News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

UNLIMITED GOP 2012 PRIMARY CANDIDATE THREAD

Started by LMNO, March 03, 2011, 02:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 21, 2012, 09:29:18 PM
Yeah, I mean, "reckless tax cuts" doesn't fit my definition of fiscal conservatism, but my definition and the socially-agreed upon definition of what constitutes a sober and cautious fiscal policy are quite different beasts.

I suspect though the author meant he can be generally relied upon to carry out the agenda of Wall Street, aka the plutocracy, since of course he identifies quite strongly with the financial sector.

That's what I'm saying though; Romney's actual track record is of opposing reckless tax cuts, and of going after corporations that were suspected of using tax shelters. Among other things, like being pro-gay-marriage and pro-choice. So, clearly, we have a man who is willing to say absolutely anything to get elected.  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on January 22, 2012, 02:03:18 AM
Quote from: Cain on January 21, 2012, 09:29:18 PM
Yeah, I mean, "reckless tax cuts" doesn't fit my definition of fiscal conservatism, but my definition and the socially-agreed upon definition of what constitutes a sober and cautious fiscal policy are quite different beasts.

I suspect though the author meant he can be generally relied upon to carry out the agenda of Wall Street, aka the plutocracy, since of course he identifies quite strongly with the financial sector.

That's what I'm saying though; Romney's actual track record is of opposing reckless tax cuts, and of going after corporations that were suspected of using tax shelters. Among other things, like being pro-gay-marriage and pro-choice. So, clearly, we have a man who is willing to say absolutely anything to get elected.  :lol:

I gotta say, as someone who's lived under Romney, he did actually support Youth Pride Boston.

ETA: Info redacted because I'm not sure it was meant to be known.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

PM me if you want the redacted info. Just don't mention it anywhere.

Cain

Quote from: Doktor M. Phox0 on January 22, 2012, 01:26:31 AM
Quote from: Cain on January 22, 2012, 01:16:53 AM
Looks like a Gingrinch win in South Carolina.

For reference, every nominee since 1980 who has run for President on the Republican ticket has won South Carolina.

So, in short, another law of political science is about to be broken.
Interesting.

South Carolina is essentially Teabagger Mecca.  You know how there was a hardcore of 27 per cent of the country who still supported Bush, even as late as October 2008?  Well, that's where you could find a lot of them.  Not to mention SC's prominence as a centre of Neo-Confederate screeds and white victimhood, to such a degree it should be considered one of the state's main exports.

Romney is far too slick and East Coast elitist for them.  Well, so is Gingrinch too, really, but he speaks hatred of Federal Government better, something of an irony given his long experience in government, much longer than Mittens.

So, this means Santorum is out, he just doesn't know it yet.  It's going to be trench warfare between Mittens and Open Marriage for the nomination.  Gingrinch doesn't have the political backing from the party elite, who hate his guts, but the Republican nomination system is far more democratic than the Democratic one (ironically) and so public opinion plays a far greater role in selection, whereas in the Democratic primaries, a super-delegate coup can always bypass the grassroots of the party should it need to (and while it rarely does, the potential for it makes candidates far more willing to suck up to said super-delegates).

Republican elites have to rely on more indirect tactics, such as attack ads, endorsements, political gossip journos and Making Shit Up.  While this will probably ultimately prove effective, it's still hilarious that a thrice-married adulterer is possibly going to be the family values candidate for President.

Phox

Quote from: Cain on January 22, 2012, 02:00:59 PM
Quote from: Doktor M. Phox0 on January 22, 2012, 01:26:31 AM
Quote from: Cain on January 22, 2012, 01:16:53 AM
Looks like a Gingrinch win in South Carolina.

For reference, every nominee since 1980 who has run for President on the Republican ticket has won South Carolina.

So, in short, another law of political science is about to be broken.
Interesting.

South Carolina is essentially Teabagger Mecca.  You know how there was a hardcore of 27 per cent of the country who still supported Bush, even as late as October 2008?  Well, that's where you could find a lot of them.  Not to mention SC's prominence as a centre of Neo-Confederate screeds and white victimhood, to such a degree it should be considered one of the state's main exports.

Romney is far too slick and East Coast elitist for them.  Well, so is Gingrinch too, really, but he speaks hatred of Federal Government better, something of an irony given his long experience in government, much longer than Mittens.

So, this means Santorum is out, he just doesn't know it yet.  It's going to be trench warfare between Mittens and Open Marriage for the nomination.  Gingrinch doesn't have the political backing from the party elite, who hate his guts, but the Republican nomination system is far more democratic than the Democratic one (ironically) and so public opinion plays a far greater role in selection, whereas in the Democratic primaries, a super-delegate coup can always bypass the grassroots of the party should it need to (and while it rarely does, the potential for it makes candidates far more willing to suck up to said super-delegates).

Republican elites have to rely on more indirect tactics, such as attack ads, endorsements, political gossip journos and Making Shit Up.  While this will probably ultimately prove effective, it's still hilarious that a thrice-married adulterer is possibly going to be the family values candidate for President.
I'm not surprised by the fact that Gingrich won SC, but i didn't know that about the winner going on the clinch the nomination for the GOP ticket.

Thanks for the rest of the insight, as well. I think it will be interesting going forward. This makes me love living in a state with open primaries.  :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on January 23, 2012, 12:01:46 AM

We need an emote for perfect.

Or you need to tell me what the existing one is.

Golden Applesauce

It used to be :mittens:, but I think people have realized how overused it was.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Cain

A cogent psychological insight into Newt

http://www.stiftungleostrauss.com/bunker/newt-in-south-carolina-keep-pushing/

QuoteNewt's many faults are discussed everywhere.

So it's impressive how little people get Newt. Even while talking about him ad nauseum.

Newt's actually a chemist, of a sort. His favored (and necessary) efforts are to turn politics into their most gaseous state, that is to say radicalized and unpredictable. Amorphous. In this sense he truly is the anti-Romney and vice versa.

As a chemist, Newton Leroy Gingrich's accelerant always is expediency. Look at the major events of his life. Expediency defines him from his first divorce through his calamitous years as Speaker to now running against LBOs and runaway judges. (An old acquaintance helped write that 52 page whackadoodle thing; if our experience writing for Newt is any guide he skimmed the intro then scrawled "Good effort, keep pushing. Newt.")

The Nihilism Of Action

"Keep pushing". That drive to impart motion to politics is vital to his appeal and limitations. Newt is immersed in the Movement but not really part of it. Newt's never even been a conservative. We don't mean like recent (duh) denunciations by NRO, Santorum, etc. Newt's on the Right because it's expedient – they were and remain more pliable to his politics of expedient radicalism.

"Keep pushing" (we have that across our own papers somewhere, too). When politics are radicalized, when consensus boundaries and expectations are shattered, Newt finds his natural environment. He's free. Whether you were for Paul Ryan's budget or against it details for little minds. Nor whether you bashed a plutocrat for LBOs. Use a cable debate host like rag doll to mop the floor with a false narrative? All yesterday's used tissues. "Keep pushing."

Here's a story. Republicans had just taken over the House. All of DC was in shock. Newt's myth that he, Haley and the Contract had anything to do it another expedient fib. It was a last minute photo opp that gathered little attention. A famous pollster later got sanctioned by his professional association for claiming he did polling showing voters even knew about the Contract (trust us, we were there).

Still, Newt was Speaker. And it was a sweet ride for those tagging along. The Washington Post reporter covering X affairs called. He asked did the Speaker-elect really mean he would abolish X Department/Agency? Jack, then on Newt's staff, passed the call to the Stiftung.

The Stiftung had no idea. There hadn't even been a meeting on the subject. So we pulled a number out of thin air and said "Z function could be done by 28 people." (28 sounded better than something round like 100). We laughed hanging up the phone.

And so across the WaPo the next day was "Gingrich Proposes Radical Slashing X to 28 people." Newt was delighted. He didn't care about the details. The *atmosphere* of radicalism is what he craved, keeping everyone off balance, preserving final options for him alone. Newt used to keep pestering Jack Reed, then the new Chair of the House Commerce Committee (it hadn't been split by Tauzin's ego yet). "Jack, of course we're going to abolish the Commerce Department, and Education. So pick your own trophy. What ex-Department do you want over your fireplace?" (True quotes).

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Cain on January 23, 2012, 09:29:17 AM
A cogent psychological insight into Newt

http://www.stiftungleostrauss.com/bunker/newt-in-south-carolina-keep-pushing/

Pushy, expedient radicalism. That really does fit quite well, even down to his tone of voice.

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cain

I like the way the C-SPAN presenters are almost freaking out when they hear it, whereas the politicians are just like "well, you know, that's a good question".

Cramulus

whaaaaaaaaat

In the 'what were they thinking' dept: Rick Santorum launches C.U.M.

This comes from the land of "you can't make this sh*t up." GOP Clown Car occupant, ace homophobe and bearer of a redefined surname that has become a giant political problem for him on Google, Rick Santorum is not doing himself any more favors by launching the Conservatives United Moneybomb, or C.U.M. for shorthand.