Oceana has always been at war with Iraq

Main Menu

YAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGANARRRRRRRG!

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 29, 2011, 09:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Quote from: R.W.H.N. on May 13, 2011, 05:21:30 PM
Quote from: Suu on May 13, 2011, 05:14:27 PM
That's emphasis, which you only get in spoken word, not in written. Which is why there's so much unnecessary drama on the internets.

Yeah, because you can't make the wild gesticulations with your arms.  That always gets the point across better.  RWHN said while doing The Robot.

:fap2:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If you read or write poetry, English is fucking GREAT.

I can see how it would irritate everyone else, though.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on May 13, 2011, 06:08:02 PM

That's one thing. Field related jargon gets pretty ridiculous though. Since English allows for weak grammar, you get crazy shit like that. Like the "do a solve" thing mentioned earlier. Pointful annoys me.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on May 13, 2011, 06:24:17 PM

Ah, the classics.  :D
Never figured out if Bill Milano really believes all that stuff or if he's makig fun of it. Poe's Law.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Blight on May 13, 2011, 06:25:35 PM
Quote from: Nigel on May 13, 2011, 06:08:02 PM

That's one thing. Field related jargon gets pretty ridiculous though. Since English allows for weak grammar, you get crazy shit like that. Like the "do a solve" thing mentioned earlier. Pointful annoys me.

Yeah, that shit's basically obfuscation.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on May 13, 2011, 08:49:16 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD on May 13, 2011, 06:24:17 PM

Ah, the classics.  :D
Never figured out if Bill Milano really believes all that stuff or if he's makig fun of it. Poe's Law.

This may help answer your question.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J88OsUcEDOs
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Anna Mae Bollocks

:lol: Thanks, R.W.H.N...
I've wondered about those guys ever since this...the calculated stupidity had me thinking it might be a troll.

Jenne

Quote from: Luna on May 13, 2011, 02:44:16 PM
I almost picked up a T-shirt at the last convention that said something along the lines of:

"English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over the head, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar."

FUCK YEAH.  I want that t-shirt!

I love the plasticity of English.  I know it drives others nuts, but I fucking love it.

Succulent Plant

Is anyone noticing other languages starting to steal words too?  My cousin lives in Russia and works as an interpreter, and called raging last week because someone put up a sign in St. Petersburg about a shopping mall.  They apparently nicked the English word 'shopping' and spelled it Russian style.

Jenne

That happens a lot, Aloe.  If a language doesn't have the term in its lexicon, or if there's a certain what linguists call a "prestige factor" or cultural asset attached to the meaning of the word in that foreign language, it's borrowed. 

L'Ecole Francaise in France is dedicated to weeding this out and replacing the borrowed words with long, drawn-out French ones.

...but the French still use the English words as argot, of course... :lol:

Succulent Plant

Quote from: Jenne on May 14, 2011, 06:17:24 PM
That happens a lot, Aloe.  If a language doesn't have the term in its lexicon, or if there's a certain what linguists call a "prestige factor" or cultural asset attached to the meaning of the word in that foreign language, it's borrowed. 

L'Ecole Francaise in France is dedicated to weeding this out and replacing the borrowed words with long, drawn-out French ones.

...but the French still use the English words as argot, of course... :lol:

Interesting, I wasn't sure if this was a common practice or not. lol

Anna Mae Bollocks

Russians don't have a word for "shopping"? Or they think there's something prestigious about american MALLS?

Adios

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on May 14, 2011, 06:27:22 PM
Russians don't have a word for "shopping"? Or they think there's something prestigious about american MALLS?

How dare you question marketing skillz!!!  :lulz:

Succulent Plant

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on May 14, 2011, 06:27:22 PM

Not sure if there's not a word for it, or if the advertisers just decided to use the english word to promote their "American Style" mall.