News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

Well, that's gonna put a fucking damper on things

Started by East Coast Hustle, March 20, 2011, 08:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: maphdet on March 23, 2011, 07:41:26 PM
Quote from: Khara on March 23, 2011, 01:17:58 PM
Buy a crab boat.

Crab Fishing.
If you could do this-you would make some $.
But then you would have to be in business for yourself to make the $-which means you would not be making the money right away.
Hmmm.

So far I like-
Crab fishing
IT
Law
Cop

Possibly throw in there some thought on a professor or teacher. Not sure they make 100k though. Maybe some professors. ?
Or
Film/video
I have a friend who went to school-roughly four yrs. for film and has worked (behind the scenes) on numerous gigs with the film crews (not movies really, but you could think about that too. Mostly sporting events and such). Making nearly 80K or so without much effort.

btw-sucks about the allergy.

I could handle being on a crab boat, but I don't have the resources to buy one outright and staff/equip it, so I'd have to go as a greehorn. I've thought about it before, but my window of being able to take that kind of repeated physical beating is probably closing.

I've also thought about getting into the film industry (as a tech or grip or something along those lines) and I have an "in" in the industry. Would probably be able to make 60K pretty easily and maybe 80 or 90K in a few years, but there's one problem with that line of work, and it is the single most insurmountable problem I can think of:

I'd have to move to LA. There is literally nothing in the entire world that I hate more than LA. I'd rather be a hobo and have to clean piss off of peoples' shoes with my tongue for food than live in LA ever again.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on March 23, 2011, 11:01:03 PM
Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 23, 2011, 10:58:34 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 23, 2011, 03:08:33 AM
If I could have your phone number, I would call you and say "I don't understand why people are like, oh hey a flood plain! I'd like to move there!"

it would be different, I swear to god. There is a reason people want me to like, be their minister and marry them and shit. Mostly people say that I am "nurturing". Also I might be kind of a bitch at times, but that's not really my predominant trait. I am starting to become kind of distressed about my online bitch persona, because seriously, I am every bit as much of a Horrible Bastard in person, but for some reason people find it fucking cuddly or some shit. ECH and Net and TGRR and Freeky and EOT can vouch for this. EOT has seen probably the worst sides of me; he's seen me be a real bitch, and cry, and lose my shit.

I think I'm kind of drunk; dammit. I gave up not drinking and now it only takes about four ounces of wine to fuck me up hard.

Also ECH should become a coroner, because that would fucking rock hard. Dude.

When we hang out in person, it is sometimes difficult for me not to just randomly hug you for being so adorable. Even when you're saying/doing something that would come off as "heinous bitchface" in an online context.

I don't even fucking get it

I'm like your tiny little dog. Secretly I'm a giant asshole who beats people up, but nature cursed me with being tiny and huggable so I never learned.

I rail against my fate!

If it makes you feel any better, I frequently have the exact opposite problem. Apparently, I just LOOK like a shady asshole who is ready to get violent at the drop of a hat when I am, in fact, a paragon of reasonableness and civility.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

navkat

I was raised by a father who was a violent, paranoid, sociopathic ass who felt that the world was made up entirely of stupid people who were given unfair advantages. He believes that charity is naivete and kindness is foolishness. He thinks the world needs to change but feels like it's everyone else's responsibility to get cracking on that because when it comes to him, it's dog-eat-dog.

My problem is I didn't want to be him so I went to the opposite extreme.

East Coast Hustle

I don't believe there's any such thing as an "unfair advantage". You make your own luck.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 24, 2011, 12:50:23 AM
I don't believe there's any such thing as an "unfair advantage". You make your own luck.

To a point.  And then you accidentally Dick Cheney.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 23, 2011, 11:06:16 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 23, 2011, 11:01:03 PM
Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 23, 2011, 10:58:34 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 23, 2011, 03:08:33 AM
If I could have your phone number, I would call you and say "I don't understand why people are like, oh hey a flood plain! I'd like to move there!"

it would be different, I swear to god. There is a reason people want me to like, be their minister and marry them and shit. Mostly people say that I am "nurturing". Also I might be kind of a bitch at times, but that's not really my predominant trait. I am starting to become kind of distressed about my online bitch persona, because seriously, I am every bit as much of a Horrible Bastard in person, but for some reason people find it fucking cuddly or some shit. ECH and Net and TGRR and Freeky and EOT can vouch for this. EOT has seen probably the worst sides of me; he's seen me be a real bitch, and cry, and lose my shit.

I think I'm kind of drunk; dammit. I gave up not drinking and now it only takes about four ounces of wine to fuck me up hard.

Also ECH should become a coroner, because that would fucking rock hard. Dude.

When we hang out in person, it is sometimes difficult for me not to just randomly hug you for being so adorable. Even when you're saying/doing something that would come off as "heinous bitchface" in an online context.

I don't even fucking get it

I'm like your tiny little dog. Secretly I'm a giant asshole who beats people up, but nature cursed me with being tiny and huggable so I never learned.

I rail against my fate!

If it makes you feel any better, I frequently have the exact opposite problem. Apparently, I just LOOK like a shady asshole who is ready to get violent at the drop of a hat when I am, in fact, a paragon of reasonableness and civility.

Heee. Hee heee heeee!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My mom has borderline personality disorder. My dad is some kind of superhero or something. I feel like that shit has set me up poorly in terms of being a good human being, but I'm trying really hard anyway.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:01 AM
My mom has borderline personality disorder. My dad is some kind of superhero or something.

Hey, me too! And look how awesome I am! You'll be fine!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on March 23, 2011, 02:05:26 AM
Talking to Roger is a whole different experience because once you get him on the phone you can totally tell he's holding back laughter the whole fucking time. Or not holding it back; he laughs a lot.

It helps stop the screaming.

Also, I reiterate:  ECH --->  Born cop.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Here's why:

ECH:  "Sir, do you know how fast you were going?"

Dickhead:  "Do you KNOW who you're talking to?"

ECH:  "Sir, please step out of the car for the field sobriety test."

(Note that the field sobriety test sometimes includes rolling down embankments.)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 24, 2011, 02:06:55 AM
Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:01 AM
My mom has borderline personality disorder. My dad is some kind of superhero or something.

Hey, me too! And look how awesome I am! You'll be fine!

I LOLed.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 24, 2011, 02:31:46 AM
Here's why:

(Note that the field sobriety test sometimes includes rolling down embankments.)

Again, LOLing.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 02:34:28 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 24, 2011, 02:31:46 AM
Here's why:

Again, LOLing.

There are a few things you never say to a cop.  That is #3 on the list.

navkat

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: navkat on March 24, 2011, 02:38:05 AM
What's #2?

"I pay your salary, Goddammit."

That's a good one.  Leads to no end of hilarity.