News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

OSAMA BIN LADEN CONFIRMED DEAD.

Started by Suu, May 02, 2011, 03:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

I'm going to have to disagree with those on the cynical side of this.

Yeah, there's still loads of problems, and yeah, Al Qaeda will continue.

But HE'S dead.  So you'll forgive me if I enjoy the moment.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on May 02, 2011, 03:19:41 PM
Also, some muslim customs say the body should be buried within a day. If they kept the body, it would be more fodder for the crazies.

If they have pictures and DNA and no videos of Osama saying "HA HA FOOLED YOU" then I think we can safely say that he's dead.

It won't stop terrorism, it won't destroy AQ... but for fucks sake, this is the asshole that inspired some idiots to change my country forever. Idiots on the plane. Idiot Americans willing to hand everything over to Mommy Government, idiot congress that willingly signed away our rights, idiot americans that expressed their anger and fear by backing Very Bad Foreign Policy ideas...

Also, Fuck Yeah for Obama sending in a couple helicopters full of Navy Death Panels.  :lulz:

This.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 02, 2011, 03:20:40 PM

But HE'S dead.  So you'll forgive me if I enjoy the moment.

Thank you, Roger.

He's dead. He's fucking dead. This is a victory, and there is no reason why every single person in the United States right now shouldn't have a beer or six. Cynics and conspiracy theorists can lick my fat white American ass.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Ok, I'm with you guys.  But then I turned on my TV this morning and I see footage of a pack of rednecks, drunk, singing that "We'll put a boot up your ass" song, and bellowing "USA! USA!" and... well, yeah.  It had the feel of a bunch of Old Testament vengance-monkeys, howling for blood.

Suu

You know what? Let them. They have every reason to celebrate as much as the rest of us, they're just the ones that will make international news.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Dido

Quote from: Suu the Infallible on May 02, 2011, 12:33:04 PM
I almost feel like taking off to Manhattan on Wednesday morning after my classes are done and putting down 4 white roses instead of red. It's going to have to wait until September, though.

You and everyone else. And *you* will be totally sincere but *someone* will still be milking the event for what it is worth.

The good part is that political cynicism doesn't bring people back.  OBL will probably stay dead.

Suu

Quote from: Dido on May 02, 2011, 03:43:51 PM
Quote from: Suu the Infallible on May 02, 2011, 12:33:04 PM
I almost feel like taking off to Manhattan on Wednesday morning after my classes are done and putting down 4 white roses instead of red. It's going to have to wait until September, though.

You and everyone else. And *you* will be totally sincere but *someone* will still be milking the event for what it is worth.

The good part is that political cynicism doesn't bring people back.  OBL will probably stay dead.

Die in a fire.

Under 2000 tons of twisted steel and jet fuel, if possible.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on May 02, 2011, 03:29:39 PM
Ok, I'm with you guys.  But then I turned on my TV this morning and I see footage of a pack of rednecks, drunk, singing that "We'll put a boot up your ass" song, and bellowing "USA! USA!" and... well, yeah.  It had the feel of a bunch of Old Testament vengance-monkeys, howling for blood.

Everyone at work has a huge grin on their face... people are sitting at the Starbucks watching the big screen TV, just like they did on 9/11... but this time, they're happy, not scared, they're laughing, not crying. Howling Vengeance Monkeys? Of course they are, they're just human after all. Humans that went from feeling safe to feeling scared, from thinking we were invulnerable to thinking that every guy with a weird name may be planning to kill them.

Of course they're behaving like monkeys, the past ten years has fucked the 1st, 2nd and 3rd circuit of almost every American.

Also... OOK OOK with a huge fucking grin on my face. :lulz:

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Suu

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on May 02, 2011, 03:58:35 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD on May 02, 2011, 03:29:39 PM

Everyone at work has a huge grin on their face... people are sitting at the Starbucks watching the big screen TV, just like they did on 9/11... but this time, they're happy, not scared, they're laughing, not crying. Howling Vengeance Monkeys? Of course they are, they're just human after all. Humans that went from feeling safe to feeling scared, from thinking we were invulnerable to thinking that every guy with a weird name may be planning to kill them.

Of course they're behaving like monkeys, the past ten years has fucked the 1st, 2nd and 3rd circuit of almost every American.

Also... OOK OOK with a huge fucking grin on my face. :lulz:

To hear my mother cry tears of joy and not sadness for the first time in years made my fucking LIFE last night.

Luna

This.

Is it the end?  Maybe not...  But knocking a head off the hydra's still worth celebrating.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

There is a difference between being happy about something and acting like you are at a Superbowl victory party like a lot of people they keep showing on the news.
And the latter group of people are the ones the rest of the world will see. Rubbing it in people's faces and chanting USA! repeatedly will just inspire more terrorists to attack. Overzealous celebrations make the whole country look bad.

Suu

Quote from: The Fred ⊂(◉‿◉)つ on May 02, 2011, 04:06:58 PM
There is a difference between being happy about something and acting like you are at a Superbowl victory party like a lot of people they keep showing on the news.
And the latter group of people are the ones the rest of the world will see. Rubbing it in people's faces and chanting USA! repeatedly will just inspire more terrorists to attack. Overzealous celebrations make the whole country look bad.

Did Germany look bad when the Wall came down?

LET. THEM. CELEBRATE.

Adios

Right there with you.

Suu, I am happy for your family, as well as all the other families affected by 9/11.

I expect security world wide to be tightened for a couple of months. This is capable of driving some fanatics out of hiding and into target range.
Looking at this thing head on I realize it could cause many subtle changes. These changes could come in the form of cells being exposed, suicide bombers realizing that they could be caught and backing out, new leadership being forced to risk some exposure in order to complete leadership changes, etc.

No, it won't stop terrorism, but if it is used correctly it could damn sure give it a kick in the teeth.

Suu

BTW, I don't know if I ever bothered sharing this with you guys...

<---- One of my 42,000 cousins out of the 7 that serve[d] in the NYPD/FDNY. Obviously, that one is still alive.

Jenne

They're saying that photo was fake, the one released of his supposed body all over the 'net last night.

Either way, I think *everyone*'s right.  Let 'em celebrate, let those who feel disgusted by the savoring of his death in so public and monkey-man ways feel disgusted, and let those who feel a peace with his demise also express their lifted burden.

Like I said--one way or another, it's one less evil fucko.