News:

PD's body has a way of shutting pro-lifer's down.

Main Menu

Comments on The Devil's Discordian Dictionary

Started by Don Coyote, March 08, 2011, 01:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Seeing how it bloody says "Not for comments" in the title.
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=28577.0
Comment here.
With a fucking link to what you are commenting on.

Or don't. But at least I can fucking read.

LMNO

Loving the Crazy Eddy entry.  I think our bass player is in the same species, but hasn't tipped fully over yet.

LMNO

You're giving away all the secrets!

Love the latest, by the way.

Triple Zero

:mittens:

educational, instructional and a great read!

the idea to give all of these an entry in the BIP wiki occurred to me, what do you think?

(or as a new section if the page already exists, like for Eris probably and Slack maybe)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Moved your post, Trip.

And, yeah, adding these to the wiki would be fine.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Coyote, you're a dick.  :lulz:

I kind of love you.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Canis latrans securis on March 08, 2011, 01:47:54 AM
Seeing how it bloody says "Not for comments" in the title.

d'oh! didn't catch that, sorry.

my first instinct is to comment if I like something really much, cause I know it sucks to write something really cool and it's left in dead silence.

I suppose my excuse must have been I wasn't fully awake yet (the other option was I must have been tired/sleepy, but I posted it in the morning).

But now I'm rather busy the rest of the week so I don't know when I can add them to the wiki, though.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote11.  The Truth: (Noun)  This is possibly the most important concept in this list.  Truth is often mistaken for religioun, philosophy, or principles.  This, of course, is incorrect.

Truth is, in the plainest terms, the way things really are, as opposed to the way we'd like things to be.  The truth can change with conditions (ie, it's true that the sky is clear here today, but that may not be true tomorrow), or even with perspective (a simple lesson in relativity will demonstrate that), but it is not subject to opinion or wishful thinking or even the strident demands of those in authority.

Needless to say, telling the truth will not make you popular at parties, because most peoples' most closely held beliefs are not based on truth.  In fact, there isn't a single political philosophy that is based on truth, nor any religions (at least, not that can be proven).  Communism doesn't work, no matter how badly you want it to.  Neither does laissez faire capitalism, anarchy, or anything else that deviates from the primate pack mentality (Constitutional monarchy does just fine, as does a democracy/republic so long as there is a president/prime minister/whatever to represent the alpha of the pack).  The reason for this is that the truth is that we are primates, and we act like primates, so - at least in a group of any size - we need alphas, and the rules that they enforce.

Sometimes it's not always desirable to TELL the truth ("My, what an ugly bride"), but it is always desirable to see and understand it, unless you're the kind of person who likes walking around cacti with a blindfold on.

In short, the truth is the way things are, whether or not you like it or care to see it.  You can often get away with ignoring it, but eventually, you're gonna get bit.

The truth is a horrible thing.  It isn't always noble, it's rarely pleasing, and it can sometimes even drive you mad.  But it is the only thing worth having.

I wholeheartedly agree and have often tried to illustrate this principal in rants.  I like to find utility in the "softer" truths.  A principal I call "True Enough"  If you find yourself on top of a jungle temple about to have your heart cut out to feed the gods it no longer matters if those gods are real.  The temple is real. The sun glinting off that obsidian dagger is real.  The theology enthusiast holding it is real and so are his crazy-dance thoughts about you.  He thinks the gods are real and that he's their go-to guy. Then gods become pointedly real seeming to you thanks to him.  They're real enough to cause change in human behavior that makes it real.

Early protohumans really got to banging rocks for a long time. At some point the truth of the environment started getting through to their minds and they realized not all rocks are equally useful.  The banging got more serious when the truth that some rocks can break others into far more useful rocks was discovered.  This also got us the FIRE!  This basic rock alchemy got us through a lot but I think the tendency may have turned on us with our newfangled toys.  It is the truth that banging rocks is a time-honored human skill.  I think it may become true that the subatomic rocks we keep banging burn us in the end.  Truth is a horrible taste that never goes away.

The common ground between the gods and our rock habit is another truth.  It is true that humans can manifest their imaginations of the world into the world and change it and other humans in functionally irreversible ways.  This is what is most godlike to me about us.  This terrible responsibility used to keep me awake when I was much younger and full of more theological pretensions than I hold now.  I think that is was no real lie (in the Big Story) when the serpent allegedly said "You won't surely die.  The Gster's holding out on you.  When you eat it your eyes will become open like God, knowing good and evil" in two senses.  1. I think we already were Godlike monkey stuff.  2. Whatever really happened we sure did learn a lot and may yet find the means to life. It is true enough that our species faces godlike choices.

Gonna hang out in the real now.  Peace and be happy for it's own sake!

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Luna

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 21, 2011, 12:35:55 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on June 21, 2011, 12:18:33 AM
Peace and be happy for it's own sake!

I really hate this guy.

It's not his fault, Dok.

He doesn't realize that happiness is just a form of temporary insanity.  It strikes when you can fool yourself into believing that you're actually going to get the things you want from life.  Or, worse, that life WILL give you the things you wanted, let you learn to enjoy them, let you think you actually DESERVED them and will get to keep them, and then it will just yank them away, in the most painful way possible.

Life just plain hasn't fucked this one enough, yet.  He'll learn, though...  He'll learn.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cramulus

loving this series

favorites:

Walking Glitch
Lost Highway
The Dread God Finagle and His Mad Prophet Murphy
ALL the Tuscon stuff

and especially
Complacency

The contrast with happiness is very provocative

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Luna on June 21, 2011, 01:03:53 AM

I really hate this guy.

It's not his fault, Dok.

He doesn't realize that happiness is just a form of temporary insanity.  It strikes when you can fool yourself into believing that you're actually going to get the things you want from life.  Or, worse, that life WILL give you the things you wanted, let you learn to enjoy them, let you think you actually DESERVED them and will get to keep them, and then it will just yank them away, in the most painful way possible.

Life just plain hasn't fucked this one enough, yet.  He'll learn, though...  He'll learn.

It did and I did learn.  I don't see this world in some stupid good vibes haze.  I see it and I hate what I see from us and nature alike.  Things fucking suck on this little dust particle of a planet.  I used to blame God, then I blamed people.  Finally I placed the blame right in my own lap.  I'm jealous about it now.  I don't want that dirty girl anywhere else and don't plan to share. She taught me things.  It is ALL my fault! I'm the one that determines if the local reality sucks for me or not.  If there are things in it that I really want to change or adapt to that's also firmly on me and i pay the costs. I'm aware all of this may be meaningless and horrible in the end and don't mind that. 

As for saying stuff like "Peace and happy for it's own sake" I mean it.  They're useful and (I think) fucking healthy to have, and the meaninglessness will Always be there for you if you have them or not.  They're perfectly useful tools if you learn to work them, and it pointlessly cripples you to deny them to yourself & others because it hurts to lose them.  I mean this is Earth and we do pain here for a living.  It's excruciating for me to type these replies sometimes.  I'm sure their content seems unwanted, unimpressive, and annoying to some of you, and I tend to go on at length.  I'm well aware that I can come off as a blowhard with extra pretensions.  I'm not one though.  I don't need or demand respect either but I find giving it mutually useful.  There's nothing useful to me in a tepid nihilistic(or whatever) worldview with "Happy is a disease and you can never keep anything, oh no!" as a factor.  At least an honest hate could be useful to me.
or kill me.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on June 21, 2011, 07:54:05 PM

I really hate this guy.

It's not his fault, Dok.

It did and I did learn.  I don't see this world in some stupid good vibes haze.  I see it and I hate what I see from us and nature alike.  Things fucking suck on this little dust particle of a planet.  I used to blame God, then I blamed people.  Finally I placed the blame right in my own lap.  I'm jealous about it now.  I don't want that dirty girl anywhere else and don't plan to share. She taught me things.  It is ALL my fault! I'm the one that determines if the local reality sucks for me or not.  If there are things in it that I really want to change or adapt to that's also firmly on me and i pay the costs. I'm aware all of this may be meaningless and horrible in the end and don't mind that. 

As for saying stuff like "Peace and happy for it's own sake" I mean it.  They're useful and (I think) fucking healthy to have, and the meaninglessness will Always be there for you if you have them or not.  They're perfectly useful tools if you learn to work them, and it pointlessly cripples you to deny them to yourself & others because it hurts to lose them.  I mean this is Earth and we do pain here for a living.  It's excruciating for me to type these replies sometimes.  I'm sure their content seems unwanted, unimpressive, and annoying to some of you, and I tend to go on at length.  I'm well aware that I can come off as a blowhard with extra pretensions.  I'm not one though.  I don't need or demand respect either but I find giving it mutually useful.  There's nothing useful to me in a tepid nihilistic(or whatever) worldview with "Happy is a disease and you can never keep anything, oh no!" as a factor.  At least an honest hate could be useful to me.
or kill me.

What the fuck are you jabbering about?
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 21, 2011, 08:00:27 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on June 21, 2011, 07:54:05 PM

I really hate this guy.

It's not his fault, Dok.

or kill me.

What the fuck are you jabbering about?
I don't know.(should just say that, but..)  I reacted angrily to the idea that I need to learn more about life and it's terribleness and all this stuff came out.  It's not very coherent, but I really felt annoyed and wasn't thinking about clarity.  should have been more like:

1. Life has fucked me plenty, thanks :|.  I'm not a fool optimist.  The world can be terrible and I know it.   I used to pass off the blame for the hurt I felt on God and other people, but now only blame myself if I don't like this world.  I take responsibility for my part in it.  If I want to act on what I see and don't (or do) like I bear the costs of that.  I know that whatever effort put in or other costs I pay will not matter. I may get nothing for them, and I can fight that possibility but will eventually lose when I inevitably die.

2. I say things like "Peace and be happy for it's own sake" because I mean it.  Peace(in the fearless sense) and happiness(also fearless but having fun) are VERY useful in daily life.  They can be mastered like tools fit to heal or harm.  It seems pointless to deny yourself such just because it hurts to use.  Luna's description isn't entirely inaccurate, but I don't think that's real happiness.  If you were really happy all those desires & delusions Luna described might not have much power over you. Much less the ability to hurt you.     The rest of the paragraph is just pointless  crap and the idea that I would prefer an honest hate to the cold trickster adversary Luna made happiness out to be.  Reading the post again I'm not struck by it's incoherence. I sound off almost like a drug addict about this happiness thing and need to think before typing. 

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl