News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

FAO: Spags what like to hit other spags

Started by Don Coyote, March 27, 2011, 08:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Requia ☣

Academy of arms seems less full of itself.  This is always a bonus.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Luna

Dude, find your local branch of the SCA.  They won't charge an arm and a leg, and they're a hell of a lot more fun.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Requia ☣

Hell wrap half a 2x4 in duct tape and convince a friend to let you try to whack him with it.  Always worked for me.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Sexecutioner Chao Tight

Schlachtschule, because you know it will be eines wunderbar place to practice seinen Deutschesprach.

SCT
-whose German ist jetzt sehr schlecht and mucho broken.
High Priestess of the First Church of the Burnt Lizard.  Protector of Chickens.

Richter

I'd say look for something that offers both technique instruction and full-contact sparing.  You really need both to get a well rounded sense, and some groups seem to focus on striking poses and learning techniques, never actually using them with speed or intent. 

The SCA will provide the sparring bit!  IT also gives you an appreciation for the problems of moving in armor, and how to use more than your arm to move the sword.  It's a sport though, has a sport's limitations, and it's easy to loose sight of techniques in favor of "swinging a huge pole like a bat until they give in works"
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

The SCA is not martial arts. It's a goddamn sport. He'll learn nothing other than useless wrap shots. We can't guarantee he'll have the same level of instruction we do with our fencing group, not all kingdoms or baronies play that way. Shit, most of the EK doesn't play that way, for starters, we got lucky.

Fortunately, when I halved my blade in Florida, the Trimaris guy knew what was up and played Talhoffer with me, other fighter have kittens.

If he's serious about learning a medieval martial art, he needs to get in touch with the ISMAC guys and get a referral to a school in his area. If he can attend ISMAC in Vegas, even better.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Quote from: Sexecutioner Chao Tight on March 28, 2011, 05:41:02 AM
Schlachtschule, because you know it will be eines wunderbar place to practice seinen Deutschesprach.

SCT

This post made my fluency progress go back 3 steps.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sexecutioner Chao Tight

Quote from: Suu the Infallible on March 28, 2011, 03:34:09 PM

SCT

Happy to help.  Oder, hilfen sint Spass! (?)  Really, it's been toooooooo many years, but the random German thought/word still rolls through my brain.

Oh and to Don Coyote... I stand by my choice also, because the Schlachtschule guy seems so damn serious.  Wonder what his breaking point is?
High Priestess of the First Church of the Burnt Lizard.  Protector of Chickens.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Requia ☣ on March 27, 2011, 09:58:32 PM
Academy of arms seems less full of itself.  This is always a bonus.

How so?

Quote from: Luna on March 28, 2011, 12:29:30 AM
Dude, find your local branch of the SCA.  They won't charge an arm and a leg, and they're a hell of a lot more fun.
The SCA is no because:
Quote from: Suu the Infallible on March 28, 2011, 03:31:14 PM
The SCA is not martial arts. It's a goddamn sport. He'll learn nothing other than useless wrap shots.
Sword and board in plate harness? :lulz: "No you can't play with us like that because it's not period, but we like to fight in plate with basket-hilted swords and large shields"

SCT

Sexecution uses Horridbad German on Suu. It's super effective.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Sexecutioner Chao Tight on March 28, 2011, 03:43:27 PM

SCT

Happy to help.  Oder, hilfen sint Spass! (?)  Really, it's been toooooooo many years, but the random German thought/word still rolls through my brain.

Oh and to Don Coyote... I stand by my choice also, because the Schlachtschule guy seems so damn serious.  Wonder what his breaking point is?

Well he does have a yahoo group.....

Suu

Also, things to remember...I got this tidbit of information from Professore Mark Donnelly out of the UK when he was at SPWF last year:

All of the Fechtbucher are treatises. Not textbooks. You're looking at an ADVERTISEMENT for a system or a school, not the entire how-to. This makes things a bit difficult, since the people who wrote the treatises are long since, well dead, and so are those that studied their systems for the most part. You can only learn so much from a book, ya know? We have a good time at our rapier academy, but in the end, we only know what's in the 1.33 Walpurgis Manuscript and a bit of Talhoffer and Liechtenauer because of what we've read. Chances are we're not executing them correctly, which is dangerous...and that's how people get hurt.

You're best bet, before you pick a school, is to do a considerable amount of research on who teaches what, and has trained with whom, to give you the best education for your buck.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Suu the Infallible on March 28, 2011, 03:59:57 PM
Also, things to remember...I got this tidbit of information from Professore Mark Donnelly out of the UK when he was at SPWF last year:

All of the Fechtbucher are treatises. Not textbooks. You're looking at an ADVERTISEMENT for a system or a school, not the entire how-to. This makes things a bit difficult, since the people who wrote the treatises are long since, well dead, and so are those that studied their systems for the most part. You can only learn so much from a book, ya know? We have a good time at our rapier academy, but in the end, we only know what's in the 1.33 Walpurgis Manuscript and a bit of Talhoffer and Liechtenauer because of what we've read. Chances are we're not executing them correctly, which is dangerous...and that's how people get hurt.

You're best bet, before you pick a school, is to do a considerable amount of research on who teaches what, and has trained with whom, to give you the best education for your buck.

You are using I.33, Talhoffer and Liechtenauer with rapiers? :? :?

Luna

Quote from: Donald Coyote on March 28, 2011, 04:07:37 PM

Several of the guys play with 2-handed blades.  (Me, I haven't gotten the hang of it, I like my sword & dagger.)
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Suu

Quote from: Donald Coyote on March 28, 2011, 04:07:37 PM

Liechtenhauer is a "fencing" style, and it's mostly positions and parries anyway (and it totally fucking works, mind you.) Talhoffer is only effective if your blade is over 40", and you can fight with a federschwert in the SCA in the rapier lists now anyway, it's a long sword treatise, and the I.33 is buckler. They're all applicable.

Fiore and Capoferro only go so far, and that's what EVERYONE uses. German techniques are superior to Italian. Italian and Spanish were courtly and fancy, used more for penis extension street brawls rather than effective military-style killin'. If you want to do a gentlemanly duel and look pretty, play Fiore. If you want to WIN, play Talhoffer.