News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

Make Hawks heart healthy.

Started by Adios, April 26, 2011, 08:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Since my cholesterol is in the danger zone I am being forced to alter my eating habits. I will not scarifice taste for longevity, however.

I have given up whiskey, mayo, cheese and pretty much all fatty foods except whole milk and real butter.

To eliminate whiskey I have taken a frozen sugar free fruit blend and added a decent red wine and tossed it in the blender to make a smoothie.

All fried foods are hereby eliminated and olive oil has replaced regular cooking oil.

Last night I made grilled butterfly pork chops that I cut from a nice tenderloin, the only seasoning was Kick Ass Butt Rub™. I also made a broccoli, vermachelli and rice combo. I rounded this out with applesauce and a baked potato. Yes, I know there are two starches there, but I just started this.

Recipes are welcome.

Freeky

Chicken Palak. This is a MUST MUST MUST try, because it IS super delicious and you will be surprised.

Ingredients:

Greek yogurt (I use honey flavor, but the original recipe calls for plain yogurt)
20 oz of spinach, frozen or fresh (fresh takes longer to prepare, frozen is quicker but makes a bigger mess)
4 pounds of boneless chicken meat (I prefer using thigh to breast)
3 medium onions
12 cloves of garlic, if you only have the regular kind, or 5 cloves of elephant garlic, minced (squished if possible)
Ground Spices to your liking (I use the following: smoked and sweet paprika, turmeric, coriander, fresh ground black pepper, salt, chili powder, curry powder, roasted ginger powder, roasted ground cinamon, and sumak, and ground cardamom)
Olive oil for frying.
The following WHOLE spices; cinnamon (3 sticks), 12 cloves, garam masala (not really whole, but a must-use spice), 5 pods star anise, 8 all-spice berries

If you're using frozen spinach, defrost and drain first.

Peel onions, cut in half, and slice thinly, so they look like half-moons.  Heat oil in a deep pot, and add in all the spices. Fry until they smell very strongly.  If you're using fresh spinach, start cooking that in 5 ounce batches, adding more when there is more room in the pot.  Then add in the onions, and fry until golden brown. (If you're using frozen spinach, skip adding the spinach right now.)  Add in the chicken and cook until the water from the onions evaporates.  If you're using the frozen spinach, add that now, as well as the garlic.  Cook until the chicken is cooked through but tender.  Remove from heat, and add enough yogurt until the sauce is creamy.

DEVOUR WITH PLEASURE, and salt to taste if necessary.

LMNO

To be honest, a lot of the recipes in the Cooking with LMNO thread fit your requirements with only slight alterations.  However, seeing as how you're looking tex mex, I will research and post later.

Adios

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on April 26, 2011, 08:56:17 PM
To be honest, a lot of the recipes in the Cooking with LMNO thread fit your requirements with only slight alterations.  However, seeing as how you're looking tex mex, I will research and post later.

I will look, not specifically looking for Tex-Mex.

Freeky

This makes a good snack:

Fried onions and tomatoes!

ingredients:

Olive oil, for frying
half a sweet onion
3 TBSP of sundried tomatoes in oil

Coat a pan lightly in oil, and heat.  Cut your half onion into half-moon slices, and add to pan.  Add salt, pepper, and anything else you want.  Cook until golden brown.  Add the sundried tomatoes, and cook until they and the onions are slightly charred.  Remove from oil, and drain on paper towel if necessary.  Eat on bread or by itself!

Adios

Quote from: Jenkem and Tomahawks on April 26, 2011, 08:54:23 PM
Chicken Palak. This is a MUST MUST MUST try, because it IS super delicious and you will be surprised.

Ingredients:

Greek yogurt (I use honey flavor, but the original recipe calls for plain yogurt)
20 oz of spinach, frozen or fresh (fresh takes longer to prepare, frozen is quicker but makes a bigger mess)
3 medium onions
12 cloves of garlic, if you only have the regular kind, or 5 cloves of elephant garlic, minced (squished if possible)
Ground Spices to your liking (I use the following: smoked and sweet paprika, turmeric, coriander, fresh ground black pepper, salt, chili powder, curry powder, roasted ginger powder, roasted ground cinamon, and sumak, and ground cardamom)
Olive oil for frying.
The following WHOLE spices; cinnamon (3 sticks), 12 cloves, garam masala (not really whole, but a must-use spice), 5 pods star anise, 8 all-spice berries

Peel onions, cut in half, and slice thinly, so they look like half-moons.  Heat oil in a deep pot, and add in all the spices. Fry until they smell very strongly.  If you're using fresh spinach, start cooking that in 5 ounce batches, adding more when there is more room in the pot.  Then add in the onions, and fry until golden brown. (If you're using frozen spinach, skip adding the spinach right now.)  Add in the chicken and cook until the water from the onions evaporates.  If you're using the frozen spinach, add that now, as well as the garlic.  Cook until the chicken is cooked through but tender.  Remove from heat, and add enough yogurt until the sauce is creamy.

Good grief, how many people are you cooking for???  Terri and I usually split a meal when we go out.

Adios

Quote from: Jenkem and Tomahawks on April 26, 2011, 09:05:19 PM
This makes a good snack:

Fried onions and tomatoes!

ingredients:

Olive oil, for frying
half a sweet onion
3 TBSP of sundried tomatoes in oil

Coat a pan lightly in oil, and heat.  Cut your half onion into half-moon slices, and add to pan.  Add salt, pepper, and anything else you want.  Cook until golden brown.  Add the sundried tomatoes, and cook until they and the onions are slightly charred.  Remove from oil, and drain on paper towel if necessary.  Eat on bread or by itself!

I may make this as a topping for a grilled chicken breast!

Freeky

Quote from: Charley Brown on April 26, 2011, 09:07:06 PM

Ingredients:

3 medium onions
Olive oil for frying.

Good grief, how many people are you cooking for???  Terri and I usually split a meal when we go out.

3-4 people. :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenkem and Tomahawks on April 26, 2011, 09:23:13 PM

Ingredients:

3 medium onions
Olive oil for frying.

Yeah, Ian is a bit of a food snob, and will settle for nothing less than Taco Bell.  :vom:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

:lulz:  he eats what I make sometimes, when it isn't fancy.

Adios

:eek:

That's a pound of chicken per person!!!!!

Damn, we have to share a 1/3 pound burger between us.

Freeky

Well, I make enough for leftovers.

Adios

Quote from: Jenkem and Tomahawks on April 26, 2011, 10:00:31 PM
Well, I make enough for leftovers.

Ah! I try to make just enough for one meal, that would be the difference.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 26, 2011, 09:26:35 PM
Quote from: Jenkem and Tomahawks on April 26, 2011, 09:23:13 PM

Ingredients:

3 medium onions
Olive oil for frying.

Yeah, Ian is a bit of a food snob, and will settle for nothing less than Taco Bell.  :vom:

Now while I do enjoy eating that shitty excuse for food, WTF?????

Also, I could probably eat half of that without realizing it.

Coyote, secretly a fat kid who likes cake inside.

Freeky

Hawk, you should not eat the following, BUT OMG COYOTE PIECAKE. SHITFUCKdAMN.