News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

UNLIMITED GOP 2012 PRIMARY CANDIDATE THREAD

Started by LMNO, March 03, 2011, 02:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Bachmann uses Tom Petty song during campaign events.

Tom Petty says hell no and tells the campaign to cease and desist.

http://scoop.today.com/_news/2011/06/28/6966247-tom-petty-tells-bachmann-not-to-use-american-girl

So what, Bachmann couldn't find a decent contemporary American-flag waving pop-country tune to use like the rest of the Republicans? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Thurnez Isa

I'm praying her next choice is A kLoKwErK kAoS
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Doktor Howl

Quote from: R.W.H.N. on June 28, 2011, 08:35:39 PM
Bachmann uses Tom Petty song during campaign events.

Tom Petty says hell no and tells the campaign to cease and desist.

http://scoop.today.com/_news/2011/06/28/6966247-tom-petty-tells-bachmann-not-to-use-american-girl

So what, Bachmann couldn't find a decent contemporary American-flag waving pop-country tune to use like the rest of the Republicans? 

Same thing happened when Palin tried to use Heart's Barracuda.
Molon Lube

AFK

And Petty again when Bush wanted to use "Won't Back Down" in his 2000 campaign.  But he did okay Hillary Clinton using "American Girl".  Apparently the politicians really like using Petty tunes. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Thurnez Isa

It's because their all stoned.

Tell me that doesn't make perfect sense
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Cramulus

Precious Moments Zalgo

Also happened when Mike Huckabee tried to use Boston's "More Than a Feeling".
Rolling Stone story contains open letter from the band to Huckabee, worth a read if you haven't seen it before.

That seems kind of dumb to just start using a pop song in your campaign without first making sure it's OK with the artist.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Luna

Quote from: Pastor Miskatonic Zappathruster on June 28, 2011, 10:32:30 PM
Also happened when Mike Huckabee tried to use Boston's "More Than a Feeling".
Rolling Stone story contains open letter from the band to Huckabee, worth a read if you haven't seen it before.

That seems kind of dumb to just start using a pop song in your campaign without first making sure it's OK with the artist.

Particularly after more than one band kicked up a stink about it last election... including Petty.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Jenne

You'd think there'd be a protocol in place for campaign committees to use--some sort of legal "may we use" document to file and get permission from the artists, etc.

Dumbasses.

Cramulus

Here's some real winner quotes from Bachmann:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-ultimate-collection-of-stupid-michele-bachmann

HOW DID THIS WOMAN GET ELECTED IN THE FIRST PLACE?
I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS HERE

Luna

Quote from: Cramulus on June 29, 2011, 11:31:10 PM

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-ultimate-collection-of-stupid-michele-bachmann

You can not take the crazy pills.  Bachmann took them all, already... except for the ones she put in the water around election time.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Freeky

This...

This is beautiful.  I'm bookmarking this site, and I'm going to show it to everyone I know.

LMNO

Quote from: Jenne on June 29, 2011, 05:17:45 PM
You'd think there'd be a protocol in place for campaign committees to use--some sort of legal "may we use" document to file and get permission from the artists, etc.

Dumbasses.

They do. It's called ASCAP. Playing a song at a public event is covered by a blanket license, and not subject to artist's approval. Petty, et al, can bitch and moan, but they can't take legal action.

Luna

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on June 30, 2011, 12:05:40 AM
Quote from: Jenne on June 29, 2011, 05:17:45 PM

Dumbasses.

They do. It's called ASCAP. Playing a song at a public event is covered by a blanket license, and not subject to artist's approval. Petty, et al, can bitch and moan, but they can't take legal action.

Nope.  Worse.  They can kick up a stink in the media, and make it known to the fans that the politican in question is trying to attract that they do NOT approve, nor appreciate the use of their music.

Juana

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."