News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

UNLIMITED GOP 2012 PRIMARY CANDIDATE THREAD

Started by LMNO, March 03, 2011, 02:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BadBeast on January 19, 2012, 04:05:25 PM
Back on topic, I think Gop is actually a Welsh verb. Or a noun. As in "Dai, I saw your sister Myfynwy's mate, Dylwynnch at the Bunch of Leeks Saturday night, and she was gopping"

No idea what it means though.

I think it means her back tits were showing.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Perry fails out, endorses Gingrinch.  At the same time, Marianne Gingrinch decides to tell the press about how her husband wanted an open marriage before he divorced her.

East Coast Hustle

And in a most timely fashion, as it's driven Romney's tax bracket mostly out of the news cycle.

What a fortuitous coincidence.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

BadBeast

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 19, 2012, 04:06:20 PM
Quote from: BadBeast on January 19, 2012, 04:05:25 PM
Back on topic, I think Gop is actually a Welsh verb. Or a noun. As in "Dai, I saw your sister Myfynwy's mate, Dylwynnch at the Bunch of Leeks Saturday night, and she was gopping"

No idea what it means though.

I think it means her back tits were showing.
Showing? They were flapping about in the breeze like a pair of batwings!
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

BadBeast

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 20, 2012, 01:24:38 AM
And in a most timely fashion, as it's driven Romney's tax bracket mostly out of the news cycle.

When someone proposes certain Tax concessions to the electorate, in order to secure votes, do they have any major legal obligation to actually honour their promises? I know they never do here, but in America, do they get pushed through?
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

BadBeast

Quote from: Cain on January 20, 2012, 12:25:22 AM
Perry fails out, endorses Gingrinch.  At the same time, Marianne Gingrinch decides to tell the press about how her husband wanted an open marriage before he divorced her.
That will just win him all the floating male voters.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: BadBeast on January 20, 2012, 04:37:27 AM
Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 20, 2012, 01:24:38 AM

When someone proposes certain Tax concessions to the electorate, in order to secure votes, do they have any major legal obligation to actually honour their promises? I know they never do here, but in America, do they get pushed through?

If politicians had a legal obligation to honor ANY of their promises, we wouldn't have any politicians.

But I was talking about the recent news that Romney thinks that he pays income tax in the 15% bracket, which is lower than most middle-class americans. This was framed as a gaffe by him and a potential point of attack for his GOP competitors.

Of course, hardly anybody ever brings up the point that most of Romney's money comes from capital gains, so his actual earned income may very well not be all that much especially if he's got a good accountant.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

BadBeast

Blair eared 12.5 Million last year, and payed £334,000 in Taxes.

Cain

Yes.  Watching the rest of the contenders try to go "we are the 99%" in response to Romney was pretty funny.  The Democratic partisans too are hoping they can tie Romney with the negative connotations of the financial industry and so sink his chances.

The playbook seems pretty clear.  Romney is an out of touch, arrogant elitist (well, yeah), whereas Barack Obama is a down to earth Man of the People (uh, not especially).  Romney is a parasite, a leech on the financial well-being of America (again, yeah), but Barack Obama was a community organiser (which is an entirely different kind of leech).

Hopefully, a good number of people will realise, to use OWS parlance, this is a 1% power-play, that the choices will be between a Wall Street friendly militarist and a Wall Street friendly militarist who has a tendency to flip-flop.  Probably not a majority, but more than last time around, when Hope!, and Change! filled the air.

Cain

Pope Pixie Pickle

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 21, 2012, 11:18:57 AM
Can we have George Romney run for president instead?

That was a really interesting article. I have questions about the end bit where he states that Mitt Romney is a staunch fiscal conservative, though; hardcore conservatives hate him for not being fiscally conservative enough, particularly because he has historically opposed the Bush tax cuts and is even more opposed to a flat tax as a "tax cut for fat cats".

Unfortunately, though, I don't think there is a single serious candidate who doesn't ultimately support the status quo of the plutocracy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Yeah, I mean, "reckless tax cuts" doesn't fit my definition of fiscal conservatism, but my definition and the socially-agreed upon definition of what constitutes a sober and cautious fiscal policy are quite different beasts.

I suspect though the author meant he can be generally relied upon to carry out the agenda of Wall Street, aka the plutocracy, since of course he identifies quite strongly with the financial sector.

Cain

Looks like a Gingrinch win in South Carolina.

For reference, every nominee since 1980 who has run for President on the Republican ticket has won South Carolina.

So, in short, another law of political science is about to be broken.

Phox

Quote from: Cain on January 22, 2012, 01:16:53 AM
Looks like a Gingrinch win in South Carolina.

For reference, every nominee since 1980 who has run for President on the Republican ticket has won South Carolina.

So, in short, another law of political science is about to be broken.
Interesting.