News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

UNLIMITED GOP 2012 PRIMARY CANDIDATE THREAD

Started by LMNO, March 03, 2011, 02:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

Anyone who thinks they can put on other people's heritage when it's convenient is at least a little racist.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Nephew Twiddleton

Romney is so out of touch i wouldnt say that he is racist so much as he doesnt understand why some things come across as racist. Maybe thats giving him too much credit but hes so gaffe prone in every category that i dont think hes capable of seeing how he comes across. Combination of obscene wealth ambition and probably a little aspergers.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Verbal Mike

Garbo – no argument there, I was only talking about the verbal "threat to our nation" comment.

Twid – totally.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Nephew Twiddleton

I mean he put his fucking dog on the car roof. That indicates hes just totally incapable of thinking outside of himself in any capacity.

Verbal Mike

Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Nephew Twiddleton

If you google romney car dog the first result youll get is the wikipedia article "mitt romney dog incident" which happened in 1983

Juana

Mitt Romney's dog incident:
t happened more than a quarter century ago, at the start of a Romney family summer vacation. But the tale of Seamus, the Irish setter who got sick while riding 12 hours on the roof of Mitt Romney's faux-wood-paneled station wagon, is ballooning into a narrative of epic proportions.

It has come to characterize the candidate — and not in the favorable way Tagg Romney hoped for when he first talked in 2007 about his family's annual road trips.

Late-night host David Letterman has been giving the dog near-nightly shout-outs. There are parody Web videos, "Dogs Aren't Luggage" T-shirts and Facebook groups. ("Dogs Against Romney," which protested outside last month's Westminster dog show, has more than 38,000 Facebook fans.) The New Yorker featured a cartoon, with Rick Santorum riding in Romney's rooftop dog carrier, on its cover last week. In the five years since the story was revealed, New York Times columnist Gail Collins has mentioned Seamus in at least 50 columns.

On Wednesday, the top campaign adviser to Santorum injected the dog into the already bitter Republican presidential race.

In response to a question on CNN about Romney's criticism of an ad being aired by a super PAC supporting Santorum, John Brabender said, "Quite frankly, I'm not sure I'm going to listen to the value judgment of a guy who strapped his dog to the top of the roof of his car and went hurling down the highway."

Romney did not simply strap Seamus to the roof. He attached a dog carrier to the roof rack of the family's Chevrolet station wagon — the "white whale," as his boys called it — and assembled a shield to protect Seamus from the highway winds.

The Seamus story first surfaced in the Boston Globe in a chapter of a biographical series the newspaper published in 2007, when Romney first ran for president.

One summer day in 1983, as the Globe reported, the overpacked Romney wagon — suitcases, supplies and five sons, ages 13 and under — set off from Boston for the 12-hour trek to his parents' cottage in Ontario on the Canadian shores of Lake Huron. Romney, then a 36-year-old management consultant, had planned a single stop to refill the tank, get food and go to the bathroom.

Until the evidence of Seamus's sickness started dripping down the back window.

"Dad!" Tagg, the eldest son, yelled from the back of the wagon. "Gross!"

Romney pulled off the highway, washed down Seamus and the car at a service station, then got back on the highway.

The reactions

To some animal lovers, the story is an example of cruelty.

"It really says this guy is not like us and is mean," said Scott Crider, an Alabama marketing guru who founded Dogs Against Romney.

Idaho Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter, a Romney supporter, said he did not know the story about Seamus but did not see any harm in an open-air ride.

"We carry our dogs around in the back of our pickup all the time," Otter said. "I've got two dogs, and I just say, 'Get in,' and they jump in the back."

Romney's political opponents sense an opportunity. Former House speaker Newt Gingrich raised the incident a few months ago with a campaign video attacking Romney.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Cain

To be honest, the idea of the Democrats giving a fuck about a dog, when their President is sending flying killing robots around the world to execute people (and their entire families) on the basis of intelligence reports strikes me as...unlikely.

It's acually slightly nauseous that people who decided this was a good idea think they can win sympathy by going "but he's mean to animals!"  If Mitt Romney treated his dog with the same contempt the Obama administration treats detainees, he'd be in a prison by now.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on September 20, 2012, 07:08:39 PM
Anyone who thinks they can put on other people's heritage when it's convenient is at least a little racist.

He's essentially stuck in the Al Jolson era, yeah.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Cain on September 20, 2012, 07:37:34 PM
To be honest, the idea of the Democrats giving a fuck about a dog, when their President is sending flying killing robots around the world to execute people (and their entire families) on the basis of intelligence reports strikes me as...unlikely.

It's acually slightly nauseous that people who decided this was a good idea think they can win sympathy by going "but he's mean to animals!"  If Mitt Romney treated his dog with the same contempt the Obama administration treats detainees, he'd be in a prison by now.

Diversionary tactic, yeah. "LOOK OVER THERE!"  :x

Romney's still pretty fucked up, though. Like the time he cut that gay kid's hair because "HE CAN'T LOOK LIKE THAT!"

Not saying that a haircut is on par with what happened to Adnan Latif. Just saying that Romney wouldn't give a fuck, either.

Cain

Oh yeah, Romney almost certainly wouldn't give a fuck about any of these things either.

But I do think a fundamental rule of life is that you can't play the "this is fucked up" card when the team you're supporting is doing even more fucked up things.

Nephew Twiddleton

I was more pointing it out to illustrate why i dont think romney is actually racist. Just.... Socially retarded.

Also hes an incurable panderer which also adds to it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

At I said before, I'm not sure that putting your dog in a large crate secured to the roof of a car is any worse than putting your dog in a pickup truck, or in a crate in a pickup truck, or in a car, period. It would be cruel if it were below 40 degrees or if the dog was exposed to high wind, but it wasn't.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."