News:

Nothing gets wasted around here

Main Menu

UNLIMITED GOP 2012 PRIMARY CANDIDATE THREAD

Started by LMNO, March 03, 2011, 02:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on February 15, 2012, 07:19:15 PM
I don't think people thought the black album wasn't metal enough, they just thought it sucked.

My reaction to the Black Album:  "I wanted Metallica.  Who put a Soundgarden CD in this box?"
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

East Coast Hustle

more like Stone Temple Pilots. :lulz:

After all, aside from their final album Soundgarden were direct musical descendents of Black Sabbath. Or, they're what Black Sabbath would have sounded like if Tony Iommi's talent had been on par with his ambition and innovation.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on February 15, 2012, 07:29:25 PM
more like Stone Temple Pilots. :lulz:

After all, aside from their final album Soundgarden were direct musical descendents of Black Sabbath. Or, they're what Black Sabbath would have sounded like if Tony Iommi's talent had been on par with his ambition and innovation.

I only heard the one album.  The one with Spoon Man on it.  And I felt the same way about IT as I felt about the Black Album, only not as bad, because I didn't have that huge LET DOWN feeling that made me want to send Rob Halford a crate of grenades and James Hetfield's address.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

East Coast Hustle

Go check out Badmotorfinger or Louder Than Love.

Though personally I loved Superunknown. How you gonna say Fresh Tendrils isn't heavy as fuck?

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

I kind of love how the prevailing opinion on this board has a deep respect for the 80's New Wave of British Heavy Metal.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 15, 2012, 07:41:35 PM
I kind of love how the prevailing opinion on this board has a deep respect for the 80's New Wave of British Heavy Metal.

The British suffer more than we do, so they have better art (music) and worse politicians.

East Coast Hustle

I literally almost crapped my pants 10 minutes ago when I found out that Iron Maiden was gonna be playing in WA in July and not playing any material more recent than 7th Son of a 7th Son. In fact, I just got back from barely making it to the shitter.

Nephew Twiddleton

Oh fuck yeah gotta see if theyre hitting boston.

Also part of what got me to stop listening to megadeth was knowing that their song back in the day is a blatant rip off lyrically of saxons denim and leather.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

East Coast Hustle

Rust in Peace is still, IMO, the single best metal album of all time.

However, that doesn't mean that Mustaine isn't a worthless shitheel that I'd like to punch, and it DEFINITELY doesn't mean that any subsequent Megadeth albums are worth the electrons they're illegally downloaded with. I mean, surely nobody's paying actual MONEY to listen to that crap, right?

East Coast Hustle

It probably says something about the current state of American two party politics that this thread was hijacked into an infinitely more interesting discussion simply by mentioning Dave Mustaine.

We should probably start a facebook group dedicated to drafting Dave Mustaine to run for office. One way or another, hilarity is sure to ensue.

AFK

Quote from: Billy the Twid on February 15, 2012, 07:51:51 PM

Also part of what got me to stop listening to megadeth was knowing that their song back in the day is a blatant rip off lyrically of saxons denim and leather.

I gave up on Megadeth when they released Countdown to Extinction which was an obvious attempt to ride the "Black" album coattails.  (Testament and Overkill did the same damned thing!)  It wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't followed the monumental Rust in Peace album. 

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Nephew Twiddleton

I didnt get into metal until both black album and countdown were already released so i gave both bands more leeway with their sound for longer. Though i disliked load and effectively stopped listening to metallica after listening to reload. I think my first exposure to megadeth was youthanasia.

East Coast Hustle

Youthanasia might be the single worst metal album ever released, and I'm including the Pat Boone cover album in that statement.

I mean, Et Tu LeMonde? Really? FRENCH LANGUAGE IS NOT METAL.

Quote from: What's-His-Name? on February 15, 2012, 08:51:43 PM
Quote from: Billy the Twid on February 15, 2012, 07:51:51 PM

I gave up on Megadeth when they released Countdown to Extinction which was an obvious attempt to ride the "Black" album coattails.  (Testament and Overkill did the same damned thing!)  It wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't followed the monumental Rust in Peace album. 

The difference between Testament and those other bands, of course, is that after that album Testament not only went back to being the best goddamned thrash metal band that ever stomped the earth, they kept getting better.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on February 15, 2012, 07:45:43 PM

I literally almost crapped my pants 10 minutes ago when I found out that Iron Maiden was gonna be playing in WA in July and not playing any material more recent than 7th Son of a 7th Son. In fact, I just got back from barely making it to the shitter.

IN BOSTON TUESDAY JUNE 26!

:fap: :fap: :fap:

Twid,
Don't even try to make plans with me then.

AFK

Gotta see if I can talk the wife into that one.  We were just talking the other day about making some plans this summer to catch some concerts in Beantown.

Well, this is a concert, and it is in Beantown. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.