.5 days).

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Canis latrans eques on February 16, 2011, 05:41:21 PM
Is there a noticable difference in powerlevel between pathfinder and 3.5 classes, in other words if I were to use 3.5/OGL monsters would I have to buff them up to a noticable degree?

The standard rule is to drop the CR of 3.5 creatures by 1, or re-write them using the back of the bestiary.  Pathfinder characters are about 20% more powerful than 3.5 characters.

Don Coyote

So how is using Chaositech working out with PF? Looking for more weird shit that shouldn't even exist for my campaign.