News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

What is it with all the 20-something drones?

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, May 05, 2011, 08:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

I'm pretty sure one of them is PMing the Mgt.

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on May 06, 2011, 08:10:55 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 06, 2011, 08:07:06 PM
Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on May 06, 2011, 08:05:21 PM
And "HOLY FUCK I thought I was doing good but people my age are buying houses and getting married and OH GOD 30 is getting closer"

1.  On what kind of mortgages?  In a sinking market?   :lulz:

2.  Getting married for the sake of getting married is the 3rd dumbest thing you can do.

What are the first 2 dumbest?

I can think of "have a kid to save a marriage," off the top of my head.

That's #5.

1.  PM The Mgt, and

2.  Find a "cause", and evangelize to everyone you know.

#4 is a group of behaviors, ranging from tugging on Superman's cape, spitting into the wind, tearing the mask off the ole Lone Ranger, and messing around with some guy named Jim.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jenne

This thread is awesome, if for no other reason than it really highlights what I think might be a serious economic issue for our society later on down the pike, moreso than it is today, even.

It's also awesome, in a one step further in the meta-meta-meta I sometimes engage in, in that it didn't blow up at all into a buncha drama like this place sometimes seems to go to instead of well-thought-out posts on wtf is up.

My immediate thoughts upon reading the OP were 1) who raised these guys?  huh? think about that one and 2) people don't usually see themselves in the light that was cast on them in the OP...if they did, their little egos would probably fashion something other than what they are now doing (wasting (imho) what little life they have on this planet before they go POOF!).

The fact that so many posters ITT are trying hard to say "that's NOT me" is two-fold--Roger called out specific people that, to him, are the antithesis of the OP (for good reason), so this is like indirectly calling on people to kind of self-evaluate and see if they measure up to that standard.  Comparison was inevitable.  Also, yes, it's natural to want to be the opposite of the thing that's publicly reviled (and, again, rightly so).

I think the calibre of poster here (which we talk about often) is evident in a thread like this one.  (Incidentally, and off-topic, while proof-reading a colleague's resume today, I noticed my standards of the written language and what's considered "professional writing" have really skyrocketed since coming here.  I read her shit and thought, Damn, woman, you TEACH for a living?  Jesus.  Anyway, I digress...)  Folks have been TRYING to keep a lid on the fail, and even if they fail at THAT, they don't give up.  And if they do give up, they go away.  And if they are here, they seem to be TRYING nonstop and give evidence of it.  It's awesome.

So while we are a group of fighters, it seems we don't just fight each other, we fight to win.  No matter where we are.

I should kick down my own history of win, at some point, but I think y'all know me well enough to know I HAVE a history.  Of win.  Or at least of Fight.  :lol:

Jenne

...sorry that was totally TL;DR.  Shoulda broken it up a bit.

Succulent Plant

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 06, 2011, 07:38:46 PM
What's really interesting is how many people feel the need to point out that THEY aren't drones, when nobody here would assume they are.

So, it goes from "Tucson and Hamilton have this problem, and it can be inferred that it exists elsewhere" to "I had to walk 40 miles to work as a jackhammer bit in the salt mines, uphill both ways in a snowstorm, to pay for my degree, and I spent 10 years living in a paper bag in the gutter, but through grit and determination, I have accidentally the Horatio Alger."

I wonder what part of the human psyche drives that?

Perhaps jealousy over never experiencing the non-responsibility of droneism for some...  :lulz: 

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 06, 2011, 08:07:06 PM
Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on May 06, 2011, 08:05:21 PM
And "HOLY FUCK I thought I was doing good but people my age are buying houses and getting married and OH GOD 30 is getting closer"

1.  On what kind of mortgages?  In a sinking market?   :lulz:

2.  Getting married for the sake of getting married is the 3rd dumbest thing you can do.

That's the thing of it too...

1.   Yea, exactly, not something that we need. And while it would be kind of nice to *own* (theoretically speaking since the bank's gonna be owning these people's houses for however long) what we're paying in for, we also have our utilities paid for (excluding luxuries like cable & internet), maintenance covered, no taxes and no mortgage. And not necessarily being tied down to this area.

2.   Also agreed. We've been together almost six years, living together 5.5 out of that without killing each other so far. We've talked about marriage maybe eventually, but we've got a good thing going, so why ruin it. One of my younger sister's friends is getting married this summer – both still live at home, part time jobs, in school. I mean no offense, but really?

So, I guess it is kind of stupid/silly to...be affected by(?) these things since it's not even things we necessarily want. Maybe some of that conditioning of "what you're supposed to do to be an adult™". I guess just even though we don't want a house, white picket fence and 2.5 kids, etc. we're in somewhat of a turmoil between just going with it and what do we want to do/can we do(anything you set your mind to!)/should we be doing
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on May 06, 2011, 08:33:26 PM
So, I guess it is kind of stupid/silly to...be affected by(?) these things since it's not even things we necessarily want. Maybe some of that conditioning of "what you're supposed to do to be an adult™". I guess just even though we don't want a house, white picket fence and 2.5 kids, etc. we're in somewhat of a turmoil between just going with it and what do we want to do/can we do(anything you set your mind to!)/should we be doing

That's the sale of the American Nightmare™, that is.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Luna

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on May 06, 2011, 08:33:26 PM
One of my younger sister's friends is getting married this summer – both still live at home, part time jobs, in school. I mean no offense, but really?

Fucking hell.

Life lesson, never, EVER marry anybody who hasn't had to sweat paying rent.  If they can't exist as a functioning human under their own power, you're going to be carrying their sorry ass either for the rest of his or her life, or until you get tired of the load and chuck it to the curb.

And if you've never sweated paying rent, get out there and figure out how to get by on your own BEFORE you pick somebody else to lean on.  Some day you might HAVE to do it alone, and you're gonna be in piss poor shape if you haven't learned the skills.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

LMNO

Plus, as you've said TGRR, you don't want to be the 40-year-old at the club.

Well, I do, but that's because I have the wrong values.  

Plus I have a lot of clubs populated by my peer/age group.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on May 06, 2011, 08:36:33 PM

That's different.

Payne

What's really interesting is how many people feel the need to point out that THEY aren't drones, when nobody here would assume they are.

So, it goes from "Tucson and Hamilton have this problem, and it can be inferred that it exists elsewhere" to "I had to walk 40 miles to work as a jackhammer bit in the salt mines, uphill both ways in a snowstorm, to pay for my degree, and I spent 10 years living in a paper bag in the gutter, but through grit and determination, I have accidentally the Horatio Alger."

I dunno, I was thinking more from the point of view that I'm still on the edge of being a drone. I really do have to just keep throwing myself forward for fear of stopping or even sinking.

But then again, how you describe it works too for what I wrote.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Payne on May 06, 2011, 08:41:07 PM

I dunno, I was thinking more from the point of view that I'm still on the edge of being a drone. I really do have to just keep throwing myself forward for fear of stopping or even sinking.

You also have Pix behind you with a baseball bat.  No worries.

Jenne

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on May 06, 2011, 08:36:33 PM
Plus, as you've said TGRR, you don't want to be the 40-year-old at the club.

Well, I do, but that's because I have the wrong values. 

Once I lose all my weight, I'm going to find a fucking club like that, because, and I don't care if this cougars me out, I LOVE to dance.  I fucking LOVE to dance.  And clubs are about the only way I can do this without feeling foolish.  So I'd love to find those 40-and-over places without looking fucking ridiculoso and go for it.

Once I lose all my weight.

Payne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 06, 2011, 08:41:54 PM
Quote from: Payne on May 06, 2011, 08:41:07 PM

You also have Pix behind you with a baseball bat.  No worries.

:)