Main Menu

OkCupid: A Guy's Perspective

Started by saturnine, March 03, 2011, 08:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on March 04, 2011, 04:37:20 PM
Quote from: Richter on March 04, 2011, 04:34:27 PM
Lechter is the new Beiber.

You are now imagining Tony Hopkins singing "Baby, Baby, Baby".

Fuck.  I am.  You're paying for my therapy.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Richter

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2011, 04:36:41 PM
Quote from: Richter on March 04, 2011, 04:32:49 PM
Staying out of that shit.  

Can't blame you.  I've had more than one friend come on here and gloriously faceplant.  Some have recovered, some lacked the intestinal fortitude.

Yeah, Nomad was one other.  Met him via Cram duirng the first Meatup, then again LARPing and etc.  Loads of fun, but doesn't translate well into the local flavor of text.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on March 04, 2011, 04:39:43 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD on March 04, 2011, 04:37:20 PM
Quote from: Richter on March 04, 2011, 04:34:27 PM
Lechter is the new Beiber.

You are now imagining Tony Hopkins singing "Baby, Baby, Baby".

Fuck.  I am.  You're paying for my therapy.

I will not youtube this on a train
I will not youtube this in a plane
I will not youtube it anywhere
I do not like Beiber on any program
Go to hell, Sam I Am.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Richter

Quote from: Luna on March 04, 2011, 04:38:29 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2011, 04:37:38 PM
Quote from: Luna on March 04, 2011, 04:36:32 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2011, 04:30:23 PM

So I'm okay wearing the neighbor's flayed face?

Well, that's a relief.  It takes forever to make those things, and they tear every time you try to take them off.

Hardly needed, Roger, you're pretty enough without one.

I AM A BEAUTIFUL FAIRY PRINCESS, AND I CAN WEAR THE NEIGHBOR'S FACE IF I WANNA.

Never said you couldn't, said you didn't NEED to.

Me, I've seen my neighbors, I wouldn't wear their faces on a dare.

Placemats?

..and can I have teh skulls?  I've got a jewish buddy who deserves a totally METAL yamakurle.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Luna

Quote from: Richter on March 04, 2011, 04:46:37 PM
Quote from: Luna on March 04, 2011, 04:38:29 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2011, 04:37:38 PM
Quote from: Luna on March 04, 2011, 04:36:32 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2011, 04:30:23 PM

So I'm okay wearing the neighbor's flayed face?

Well, that's a relief.  It takes forever to make those things, and they tear every time you try to take them off.

Hardly needed, Roger, you're pretty enough without one.

I AM A BEAUTIFUL FAIRY PRINCESS, AND I CAN WEAR THE NEIGHBOR'S FACE IF I WANNA.

Never said you couldn't, said you didn't NEED to.

Me, I've seen my neighbors, I wouldn't wear their faces on a dare.

Placemats?

..and can I have teh skulls?  I've got a jewish buddy who deserves a totally METAL yamakurle.

I'd have to look at placemats whenever I moved the plates.

Next time I murder a neighbor, you can haz all the bones.  Just surprise me with something awesome out of some of 'em.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2011, 04:23:37 PM
Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 04, 2011, 04:18:35 PM
I take it that means that he's ugly as sin. :lulz:

Doesn't really matter, though.  I look like someone shoved me through a mud fence, and I've never had any trouble.  If you go in railing about how women have all the wrong values, then you're essentially being the dating world's version of the Chicago Bears...Beaten - by yourself - before you even start.

True dat. I'm ugly as sin, but it's the right kind of ugly.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Lies

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 04, 2011, 05:01:38 PM

Doesn't really matter, though.  I look like someone shoved me through a mud fence, and I've never had any trouble.  If you go in railing about how women have all the wrong values, then you're essentially being the dating world's version of the Chicago Bears...Beaten - by yourself - before you even start.

Like, Ron Jeremy right kind of ugly?
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Phox

Quote from: Richter on March 04, 2011, 04:46:37 PM
Haha. Skullcap.

Kai

Quote from: saturnine on March 04, 2011, 02:34:09 AM
Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on March 04, 2011, 12:30:03 AM
Heres an observation from my end:

At one point, I had quite a few straight guys messaging me on there. Now, I don't really fool around with straight guys because frankly they're just trying to get a secret safe gay fix and I'm not into that. That, however, wouldn't have stopped me if there was a nice well mannered attractive "straight" guy who messaged me and started talking with me. Of course, such a guy wouldn't actually be straight (probably), just so in his profile.

However, all the "straight" guys messaging me for for their safe gay fix got old really fast, so I put a note on my profile saying that I wasn't interested.

That's exactly the reason I'm into poly -- it's about keeping everything above board. It's also why I won't sign up for a site like ambermadison.com. Cheating and the closet and all that stuff is just baggage that's better off not factoring into a relationship.

I think being INTO "poly" is missing the point. Either people are wired that way, or aren't. Relationships aren't "poly". You just sound like a slut. Not that there's anything wrong with that, rather, you just seem to be saying you're morally above all those other people.

The conclusion I've come to is that people I would NOT like to fuck of any sex, gender or orientation are abundant regardless of where I look.

Well, yeah. You don't mention your gender anywhere (although I seem to remember talking to you about it a couple years ago when I was more active?), but I'm assuming you're male. Anyway, yeah, it's tougher to find people who "fit" when you're queer, and it only gets slimmer the more identity stakes you add to the equation. So I think at some point mainstream dating venues become useless. Me on OkC may be the online equivalent of a gay dude trying to score in a straight bar.

No, I don't mention it. If it makes you feel better assume away. But more importantly, it's your last statement that spells out the point. You are "trying to score". Have you considered that the majority of people out there just trying to score don't care anything about how sensitive and intelligent you are? In my experience, when people just want casual sex it's all about a few variables. If you're really just looking for casual sex, maybe you should change your methods and persona?

I recognize that and don't go messaging every "hottie" I see out of desperation, which is what it seems YOU do.

I think it's hilarious how many things people are assuming based on the things I haven't explicitly stated. On average, I message one user every one to two months.

I only worked under the word you used. Which, by the way, always ends up objectifying the subject. My bad if on the planet you're from things are different.

I knew you were just whining when you used the word "hottie", indicating just how shallow your intentions were. ALL THE HOTTIES WON'T TALK TO ME!!!

Don't gimme that crap. One of the advantages of online dating is that you can select for physical attractiveness first and foremost. I see that as a good thing. And I see nothing wrong with calling "someone" a "hottie" when that "someone" is, in fact, just an online profile. If they write back, THEN it's absolutely time for something a little less objectifying.

See above. No one is interested in being an object except the BDSM crowd. And the people who write those profiles are people, lest you forget that tautology.

Hey, I'd talk to you. Under the contract that you wouldn't act like a mysogynist. And quit whining.

Rad! But, uh, misogynist? I typically think of myself as pretty down for sex/gender equality.

Okay, I'll bite. If you're such a studly bi dude into gender equality, why the hell wasn't your op addressing men as well? Why just women?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Strategy doesn't work ------> change strategy----->try new strategy-----> repeat as necessary.

Strategy doesn't work ------> complain------> fuck your sock, because that's all you're getting.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

saturnine

Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on March 04, 2011, 11:53:18 PM
Okay, I'll bite. If you're such a studly bi dude into gender equality, why the hell wasn't your op addressing men as well? Why just women?

Because the dynamic I mentioned in the O.P. is all but nonexistent in male-male online dating.

I'm sick of playing whack-a-mole and addressing the thousand concerns and misrepresentations that have emerged in this thread. So I'm throwing the towel in on this one. Thanks for the help everyone. Goodnight.
Jesus. I leave for like a year and a half, and when I come back, it's like everything's different. What the fuck is this board -- ACTIVE or somethin'?
I'm a green Discordian. I don't eat the bun OR the hot dog.
Click here to read "All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace" by Richard Brautigan

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: saturnine on March 05, 2011, 12:21:39 AM

Because the dynamic I mentioned in the O.P. is all but nonexistent in male-male online dating.

I'm sick of playing whack-a-mole and addressing the thousand concerns and misrepresentations that have emerged in this thread. So I'm throwing the towel in on this one. Thanks for the help everyone. Goodnight.

There is one thing I think you don't know about OKC.

Sister Fracture

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 05, 2011, 12:33:00 AM

Well, he probably won't be coming back, but I want to know.
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Lies on March 04, 2011, 07:40:59 PM
Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 04, 2011, 05:01:38 PM

Like, Ron Jeremy right kind of ugly?

more like "well, he's obviously had an interesting life so far" kind of ugly.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Sister Fracture on March 05, 2011, 02:45:51 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 05, 2011, 12:33:00 AM

Well, he probably won't be coming back, but I want to know.

Dammit, Fracture, our abrasive awfulness has chased off another quality contributor.