News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

UNLIMITED GOP 2012 PRIMARY CANDIDATE THREAD

Started by LMNO, March 03, 2011, 02:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Lenin McCarthy on May 16, 2011, 06:28:57 PM
Why has nobody mentioned Gary Johnson? He's an interesting one.

Most likely because we don't know who he is.

But thanks for the interesting link and observations on his platform, very informative!

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on May 16, 2011, 06:35:13 PM

But thanks for the interesting link and observations on his platform, very informative!

He's the Republitard from New Mexico that wants to legalize pott and get rid of all taxes.   :?

Cain

Gary Johnson is the Ron Paul candidate for people who hate Ron Paul.

Lenin McCarthy

Oh, sorry I forgot that. Cain summed it up pretty well.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on May 16, 2011, 06:49:16 PM

Then I hate him, too.

Fucking libertarians.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Khara on May 16, 2011, 06:46:12 PM

He's the Republitard from New Mexico that wants to legalize pott and get rid of all taxes.   :?

Good one.  If we're all stoned, we won't need roads.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

In "Holy Fuck I didn't see THAT coming?" news...Trump is officially not running.  Oh yeah, NBC also announced that Celebrity Apprentice will be on the Fall lineup.  And pigs are still earth-bound and the cows have still not managed to figure out how to use a GPS. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Freeky

Quote from: R.W.H.N. on May 16, 2011, 07:30:27 PM
In "Holy Fuck I didn't see THAT coming?" news...Trump is officially not running.  Oh yeah, NBC also announced that Celebrity Apprentice will be on the Fall lineup.  And pigs are still earth-bound and the cows have still not managed to figure out how to use a GPS. 

-snerk- -snerk- -snerk-

Jenne

:lulz:  GOOD ONE TRUMP.  Asswipe.  He shoulda stayed in it longer!

I totally woulda loved a Trump/Bachman ticket!

Cain

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 16, 2011, 06:59:10 PM
Quote from: Cain on May 16, 2011, 06:49:16 PM

Then I hate him, too.

Fucking libertarians.

Daniel Larison, my other non-insane source for Republican internal politics, writes:

QuoteAs I've said before, it will help promote libertarian and antiwar right causes to have two candidates in the race instead of just one, but having two candidates running at the same time will just as often reduce the impact of a candidate espousing these views as it will bring greater attention to them. Neither one will win as many delegates with both of them in the race as one would win on his own, and contrary to emerging conventional wisdom Paul has the greater ability to win support among Republican primary voters. Because I don't expect Johnson to have a serious chance at the nomination, I would be somewhat willing to overlook his socially liberal and pro-immigration views so long as he made criticizing authoritarian and interventionist policies the focus of his candidacy. I don't think I am very representative of antiwar conservatives on that point. It goes without saying that those other views that Johnson holds makes him significantly less competitive in a Republican primary field than Paul. While I might be willing to give Johnson a pass, large numbers of conservative Ron Paul supporters would never have given Johnson's candidacy a second thought if he were the only one running. If Paul is also in the race, it's safe to say that none of us would consider supporting him.

There remains the danger that dueling Paul and Johnson campaigns will bring out the fratricidal element among their respective supporters. Given the genuinely shabby way that many currently pro-Johnson libertarians treated Paul in 2008, I'm not sure that this will be easily avoided. As it happens, I agree with Justin Raimondo's criticisms of some of Johnson's foreign policy positions, and he is probably right that Johnson is running to be the candidate for libertarians who don't want to be identified with Ron Paul. These include people who went out of their way to undermine Paul during the '08 campaign. One thing that may make such a feud less likely is Johnson's relationship with Paul. To his credit, Johnson was Paul's supporter throughout the campaign, and when talk of Johnson's candidacy started Paul still seemed to be very well-disposed towards Johnson. If both feel compelled to run, I would rather that their supporters spend their time and energy helping both of them against the rest of the field.

One of the reasons that Johnson has given underwhelming or disconcerting answers on some subjects is that he doesn't seem to have given them as much thought as I would like. When Johnson made his statement about supporting military intervention to prevent a "clear genocide," it was clear that he hadn't squared this with his call to slash military spending drastically, nor had he thought about the virtual inevitability of "nation-building" that would follow such an intervention. If he doesn't will the means, and refuses to accept the responsibilities that go along with intervention, my hope is that he doesn't really favor such interventions. That said, pleading ignorance is not a very good excuse for an incoherent policy view. In fact, such ignorance ought to be disqualifying.

On Libya, Johnson's reaction was mostly encouraging, but it wasn't as forceful or as principled as it should have been. Johnson ends up in the right place, which is something, but in light of Johnson's own comments about humanitarian intervention it isn't nearly enough. Johnson has previously opened the door to launching a war of choice in which no American interest is at stake, and he has done so by making a misguided and absurd claim that this is "what we have always been about," which isn't significantly different from the insipid notion that the U.S. has to meddle in other nations' internal affairs because "America is different."

Honestly, Daniels seems like the least insane Republican thus far, but that may be simply because he is playing the Obama game and trying to avoid being pinned down to anything, while making noble sounding commentary.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Donald Trump will never really run for one simple reason..... 

All those pesky questions and investigations into his personal and business financial records.  :wink:

I mean we all have a good idea how he made all that money, especially after his bankruptcy (errr is bankruptcies a word?) in 1990, 2004, 2009.....  of course those were seperate businesses.... right?

But in better news for him, they picked up "the Apprentice" for another season.

Cain

Quote from: Khara on May 17, 2011, 02:44:55 PM
All those pesky questions and investigations into his personal and business financial records.  :wink:

Hah, hardly.  Bush II had equally dodgy records, and an abysmal business record as well.  Hell, he only really got his first success after the Bin Laden family started investing in him.  And "honourable" John McCain was up to his neck in the Keating Five Scandal.  Basically, corruption, financial crime, failure and dubious partners are all fine because IOKIYAR (its OK if you're a Republican).

I suspect the real reason is that Trump tied his banner too tight to Birtherism which has, to my surprise, collapsed in popularity since Obama released the long-form birth certificate.  Meaning Trump's chances have collapsed along with it.  Only those with more entrenched bases of support are capable of pulling through to the nomination, and Trump is not one of them.

Jenne

...so while Newt Gee was signing books and refusing to answer key questions about his wife's debts to Tiffany's, someone had demonstrable dedication to Sparkle Motion:

FEEL THE RAINBOW, NEWT!

:lulz:

Luna

According to the radio this morning, he apparently owes Tiffany's a half million bucks in overdue bills.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."